Hey,

So, I did a bit of reading up.

Do i have to strum the string at the same time as fretting?

I mean, isn't that like, really hard to do?

I can do it at slow speeds, but if i increase my speed a little bit, ill go out of time.

Is this just another practice matter?

And, I read the stickies, but I still don't understand why economy picking's supposed to be better.
I honestly dont know whether this is a troll or not...
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
No, sorry if it seemed as if i was trolling, it was an honest question.

I've only properly been playing guitar for a month, and nothing more difficult than basic chords and stuff.
wow, are you sure you want to try and take on the hardest technique designed for guitar?
I mean, it would probably take years, maybe decades of practice..

EDIT: seeing you are not a troll (hmm)

alternate picking is simply doing up- aswell as downstrokes,instead of just down or upstrokes. Yes, you have to fret wil doing this, it'll probably become second nature for you after some time of practice.
Keep practicing at low speeds and gradually increase the speed, also practice with a metronome.
and I see you referring to economy picking, which is another technique.
economy picking:http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/economy_picking.html
alternate picking:http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/alternate_picking_technique.html

good luck practicing
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Last edited by constructbot at Jul 19, 2009,
Wait, are you serious?

I thought alternate picking was difficult to master, but quite a basic technique.

I'm actually quite confused now.
Just because it's a basic technique doesn't mean it's not hard to master. Yes, it is very tricky at first to get both hands doing their things in time and correctly but it does happen with practice! Secondly, the stickies don't say anything about economy picking being better.
well u should do a hammeron a milli second before you strum the note , check a video here ( i think the name is improve shred tonality or smth ) , the video is for shredding but im sure it'll help
Quote by IbanezRgGod
well u should do a hammeron a milli second before you strum the note , check a video here ( i think the name is improve shred tonality or smth ) , the video is for shredding but im sure it'll help

uhm, that's hammer-ons and pull-offs your talking about.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by constructbot
uhm, that's hammer-ons and pull-offs your talking about.

nope , when you're picking , you must fret the note before u pick it ....
Quote by IbanezRgGod
nope , when you're picking , you must fret the note before u pick it ....

ah yes ofcourse, I thought you were saying something different, my bad
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by IbanezRgGod

...really they should be happening at the same time, and what you're saying will just confuse people!
Quote by chainsawguitar
...really they should be happening at the same time, and what you're saying will just confuse people!

My bad , should've explained it in a better way , just check the video and see what i mean