I've always been curious how tubes exactly work in an amp.

I know the basics: the tubes use some kind of vacuum to increase the original signal of the guitar/input/whatever.

But from the naked eye, they just look like lightbulbs to me. Can someone please explain to me, in layman's terms, what exactly the physical tubes are doing when the amp is on and in use?

Thank you.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Well, when a mommy and daddy love each other very much...

Sorry, I had to. Just search it up on google.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
There was a column on this not long ago, have a look around there. If i remember correctly they are pretty much light bulbs.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Here is your answer

Sorry I had to!
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by dcdossett65
Well, when a mommy and daddy love each other very much...

Sorry, I had to. Just search it up on google.

lmao...
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
Quote by mmolteratx
Search Google for the RCA Receiving Tube Manual. It explains everything and I found a scanned copy online not too long ago.

EDIT: Here it is. http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/tubes/rc25/contents.html

yeah, the RCA manual is beyond badass (thanks for that link, I've bookmarked it). It gets very heavy very quickly (at least, if it's the same one i've read), but at least you know you're getting the proper info, not a watered-down, dumbed-down pseudo-science version.

The aiken amps website has some pretty good info, too.

Quote by Ninja Penguin77
Here is your answer

Sorry I had to!

that might have been funnier if you'd spelt "vacuum" correctly.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, the RCA manual is beyond badass. It gets very heavy very quickly (at least, if it's the same one i've read), but at least you know you're getting the proper info, not a watered-down, dumbed-down pseudo-science version.

I should have mentioned that it gets pretty technical and if you have a short attention span, it's probably not for you. It's extremely useful though and IMO a must read if you want to know about tubes. I haven't found anything with more information in it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
yeah, it's great, i wasn't meaning to suggest that it wasn't. I made it about as far as tubes worked, maybe 10 pages in (to be fair, my uncle wanted his copy back). But it certainly explained stuff far better than any other book i've read which is more aimed at laypeople- they may be less heavy going, but if you're over-simplifying to the point where some of the info is wrong (or worse, the writer is a layperson him/herself and doesn't understand it properly!), then that's no use either.

Some things are just complicated, and while analogies and simplifications are useful, there's no point if they're giving you the wrong end of the stick.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 19, 2009,