Page 1 of 2
hey guys. i leave on vacation tomorrow, so there won't be any progress for about a month. but i do have all the parts ordered and waiting at my grandma's house.

btw, this is my first build!

the specs are:

maple neck
22 frets
reverse headstock
25.5 in scale
Evo 2 bridge pup
YJM middle pup
Evolution neck pup
Kahler 7200 tremolo
1 vol 1 tone (push/pull volume)
5-way switch
and assorted other things of lesser importance at this moment

i haven't picked out wood yet, but I will upon returning to the KSA. apparently, there's good hardwood here! my dad knows a place somewhere deep in the city outside our compound. so i'll figure that out later.

anyway, to keep you occupied for the moment, here are two pics of the template i made. as it says in the title, this is an ergonomic guitar. i didn't design it to look cool, but i kinda think it does.

depending on what style of music your going for basswood might be a good choice for this sort of build because it's really light. of course, it could be way too light sooo, maybe alder?
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Looks like something B.C. Rich would come up with.

I want to say it looks cool, but at the same time, I don't know what to think of it.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by bored_maniac33
depending on what style of music your going for basswood might be a good choice for this sort of build because it's really light. of course, it could be way too light sooo, maybe alder?

idk still. it also depends on what i can find here. it's saudi arabia!

Quote by fluffpuff999
What is ergonomic?

i looked it up on dictionary.com just to make sure i got it right but

"The applied science of equipment design, as for the workplace, intended to maximize productivity by reducing operator fatigue and discomfort."

this also applys to guitars the shape puts the neck right where i want it, with everything at the best angles.

i'm thinking of scalloping the neck too... maybe just 12-22. bad idea? i've done a lot of work on guitars so i don't think i'm jumping in over my head on any of this.
looks like a parker fly kind of a bc rich warlock kind of a mockingbird kind of a thing you've got going there...
Do you think that the elbow rest will be comfortable enough?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Instead of that Kahler trem, get an LR Baggs X-Bridge. It's a vibrator with piezos.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
doesnt look to ergo
My Fun Guitars
Fender Strat
Ibanez Rg-320

My Junk Guitars
Hondo II acoustic
Yamaha F-310
Jay Turser Les paul knock off of doom
Quote by blindsagacity
Do you think that the elbow rest will be comfortable enough?

yeah, it should be fine. it's a touch big when i'm in a regular sitting position. but it's fantastic when in the classical position (which i play in more).

Quote by Baby Joel
Instead of that Kahler trem, get an LR Baggs X-Bridge. It's a vibrator with piezos.

looks really cool john, but i'm dead set on the kahler. i love em. and it's ordered already i'm only in the USA for 2 and a half weeks this year.
Ah I see. Kahler's are good trems though.
I just thought with you wanting ergonomical and all, piezos are awesome, but Kahlers make really good trems.

I can't wait to see how this goes!
it's all coming back

^Grraphtech makes Piezo Saddles for Floyds, too.

Looks like it'll be a pretty sweet build when it's done

What will you be doing in terms of having it balanced properly on the strap? Looks like it'll balance well with the cutaway, especially if you bring the endpin up closer to the crotch. Still, I would probably use a heavier wood to balance it, or maybe a medium weight wood with a nice heavy maple top (though we don't want it to be front heavy). Maybe you could go reverse and have a denser, heavier backing with a lighter wood top? Maybe white ash on the back with a swamp ash or alder top? Wenge or rosewood, if you could find it, would be really warm, and are good heavy woods that should sustain for days and sound huge. A few weight reduction pockets might be needed, but that'll just add to the inherent warmth and vibe of the guitar.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
thanks!

i've heard only good things about piezos. maybe for another build that would be awesome.

EDIT TO SHIN: that is one of the main reasons of the cutaway. to be honest, i'm kinda scared to do a top, though, i love the look of them tremendusly. i'm going to see what i can find. i've never been to this shop my dad is telling me about. so i'll have to see what they have. all wood here is imported. everything... ugh. but thanks for the ideas.

oh, and as a note, i want to bevel the edges on the front. and add a comfort bevel in the back (similar to an RG or strat). i'm gonna have to map that out more when i get the electronics and hardware on it.
Last edited by Sonic Blast at Jul 19, 2009,
Sorry, but i don't like it. It looks unbalanced and awkward. The neck seems too low on the body and that bottom horn looks too pointy and fragile. Plus a lot more things i don't like, but if you like it, go for it.
^It would be an interesting challenge for the GB&C for all the builders to come up with their OWN ergonomic designs and see how it turns out

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

well, part of the whole point of ergonomics is the indivituality of it all. what works for me wouldn't work for heaps of other people and vice versa.

so yeah. that would be really cool!
I'd suggest using bubinga for the whole body. It's weight will keep it from neck diving, and it will have massive sustain, which, when put together with that Fernandes, means you could hold a note for years and years.
it's all coming back

@shin, I think an ergonomic build competition similar to the RMOGC would be a great idea for GB&C, everyone would learn more and it would build the community and its knowledge base.

not to thread jack, but would anyone else be up for this?
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

I'd love to do it myself Once I become able to build guitars, that is.

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
^It would be an interesting challenge for the GB&C for all the builders to come up with their OWN ergonomic designs and see how it turns out

http://www.elutherie.org/

Food for thought...

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
^yep, I''m a big fan of Rick Toone's work as far as ergonomics go.

/threadjack
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

dang... before this i couldn't honestly say any thread i had posted had gotten onto the second page!

i'd really like to see an ergo build competition or just more people making them. with completely original designs too!

any suggestions on the scallop and bevel ideas, or anything else?
Just to satisfy my own curiousity, have you ever seen or played an Ovation Deacon/Ovation Breadwinner?

I've got one, and I have gone through great lengths to find an uncomfortable realistic position while playing it, with little success. It's the most ergonomic guitar I've ever encountered. It or a clone of it would be a strong contender in any ergnomics competition.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by Sonic Blast
dang... before this i couldn't honestly say any thread i had posted had gotten onto the second page!

i'd really like to see an ergo build competition or just more people making them. with completely original designs too!

any suggestions on the scallop and bevel ideas, or anything else?

Scalloping really only helps technique if you do the whole neck, but 12-22 might be alright (better than 20-22 that others might do ). Bevel all the smoother curves somehow

Stupid name.

i really don't like ovation acoustics. the rounded back is terrible imo. but that's a really cool guitar. i bet it would be very comfortable! but is it head heavy?

shin: lol... i've never understood scalloping the highest frets. you couldn't touch the wood if you tried anyway. i've just heard that scalloping is only very good for soloing. so i figured i'd only do it in the 12-22 area. and maybe in the 4-9 area too. just to be different, and i solo there a lot
your template kinda looks like a person with the arms and legs...

Also I don't really think another one of these build competitions is a good idea, the last two pretty much failed after a week
The ovation breadwinner was the design the klein was based on, which is the most well known ergo design out there, and the basis that we compare/measure most other ergonomic designs off of today.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

Quote by Sonic Blast
i really don't like ovation acoustics. the rounded back is terrible imo. but that's a really cool guitar. i bet it would be very comfortable! but is it head heavy?

I don't like Ovations acoustics either - I only dig their old solidbodies. And no, mine is perfectly balanced, and beautiful.
hey all! i'm in the USA now. (utah to be exact) I've got most of the gear i've ordered, and the rest is coming pretty soon. It's enough for this build, a neck-thru firebird, and to redo my doubleneck. I got it all now because shipping is such a pain and costs more than i want to pay for it

and sorry, my grandma's computer is too slow to upload pix. but there's some pretty awesome stuff hur. i won't be able to get on the internet much until the end of august.

I just found out that i need a super 5 way switch to do this stuff... dang... more gear though! i originally posted that I couldn't figure this out, but i found a diagram.
Last edited by Sonic Blast at Jul 22, 2009,
Quote by Sonic Blast

shin: lol... i've never understood scalloping the highest frets. you couldn't touch the wood if you tried anyway. i've just heard that scalloping is only very good for soloing. so i figured i'd only do it in the 12-22 area. and maybe in the 4-9 area too. just to be different, and i solo there a lot

unique idea! And it would be custom made for YOU, just like the rest of the guitar! Go for it

Stupid name.

hey guys! i'm back in saudi now, and i've finished my first week of school as of wednesday. so i'm back to school tomorrow.

I've been working on scalloping the neck, frets 5-9 and 12-22. Everything seems to be going just fine. pics when i'm finished! I'll be going to get wood sometime soon. My dad says there's hardwood in saudi! i'm pretty stoked. So I'll go and get that soon. I'm thinking about mahogany because I really like the tone. but we'll see what they have. what else would you guys suggest if i can't get mahogany?

also, I have a wiring diagram for my pup layout. and all the parts necessary. BUT, I wanted to do coil tapping on the bridge humbucker, and the wiring diagram doesn't have that worked into the picture. here it is. is it possible to get the coil tap in too?
Updates!!!!

we found wood. and mohagany at that!

here it is cut out, we're going to go into town and buy a router sometime soon, so i'll be able to get more done at that point.

with the neck, it's a neck I bought off ebay. it's a mightymite neck. and it seems to be really good. all the hardware on it is installed, and it is scalloped.

on with the pics!!!

Last edited by Sonic Blast at Sep 24, 2009,
the shape doens't look too ergonomic , and seems to be a bit too big comparing to the neck size. You will leave only some frets scalloped ? or will u do the whole thing?
Gear :Squier + Vypyr 15W / UCG102 + Picks = Awesomeness !
the shape fits me and the straight edges are in the right places for it to still fit my body. it's not actually very big. and yes, not all the frets will be scalloped in the end. the whole neck is done. we talked about that earlier on in the tread, i planned to do that because I solo mainly in those spots.
i dont think it will be too easy to pass from scalloped frets to normal instantanly...hae you try'd to play on a neck like that ? i sugest you try it first . It does look kinda kool a neck like that , but i guess will be a bit hard to play on.
Gear :Squier + Vypyr 15W / UCG102 + Picks = Awesomeness !
Looks awful in my opinion, Just build a strat, thats ergonomic enough.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
i can always scallop those frets if i don't like it. i'll just have to wait and see.

fuzzlove: maybe for you. I like strats, but they just don't do it for me. I have this body set so it fits my leg for regular position, and then it also fits me for classical position (which i play in a lot). the cutaway exposes all of the frets for play, though you can't see that now.

idk, i like it. oh well
Page 1 of 2