Page 1 of 2
I know I'll get the sexual jokes and stuff like you always do in the pit... But anyway...

I plan on becoming a musician, preferably in a band, and I was wondering... What would be the best job for me, whether it needs a college education or not, that I could make enough money to be able to live normally (as in being able to pay for rent for an apartment, pay for food, etc. etc. with still some money left over) and still have time to focus on the success of the band?
Impossible.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Fast Food, because its just like the rock n' roll lifestyle. Served fast, hard, and undercooked.
Quote by JacobTheMe
Fast Food, because its just like the rock n' roll lifestyle. Served fast, hard, and undercooked.

But would I be able to support myself without having to penny-pinch? That's the thing.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
I know I'll get the sexual jokes and stuff like you always do in the pit... But anyway...

I plan on becoming a musician
, preferably in a band, and I was wondering... What would be the best job for me, whether it needs a college education or not, that I could make enough money to be able to live normally (as in being able to pay for rent for an apartment, pay for food, etc. etc. with still some money left over) and still have time to focus on the success of the band?
Good luck with that
kill all humans
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
But would I be able to support myself without having to penny-pinch? That's the thing.

Your my age. Good luck finding a job that actually makes you money.

With the economy how it is, you won't ever be able to live without penny pinching.
one of my high school teachers was a front man of a band. you work for 9 months and then could do a summer tour or something like that.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Quote by JacobTheMe

With the economy how it is, you won't ever be able to live without penny pinching.

I'm not talking about right now... I'm talking about after college...
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Good luck with that

At least he's got ambition. What do you want to do?

I plan on becoming a musician as well. I'm currently getting my college education, so I'm a little better planned out, but anyone can actually become a successful musician with a little effort.

Enjoy your 9-5.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by metaldud536
You really should have a well thought out backup plan before "becoming a musicican."

He just had a very cunning plan....

...or so he thinks.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by shredzilla
one of my high school teachers was a front man of a band. you work for 9 months and then could do a summer tour or something like that.

Here... This is a good answer... Teacher's also get off work every day at around 4 or 5 or so, so I wouldn't have to work very late usually. And they get paid well enough to support themselves.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
Here... This is a good answer... Teacher's also get off work every day at around 4 or 5 or so, so I wouldn't have to work very late usually. And they get paid well enough to support themselves.

Ever corrected homeworks?
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by Kevy Absolution

I plan on becoming a musician as well. I'm currently getting my college education, so I'm a little better planned out, but anyone can actually become a successful musician with a little effort.

Enjoy your 9-5.

What's your major? just curious lol.
Quote by DirtyMakik

...or so he thinks.

It is definately not as cunning as a fox appointed professor of cunning at Oxford University.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Something flexible that you can work on on the road or do so easily in downtime. If you're bilingual, get a translation qualification and do that. It's fairly flexible. I'm probably gonna do this.
Quote by DirtyMakik
Ever corrected homeworks?

My sister's a teacher. She does all her homework correcting either at school on her off periods, or during the day on the weekends. and she still has plenty of time.
Quote by Kevy Absolution

Enjoy your 9-5.

agreed
I'm planning on studying music at university
Quote by Demon Wolf
It is definately not as cunning as a fox appointed professor of cunning at Oxford University.

funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
What's your major? just curious lol.

Music, General Concentration. Taking career-specific classes for Audio Engineering, i.e., recording and production.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
agreed
I'm planning on studying music at university

The only thing that makes me hesitant about majoring in music though, is what kind of jobs can you get from that particular major that you would actually have to have a degree for? Besides teaching?
Quote by DirtyMakik

...or so he thinks.

Makik, i've been meaning to ask. What is your cunning plan?
Quote by JacobTheMe

He can't tell you.

But it involves Queen Elizabeth II, the Nazi's, a bucket of trench water and an exceptionally large cucumber.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by JacobTheMe

'tis a very cunning plan.

F*ck you, JacobTheMe.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
The only thing that makes me hesitant about majoring in music though, is what kind of jobs can you get from that particular major that you would actually have to have a degree for? Besides teaching?

It helps to minor in Business or Administration; you can use that alongside your music degree or on its own.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR

Big wrong. My dad is a teacher. Teachers often have to stay late, and on weekends and holidays (especially the summer), they need to do work for credits (yes, teachers need to earn a certain amount of credits per year) and do things like lesson plans and grades.
Quote by Kevy Absolution
It helps to minor in Business or Administration; you can use that alongside your music degree or on its own.

So if you major in music and minor in business... You plan on becoming a record label rep or something?

But if you want to be some type of a business man, you won't be as qualified as if you majored in business. Would that affect how much you get paid or anything?
Quote by i_don't_know
Big wrong. My dad is a teacher. Teachers often have to stay late, and on weekends and holidays (especially the summer), they need to do work for credits (yes, teachers need to earn a certain amount of credits per year) and do things like lesson plans and grades.

But if I'm a music teacher... I wouldn't need to give homework... At least the music teachers at my school and in my area don't give homework... So that would free up a lot of time right?
Working at a record store would be relevant to your band.

Depending on the band, a liquor store would be also.
Musician goes further than being a rockstar......I am thinking about becoming a studio musician.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
But if I'm a music teacher... I wouldn't need to give homework... At least the music teachers at my school and in my area don't give homework... So that would free up a lot of time right?

No. You still have to do everything else. You'll be working constantly at home if you want to keep your job, because unless you earn tenure it's not guaranteed that you'll be asked to come back next school year.
quit your day job TS... that's right, quit-your-dayjob. work on your craft. and every so often we will check on your progress and encourage you to continue!

or we will tell you to STOP.

in which case, rules will be created and enforced.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
waiter if you don't want to go to college. Best paying non college job.

Edit: you could become a music teacher. You'd have to penny-pinch, but whatever, you can be a musician that way.
Last edited by pantera456 at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR

You should sub for a teacher for a long term, cause the teacher broke her leg or something. Anyway, instead of teaching them school stuff teach them to play rock and enroll them in the local Battle of the Bands. All while making a point about the enjoyment of life and futility of working class job to their parents.
Quote by Kevy Absolution

Enjoy your 9-5.

Honestly, I hope you're kidding. Do you realize how hard it is to make any sort of living in the music industry? It takes a huge amount of luck to become even remotely successful.
kill all humans
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Honestly, I hope you're kidding. Do you realize how hard it is to make any sort of living in the music industry? It takes a huge amount of luck to become even remotely successful.

And what's to stop us? What exactly makes us different than those who have become well-to-do artists before us?

Yes, I do know what it's like. I've recorded plenty of tracks for a demo and am currently finding someone out there to help put it out into a more mainstream field. Yeah, I'm well aware that it's hard; I'm dealing with it right now. But who us is closer to achieving this goal? Me and people like ItsOnlyGNR, who are actively pursuing our dreams by being extroverted musicians, or people like you who have already given up?

Not everybody pursues becoming an artist for money. Some of us enjoy playing and want to be heard. Some of us actually find a purpose in life other than playing on "professional gear" in our basements for the rest of our lives with our biggest fans being our wife and kids.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Last edited by Kevy Absolution at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by JacobTheMe

You Sir are a friggin' idiot, I hope your mother slaps you hard.
Quote by alaskan_ninja

You're exaggerating a bit, if someone is determined enough while promoting something ****ty, it'll catch on. Especially with the ways of today. For a small investment you can record your own horrible noise, find some ****ty artist on craigslist to do a caricature of your face for an album cover, and digitally distribute/promote the abomination. there are billions of people on this planet, only 500 need to be stupid enough to buy one of your songs for you to get a nice stack.

sounds like pretty good odds to me.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Page 1 of 2