So I'm slowly (but surely) building up my pedal board! I play a gibson sg (usually) into my gibson super goldtone GA60RV 212 combo. Right now I have the 5 way foot pedal controller for the amp. It can switch from the clean or dirty pre-amp, blend the 2 pre amps, go to the effects loop, add a boost, and add reverb. My only other pedal is the boss dd-20 for delay. (I also have a planet waves tuner pedal...but i'll probably switch it soon for the tu2 or something)

Anyways I'm looking to buy a few more pedals, but there's just SO many great looking ones out there! So I wanted to know what you all think.

The types of pedals I'm looking for right now are
tremelo
vibrato
overdrive
fuzz/distortion(is there a big difference?)
compression

And anything else that's just cool or unique. Pedals that are inspiring to play, and make my sound unique or just refined.

price isn't that important, I would say stay below $500 per pedal, preferably below $300...but if it's great I'll give it a look. I'm not planning to buy all of these at once. Like I said..it's a slow but sure build.

I like to play a lot of different types of music, but I mostly play
indie/experimental/progressive/rock/post-rock
ROCK

any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
for compression, i tried out a Homebrew CPR the other day and it has to be one of the best compression pedals i've played in a while. Very crisp clear attack, no tone drain.

Tightens up the sound, true bypass as well so no affect tone coloration
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Big Muff/Muff Clones are good for Gilmour type stuf (you mentioned experimental, Prog, rock)

Distortion is a little more of the gain rather than sheer noise, i.e. Fuzz.

Tremolo and Vibrato - they're in similar territory so you may be fine getting one pedal to do both.

OD - I love the sound of a Coloursound Powerboost (vintage) or B.K. Butler Tube Driver. But the Boss Blues Driver is a cheaper option. Heard good clips of the Fulltone Fulldrive.

Have a listen to Delay, very cool effect! I had a Line 6 DL4, now have a TC Nova Delay - both beautiful sounding units.
thanks! I'll defanitely check that out..i haven't tried a homebrew pedal yet
For fuzz youhave lots of option, but if your into experimental rock, maybe you'd like the Vexter Fuzz Factory, Devi Ever also makes pretty crazy fuzzes, there's also Death by audio if you have the budget.

EDIT: That's my favorite one from DBA, it's a (little) bit pricey though:
http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=1277&CategoryID=638
The FF:
http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=494&CategoryID=333
And Devi Ever (those are cheaper):
http://www.deviever.com/
Last edited by Sguit at Jul 19, 2009,
The Fulltone MDV-2 is a vibe and I highly recommend it if you want a cool effect.
i'll have to play a big muff...i've heard good stuff. And i'll look into those OD pedals.

the dd-20 is alright for delay right now i think..until i come up with more cash haha...and yeah i think i want something similar to the diamond vibrato...i haven't seen a tremelo close to that..so i'll probably end up getting 2 different units.
If you visit homebrews site you can find a dealer near you to try the pedals.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
i'll check all of those out. Is the vexter fuzz factory like the zvex fuzz factory at all?
Quote by gtrplyr76
i'll check all of those out. Is the vexter fuzz factory like the zvex fuzz factory at all?

Yes, it's just that it doesn't have the fancy painting, I don't how if it justifies a 150$ difference, but anyway
i would check out Analogman custom pedals, especially for the fuzz and compression, though Im pretty sure there is a waitlist for their BiCompressor
i've looked into analogman and there was a waitlist for the bicomp if i remember correctly, but I hadn't really heard if their other compression pedals were as good.
As far as boutique pedals go, you only sometimes get your money's worth. If' your buying boutique because you want to feel special and have the coolest stuff on forums, then by all means, go for it. But if you want to get the most for your money, stick with the high quality mainstream stuff.

and for Post-Rock and Experimental type of stuff, I love the massive sounds I can get with a POG2, DL4, and a Verbzilla. you can get crazy awesome intense feedbacking and oscillating swells and all kinds of other sounds--All three of those are worth looking into.

for overdrive, you can rarely go wrong with a TS9 or similar clone. For the record, I hate the footswitch on the TS9- its way harder to kick on than most other pedals.
thanks! I'll check some of those out.

and i don't mind if it's boutique or as cheap as can be...I just want gear that sounds good.
Quote by gtrplyr76
i've looked into analogman and there was a waitlist for the bicomp if i remember correctly, but I hadn't really heard if their other compression pedals were as good.

They're other compressors are just one side of the Bi-Comp. The Bi-Comp has the regular CompROSSer and Juicer. For compressor, I'd recommend the regular CompROSSer, the Keeley 4 knob Comp, the Demeter Compulator, or the Diamond Compressor.

For tremolo, a modded BOSS TR-2 is good, the Fulltone Supa Trem is awesome, and the Diaz Tremodillo is good.

For fuzz, if you want to go experimental, go Vexter Fuzz Factory or one of the Death By Audio models, if you want a traditional fuzz, the Pro Analog MK I, II or III, AnalogMan Sun Face, used Fulltone 69, Big Muff or clone, one of the KR Fuzz units (he's been inside one of Hendrix's originals!!1!!) or one of the MJM units.

For distortion, Vexter Box of Rock, modded DS-1, Hermida Mosferatu, Catalinbread SCOD, or Lovepedal Purple Plexi.

For OD, modded TS, Lovepedal Kanji or Eternity, any of the XOTiC units, modded SD-1, Full Drive 2, OCD, Mad Professor Sky Blue OD or one of their other ODs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 19, 2009,
The Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter is the key option for tremolo. Incredible pedal.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Tremolo - Catalinbread Semaphore, Fulltone Supa Trem
Overdrive - Fulltone OCD, Maxon OD808, Lovepedal Eternity or Amp 50, Subdecay Liquid Sunshine, Xotic RC/AC booster or BB preamp, Crowther Audio Hot Cake, Mojo Hand Mule
Fuzz - DBA Interstellar Overdriver, Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz or Fix'd Fuzz, Mojo Hand Huckleberry, Skreddy Screw Driver, Will Sledge's The Judge
Distortion - Barber Dirty Bomb, Catalinbread DLS, Freakshow Effects Brown Rabbit, Fulltone GT-500, Keeley Modded MT-2, MI Audio Crunch Box, Lovepedal Classic Distortion, Lovepedal Purple Plexi, Pigtronix Polysaturator, Subdecay Blackstar
Compression - Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone, Barber Tone Press
Reverb - Malekko Spring Chicken, Dr. Scientist RRR
Delay - Empress Superdelay, Eventide Time Factor, T.C. Electronic ND-1 or RPT-1, Line 6 DL4, Malekko 616 or 919, Subdecay Echobox, T-Rex Replica,
Last edited by Mitchell? at Jul 19, 2009,
thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I'll definitely check some of these out. There's just so many good ones out there! Thanks for helping me narrow it down...

keep the suggestions coming!
new ones or just reconfirm other people's
Quote by gtrplyr76
i'll have to play a big muff...i've heard good stuff. And i'll look into those OD pedals.

the dd-20 is alright for delay right now i think..until i come up with more cash haha...and yeah i think i want something similar to the diamond vibrato...i haven't seen a tremelo close to that..so i'll probably end up getting 2 different units.

Sorry man, didn't read the fact that you already had a delay!!
I'd look into some of the mad professor pedals, I love the mighty red distortion. RO Tiree has a retro comp that is ridiculous and I just got the nova delay about 2 weeks ago, lots of options, still trying to figure out what to change the 9 presets to.
Fender Am. Dlx Strat HSS LT
Budda budwah
Fulltone OCD NEW!
Tonebone trimode
EB VP JR. NEW!
Boss TU-2 Tuner
TCE ND-1 nova delay
Voodoo Labs PP2+
Dimarzio Ygnwie, mogami gold, monster rock cables
BH little giant half stack
Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter - Tremolo
Barber Tone Press - Compressor
EHX Big Muff - Distortion/fuzz

probably
thanks again guys..it seems like i might still have to check out the nova delay even though i have a delay pedal...and it seems like the barber tone press is getting good feedback

i'll be sure to look into the mad professor stuff

thanks! keep 'em coming...i'm looking at a lot of these...i'll make a list of the main ones i'm considering in another thread soon, and you guys can help me finalize my decisions...at least help me decide the main ones to try out!..i don't think many guitar shops will want me sitting around playing 50 different pedals all afternoon haha