So before my band got a rhythm guitarist we practiced with me playing all of the rhythms without any lead guitar melody and everything sounded beautiful. Then all of a sudden we add another guitar player and another amp and everything sounds cluttered messy and theres little distinction between sound sources. So I need some help from you seasoned veterans on how to clean up my bands sound a little more.

Here is what my band situation is like.....

We have a drummer in the center back the bass amp is to the right along with the lead guitar amp and the rhythm guitar amp is to his left. Our volume levels are pretty good. Both guitar amplifiers have their mids set at around 8 or so to let them cut without needing the extra volume that would drown out the drums, and the bass guitar is pretty level too. Thats all the information I can really give you as I dont see what else is needed but feel free to ask questions and please give a guy some help? Thanks!
-Gear-
Agile 2000
Hand Built Telecaster
Fernandes Acoustic/Electric
Line 6 Flextone 2 with Eminence Red Coat The Wizard Speaker
Roland Cube 15 (Practice Amp)
Cry Baby Wah
Hand Built Overdrive Box (From Ts-808 Schematic)
Hand Built Preamp Box
what guitars are you using, cos obviously as all guitars sound different yours may not work together
we always used to have rhythm and bass at the same side and lead on the other.
=] give it a try not sure how much difference this actually makes.
2 totally different guitar/amps often clash and sound cluttered.
my friends band uses a mesa triple rectifier with a les paul and orange cab,
and the rhythm player has a 72 tele thinline into a jcm900 with orange cab.
even with the rhythm guitar turned way down, it still overpoweres the mesa
due to having a bright guitar and amp. what exact equipment are you both using
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
Last edited by iheartmy7 at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by XianXiuHong
Make the rhythm player set their mids down a bit and roll back the volume a bit.

This.

It's not surprising they're getting muddied together if they're mostly occupying the same frequencies. There's art to getting multiple instruments to sound good together. Experiment.

Strong mids are nice for lead, I find. Gives it a more vocal sort of quality. But that means the rhythm guitarist should dial down his mids. Conversely, if the rhythm has a lot of bass, for example, you might want to dial down the bass on the lead guitar.

I often switch pickups when I go between lead and rhythm for the same reason.

Hope that helps.
Have you looked at trying to harmonize what you are playing? Maybe you can play the highest 3 strings of the chord form or another voicing of the same chord so that you are complementing each other rather than just laying down the same sounds. Less is more sometimes
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Ibanez RG5ERX1
Fender MIM Telecaster
Fender Acoustic
Fender Supersonic Combo
Boss TU-2 / CS-3 / DD-20 / Vox Satchurator / Hardwire CR-7 / Vox Big Bad Wah / ISP Decimator G-String
Timing, make sure you're all playing bang on the money - it's incredible how much of a difference being tight can make. It's the difference between sounding awesome and sounding like a sludgy mess.

Also turn the distortion down a bit and like others have said don't step on each others toes EQ wise. Keep the bass focussed round the lows, rhythm guitar low mids, upper mids lead guitar and leave the top end for cymbals.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com