SKIP TO PAGE 2 FOR UPDATES AND A LINK TO THE GROUP!!

(if you don't want to read about my quest to find a luthier, please skip the next two paragraphs)

OK, so I'm starting to think about saving money for a nice custom luthier job somewhere in the next few years, and i was wandering myself, "Self, where could I find a good quality luthier in or near(ish) to South Carolina?" My first answer came in the form of Google, as any wise UGer would try first, but alas! On Google i could not find a reliable or up to date list or local luthiers! Nor did the custom luthiers that I did find have useful information, and they all seemed rather sketch.

So, I turned my quest to the UG GB&C Forum, where I decided to simply ask; however, i realized that a simple "are their any luthiers that live in or near South Carolina?" thread would either end without help, or simply annoy my fellow residents of this lovely forum.

Now, here's my proposition: how about we create a GB&C list of luthiers? Basically, anyone on this forum who builds guitars professionally can post their name, location, and contact info in one nice convenient location. Now, I know that this is a sort of "advertising," however, I think that we can avoid this rule by simply using it as a reference since I have seen more than a few people looking for luthiers in this forum.

Maybe with the help of a mod we could possibly sticky a thread such as this?

Thus ends my humble proposition.

Sincerely,

bored_maniac33
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Last edited by bored_maniac33 at Jul 20, 2009,
Sounds like a good idea.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Quote by MetalGuitarest
If people post there contact info that could go bad.. I would just say send a message if you want to contact me

well, i mean contact as in e-mail/website, but yea, you could always just post to send a PM
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
not a bad idea, not that i'm looking to have a custom guitar built for me any time soon but i'm sure it would help plenty of people
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by bored_maniac33
Now, here's my proposition: how about we create a GB&C list of luthiers? Basically, anyone on this forum who builds guitars professionally can post their name, location, and contact info in one nice convenient location. Now, I know that this is a sort of "advertising," however, I think that we can avoid this rule by simply using it as a reference since I have seen more than a few people looking for luthiers in this forum.
This is dangerous territory. It pretty much DOES fall under the category of Advertising, because you put this the wrong way round.

This has the potential to attract members who will register for the singular purpose of getting their name on the list. In essence: FREE ADVERTISING.

Maybe this would have a chance, if it were the other way round.
"I need a luthier in [insert location here]"
But even so, I have doubts.

This would have been better as a PM to a GB&C Mod rather than a thread, imho.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Invader Jim
If people post their email, spam bots will find it and send bull**** to their inboxes.

Tbh I don't think it's such a good idea.

well fine no email lol

personally, if i'm going to look for a luthier in my (general) area, i would kinda like it to be a UGer, so that I could talk to them a bit more and read their posts and such before buying, and i thought a list would make that much easier.

however, if more people disagree than agree, i'm cool.

EDIT: @SYK: ah, yea, that's true. hm....oh well....

btw, if as SYK pointed out, i really shouldn't have posted this here, i can go ahead and delete it.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Last edited by bored_maniac33 at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by bored_maniac33
personally, if i'm going to look for a luthier in my (general) area, i would kinda like it to be a UGer, so that I could talk to them a bit more and read their posts and such before buying, and i thought a list would make that much easier.

however, if more people disagree than agree, i'm cool.
Don't get me wrong. I do agree with you ... in principle.

But because of the reasons I stated above, the possibility of abuse exists.
I suspect zappp would basically agree in principle to the idea you proposed, too.
Enabling forum users to more easily do business with people who regularly contribute to the conversations here on the forums would be a desirable goal. It could improve and enrich the community. But where do you draw the line when it comes to advertising? And a precedent set here, also affects expectations on other UG forums for what is permissible.

Give a long, hard think about the tools available on UG and look at possibilities for implementation. Maybe a Luthiers Profile Group. Or a process by which users could privately identify themselves as wishing to be on the list in a locked, stickied thread. Such a thread would only be write accessible to the Mods, but anyone could read it. The Mods could decide whether a user's history of helping others merits them being put on the list. The problem with this, would be the necessity of Mods spending some of their time maintaining it. And they do have a ton of other things they're already responsible for.

Another issue worth mentioning:
Putting someone on the list is at the very least a tacit endorsement by UG.
There could easily arise arguments from customers who were less than satisfied with work that was done. Although the likelihood of this is small, it does need to be considered. Very quickly, trouble could arise from a situation like this and cause a lot of clutter and headaches. This is a valid concern.

The more you foresee possible problems and address them preemptively, the more likely your idea will have a chance of success.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Well, I can easily see how this could be bad (for all the reasons previously told), but honestly this would help a ton. Many people need custom guitars or repair work done. I personally wanna find one near me so that I can pick their brain, because I really wanna get into the professional luthiery buisness, but I only have one year left of highschool and then I'm gonna be out in the big world, and so I need to get alot better...I figure if I can find and actually talk to a luthier face to face then it would help alot. Hell, maybe I could even squeeze an apprenticeship out of it.

Either way, I'm in support of this idea. One thing that could stop the free advertising thing is if the thread was locked and could only be updated by an administrator, who would decide whether or not the person was an active member on the site and deserved to be on the thread. And the email isn't necessary, as it could work entirely by PM. As soon as I get a PM it alerts me through email anyway.

I know I only really lurk on this forum and don't post much (I normally stick to the acoustic forum :P ) but I think it would be a great addition to this board.

In short: I am Pro-list
Composer of Scores for Film/Video Games/TV/and More!
Contact me if you have a project that you need music of any style for!
Last edited by ReChord at Jul 19, 2009,
I would like this.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
SYK: as the quote indicates in your sig, you are indeed a very helpful individual.

Hmm... well, after thinking about it for about ...4 seconds...the group idea is currently looking like the best bet since the mods wouldn't have to worry about maintaining it (i and maybe someone else could do that pretty easily) and it could be advertised throughout UG pretty quickly simply by people placing it in their sig. All one would have to start with would be to simply PM people who are known to be luthiers, and then make sure they join and add themselves to the list.

Shouldn't be too hard i don't think... if y'all want, I'll try to put that together. I'm about to go to bed, but i could get something going, hopefully by tomorrow night.

Thanks again SYK for the help.

for those who are interested/want to contribute, keep posting to this thread. I'll post further updates here. If it's closed for whatever reason, PM me.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
This is dangerous territory. It pretty much DOES fall under the category of Advertising, because you put this the wrong way round.

This has the potential to attract members who will register for the singular purpose of getting their name on the list. In essence: FREE ADVERTISING.

Maybe this would have a chance, if it were the other way round.
"I need a luthier in [insert location here]"
But even so, I have doubts.

This would have been better as a PM to a GB&C Mod rather than a thread, imho.

Then I think it would be cool to only let luthiers who've sold to UG'ers before and/or have been a UG member for a certain period of time ie. 18 months, 12 months, etc.

good idea I say. And it is advertising, so I have no idea how it should work.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
Then I think it would be cool to only let luthiers who've sold to UG'ers before and/or have been a UG member for a certain period of time ie. 18 months, 12 months, etc.

good idea I say. And it is advertising, so I have no idea how it should work.

see the 3-4 posts above you lol
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
alot of people are over examining this idea. its to help UG'ers to find a local lutheir, more like a phone book for lutheirs, then an actual ad. it doesnt have to be a "UG RECOMMENDS" section but more of a "heres whos local to you".

i say it sounds like a good idea. the smaller time luthiers get some business off it and the customers get the guitar they want, i dont see the down sides everyone is making up.
Quote by POWERMETAL!
alot of people are over examining this idea. its to help UG'ers to find a local lutheir, more like a phone book for lutheirs, then an actual ad. it doesnt have to be a "UG RECOMMENDS" section but more of a "heres whos local to you".

i say it sounds like a good idea. the smaller time luthiers get some business off it and the customers get the guitar they want, i dont see the down sides everyone is making up.

i do think that a group would be more effective.

Plus, Jim, a mod, wasn't too keen on the idea, so if a mod doesn't really like it, it's probably a good idea to try a new path
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
then make with the group. i dont know alot past the basic forum posting so if a group sounds like its a better idea then go for it, i just agree that there should some way for people to contact luthiers local to them.
too bad theres only like 3 or so luthiers who actually post here

TS, I agree its a good idea but we don't really have the numbers for it.
Quote by Invader Jim
Whos making the group?

i was going to put it together sometime tonight

Quote by guitarcam123
too bad theres only like 3 or so luthiers who actually post here

TS, I agree its a good idea but we don't really have the numbers for it.

we'll start with who we get, and work from there.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
OK, so I put together the group. Everyone who wishes to join can leave a comment, and i'll make sure that your added. Also, make sure to add the group link to your sig, so that we can actually get the word moving about this and (hopefully) get a decent list of luthiers.

here is the link
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Invader Jim
Looks good so far.

thanks! do you know of any luthiers on here besides Ormsby? I'm having a hard time thinking of names.....
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Isaac W. of WCS Guitars

Doesn't post too much, but his work is amazing.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by blindsagacity
Isaac W. of WCS Guitars

Doesn't post too much, but his work is amazing.

cool, that's fine, as long as they have at least a few threads they're on, and he's got 4-5 that he's start himself that look good.

if anyone can think of any luthiers or happens to be one themself, go ahead and post their id thingy on here and i'll pm them later tonight. i just moved rocks all day, sooo i'm going to go take a break
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Metalhead_28 has a company building custom guitars, and he does excellent work.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
David Collins (i think)
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
thanks y'all for the more suggestions.

by the way, since i'm kinda stupid and couldn't figure out how to do the invitations for the group, i went ahead and switched it to open, so anybody who wants to join feel free!

EDIT: you can join even if your not a luthier btw!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Last edited by bored_maniac33 at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by bored_maniac33
thanks y'all for the more suggestions.

by the way, since i'm kinda stupid and couldn't figure out how to do the invitations for the group, i went ahead and switched it to open, so anybody who wants to join feel free!

EDIT: you can join even if your not a luthier btw!

Thats pretty stupid seeing as though its a luthier group. You'll end up getting a whole heap of 14 year olds advertising that they are luthiers when they have not build a guitar yet - trust me, it happens
Ormsby is the only person who comes close to being a luthier.

Metal head and Issacs work loads dont quite constitute doing it professionally.

I agree with Cam though, its just going to be people advertising their 'companies' after they have made one guitar thinking they can take on any commision.

A 'I need a luthier point me in the right direction' thread is probably a better idea, but still if the person is willing to drop $2k + on a custom guitar they should also be willing to do the relevant research themselves...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by guitarcam123
Thats pretty stupid seeing as though its a luthier group. You'll end up getting a whole heap of 14 year olds advertising that they are luthiers when they have not build a guitar yet - trust me, it happens

it's not to just be a luthiers group. it's supposed to be a group where luthiers and non-luthiers can connect. besides, there will be mods to control things.

Quote by Absent Mind
Ormsby is the only person who comes close to being a luthier.

Metal head and Issacs work loads dont quite constitute doing it professionally.

I agree with Cam though, its just going to be people advertising their 'companies' after they have made one guitar thinking they can take on any commision.

A 'I need a luthier point me in the right direction' thread is probably a better idea, but still if the person is willing to drop $2k + on a custom guitar they should also be willing to do the relevant research themselves...

A thread was kinda voted down because of the potential for spam. in a group i'ts much easier to control such things.

also, like you said, people will be doing more research than simpyl looking on this group. in fact, if you advertise in this group you have to have a decent amount of confidence in yourself because everyone will be able to go through and read your post. if you've only done one noob build, and you posed it all over UG (like every first build person does) then everyone will know that you just started.

this group is not a be all and end all. it's simply a tool to help people connect. it will not be perfect, but it will be useful.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
i think it would be a good idea to have a list like this not for the purpose of having a guitar made but to be used by people who need to ask questions on guitar building if they are having trouble and that jazz
Quote by crupez5
i think it would be a good idea to have a list like this not for the purpose of having a guitar made but to be used by people who need to ask questions on guitar building if they are having trouble and that jazz
lol, no.

That's what this forum is for. Post a thread, anyone can answer.

TS,
Maybe expand the scope of the list?
Instead of just luthiers include all UGers who provide services for hire?
This could include, but not be limited to:

Pickup Winding
Setups
Repair
Painting
Amp/pedal building and repair.

On the list, each user could identify which of these services they provide.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411