Page 1 of 2
So my ibanez TS-9 is being a pain in the ass. I have to hotwire the thing to turn it on now and ive been doing that for the past year now
But anyway, i want a new boost/OD. something that will sound good on its own but is still a bad ass boost to tighten things up.
no budget. I need to know whats out there besides tubescreamers. Ive already considered maxon stuff. so throw some stuff out guys!
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
wat is yo Budgit??
can u go used?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
def can go used. No real budget. but for the sake of answering your question. under $180?
Quote by sg622
def can go used. No real budget. but for the sake of answering your question. under $180?

awww. if you have 240 go git a ProTone Rusty Cooley Overdrive

and what is your amp??
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Haha wayy to expensive. Playing through a VK right now.
i've found a boost doesn't sound good through my VK. I suggest upgrading the speaker and buying an EQ pedal. Mine sounded alittle better and less muddy..
^ already have all that. Ive had the amp for about 3 years now.
^IMO, I'd concentrate on a some good recording gear to capture all ur 1337 skills. Just get a good interface and an SM57. Shouldnt run you more than $250. Maybe less if you get a Line 6 Toneport as your interface
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^IMO, I'd concentrate on a some good recording gear to capture all ur 1337 skills. Just get a good interface and an SM57. Shouldnt run you more than $250. Maybe less if you get a Line 6 Toneport as your interface

i didnt even consider that as an option . I already have a mic so I just need an interface. But still, for the sake of this thread, throw out some more OD options?

Quote by Carrionshine
so maybe its time to sell it, save up and buy something better?

I like where I'm at with my amp right now. Ive got it sounding decently nice for a budget amp. Just happen to need a new od.
Last edited by sg622 at Jul 19, 2009,
Absolutely no to the BBE sonic stomp. I already have a keeley ts-9 . Ive also used the Blue boy deluxe before. It is probably one of the best OD's ive ever used. Im thinking about getting another one..
Fulltone OD maybe? I don't know if it's in your price range though.
Quote by jdmurrayz
Fap energy comes from the soul, not the body.
ok n00b ass Question but how will a clean boost act compared to an OD.
i just need that compression/ tad bit extra gain for that chugga chugga. you know what i mean right?
hmm maybe ill try out a clean boost instead??? or maybe OCD? blehh still dont nkow. I guess i want to know what a clean boost sounds like on a lead channel more than anything right now. i really do want something simple that doesnt ever need to be tweaked or even stomped on. HBE uno mos?
You had the Bad Monkey before your TS's, right? A clean boost is pretty much like that, only a bit more transparent with more boost. The only tweaking for clean boost is usually 'boost' and the occasional 'tone'.

You would probably like a clean boost. That Uno Mos looks great!

You could always order something from GC and return it, if you don't like it.
Try an LPB1. It won't add much gain, but it can drive the front end pretty hard. It also adds/thickens the bottom end up to. I think it would work pretty well if you aren't needing gain from the pedal. Doesn't sound bad pushing the clean channel for a little grit either. 40 bucks new, hard to go wrong there.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Yeah dont need any gain. I have enough from the amp and my keeley. I know i know. Running 2 OD/boosts seems kinda whack but theres no way i can get the tone i want without 2.

but yea for 40 bucks that thing is a steal.
OK so just to clear things up. I want something VERY simple. One knob is a plus. Cheaper the better. Dont know if i want a clean boost or OD yet because i have never used a clean boost and i dont know how itll act with my amp. so any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Quote by dudey5691
Yeah.
Whichever you prefer, I guess.

Both OD's and clean boost will do that if set with the level up, and gain down.
Pretty much the same thing that you've been doing...

*I do think OD's may compress slightly more, but don't quote me on that.

It doesn't compress it if you use it right. If you use settings like Drive: 0 Level 10 Tone 10, you are using it wrong. Roll the leve back to about 6 or 7 and put the tone to about 8 and you got yourself a tighter, more open sound
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Dont i want the compression for metal tonez?
also i really like how the micro amp looks haha. ill look at some utube vids.
Well, not really. The chunk comes from mids, gain, and the voicing on your amp. If you can't get enough chunk with the gain on 10 then it is time for a new amp.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by sg622
OK so just to clear things up. I want something VERY simple. One knob is a plus. Cheaper the better. Dont know if i want a clean boost or OD yet because i have never used a clean boost and i dont know how itll act with my amp. so any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

I used to run a homemade TS with an LPB1 into my F30, worked pretty well.
hmm maybe ill try a lpb1 on my way home from work today.

I can get enough chunk from my amp on 6 right now. It's just that my TS9 is a pain in the ass right now so i want something new.
^If it's from GC you might as well just take it home, they have a pretty easy return policy. I used to demo pedals from there all the time. I probably went through 5 compressors before I realized I don't like compressors I found it's a lot easier than bringing your rig there or getting them to set one up similar.

I used to call ahead and ask them to set up something and I'd get there and nothing would be set up. hosers.
Quote by sg622
hmm maybe ill try a lpb1 on my way home from work today.

I can get enough chunk from my amp on 6 right now. It's just that my TS9 is a pain in the ass right now so i want something new.

Ok, then you don't need any compression. I don't see what you are looking for: More tightness, clarity, gain? I'm not sure what you are looking for exactly, beacause it doesn't seem like you need an OD.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
yeah im thinking im def going to stop by GC today. Anything else i should try while im there? They usually have VK's and Sg's lying around.
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
Ok, then you don't need any compression. I don't see what you are looking for: More tightness, clarity, gain? I'm not sure what you are looking for exactly, beacause it doesn't seem like you need an OD.

Clarity! thats the word. also tightness. dont need much more gain.
OK, you ARE looking for an OD then :p

If you could pickup an OD808, you would be good. Try some settings like these

Drive .5
Level 6-8
Tone: wherever it sounds good
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
pretty sure my keeley has 808 specs. i want something new i guess? Im willing to drop cash on a OCD.
Page 1 of 2