I am about to get a new guitar and I am really undecided. I have about $1400 to spend so I have come down to these 2 guitars: Gibson Les Paul Studio Fireburst or a Gibson Explorer. I play rock and metal, like Guns n Roses, Van Halen, Metallica, Killswitch Engage. So what do you think, which one is best, a cheaper Les Paul or a Explorer?
Quote by visterjk
I am about to get a new guitar and I am really undecided. I have about $1400 to spend so I have come down to these 2 guitars: Gibson Les Paul Studio Fireburst or a Gibson Explorer. I play rock and metal, like Guns n Roses, Van Halen, Metallica, Killswitch Engage. So what do you think, which one is best, a cheaper Les Paul or a Explorer?

I personally prefer the paul. The tone is really the "gold standard" for rock tones.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
I would personally go for the Explorer! A Gibson LP w/o a binding just doesn't quite make the cut for me!
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

explorer
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Les Paul

They really do feel like the guitars that made rock.

I do agree that unbinded Les Pauls do look strange, EXCEPT the wine red and fireburst models so as long as you get one of those you should be good
gonna have to go with the explorer. have played both, explorer is imo more versatile
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Never been a big LP fan, I think I'd go for the explorer, also looks better imo, but then again, I'm a poser when it comes to guitars
Incarnation of awesomeness on earth.
Well have you checked out any other brands? Look up ESP you pay alot for that Gibson brand name. What are the specs for the guitars?
Quote by distortion896
gonna have to go with the explorer. have played both, explorer is imo more versatile
you've got to be kidding, in what world is an explorer more versatile than any les paul?
I'd take an Explorer over an LP Studio
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by distortion896

Hahaha, good one
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
The Explorer will have a slightly lighter and more cutting tone, more articulate for metal. The LP will have a slightly thicker and more classic tone, typically more desirable for rock. So if you do play one style much more than the other, there's that to think about.
Additionally, the average Explorer is made of better quality wood and checked over a little more than LP Studio models. So that's another thing to consider.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Ive always had a soft spot for explorers.
Fender Mexi Strat
FuzzFace/Rangemaster
Boss RC-2
Line 6 Flextone III XL
Ibanez aw20ce

FS/FT
Boss TU-2
Marhsall BB-2
Digitech Digiverb
Digitech PDS1700
535q wah
looks like you're not sure what you want. if i was you i would keep playing each one at the store untill the manager comes and tells you to either buy one or gtfo. or you could buy both and return the one you don't like as much. i have a feeling you will return the studio
It's all about feel
Explorer. Studio Paul's suck. Get the Explorer. I have one and i love it. Get it.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by al112987
you've got to be kidding, in what world is an explorer more versatile than any les paul?

hello? explorers have been used the guitarists for u2 the killers metallica scorpions and countless others. yeah les pauls are great, but one les paul cant get good metal and clean tones without changing the stock pickups
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

I'd say get an Explorer. I might be biased by the fact that I use one though
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
id go for the LP, make sure you play all the models they have so you dont get a lemon, studios can be hit or miss
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Quote by distortion896
hello? explorers have been used the guitarists for u2 the killers metallica scorpions and countless others. yeah les pauls are great, but one les paul cant get good metal and clean tones without changing the stock pickups
Sorry but you're wrong and you have no clue what goes into a guitar's sound. No other way to put it.

Funny that you bring up those bands, because all of them have used les pauls as well. The Edge, Kirk Hammett, James Hetfield, and Michael Schenker have all used les pauls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeFQPEfxvoI

Hetfield using his original 1959 burst with original PAFs
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 22, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Sorry but you're wrong and you have no clue what goes into a guitar's sound. No other way to put it.

I'm no expert or anything, but aren't LP's supposed to be one of the most versatile guitars available?
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by al112987

Funny that you bring up those bands, because all of them have used les pauls as well. The Edge, Kirk Hammett, James Hetfield, and Michael Schenker have all used les pauls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeFQPEfxvoI

Hetfield using his original 1959 burst with original PAFs

yeah but they barely have played those outside of st. anger (which was a horrible album)

And you didn't read the rest of what i said. all of those people you listed have changed the pickups to emgs, duncans,dimarzios, or whatever
Quote by valterra

Quote by distortion896
yeah but they barely have played those outside of st. anger (which was a horrible album)

And you didn't read the rest of what i said. all of those people you listed have changed the pickups to emgs, duncans,dimarzios, or whatever
Those '59s in that video had PAFs in them. Whether the music they made was crap or not, what does that have to do with the fact that they're getting metal tones out of hte guitar? By your logic an explorer is not going to be able to do all those styles without changed pickups either. Let me guess, all those guys who used Explorers with "stock pickups" right? Care to tell me what pickups all your listed artists used that will do all those styles in an explorer and not in a les paul ?

I mean, you obviously think I'm wrong here, so I'll assume you're right for a second, what pickups are these that will do all the styles in an explorer and not a les paul that the Edge, Hetfield, etc. etc. all used? Because unless you can name it, bringing up those artists is completely pointless.

Actually you can ignore all that if you'd like...

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7575895

Les paul with PAF style pickups doing everything from clean style country picking to heavy metal grind.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 6, 2009,
TS, what is your amp? If it's not so good, you could split your budget and buy a good amp and a decent guitar.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by al112987
Those '59s in that video had PAFs in them. Whether the music they made was crap or not, what does that have to do with the fact that they're getting metal tones out of hte guitar? By your logic an explorer is not going to be able to do all those styles without changed pickups either. Let me guess, all those guys who used Explorers with "stock pickups" right?

Just because a les paul doesn't look tough or metal doesn't mean that it's not versatile.

This is all true, however, your gonna spend a lot more time searching for a good LP studio than you would for a good Explorer, which will do both genres fine and dandy. The thread is not about which can do what, but which should he buy. and the fiscally responsible and knowledgeable guitarist will buy that Explorer 9 times out of ten. Also, you are comparing an LP Studio to a '59 burst? That's like saying my Focus could take a GT40 in the quarter-mile
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by Metlhead443
This is all true, however, your gonna spend a lot more time searching for a good LP studio than you would for a good Explorer, which will do both genres fine and dandy. The thread is not about which can do what, but which should he buy. and the fiscally responsible and knowledgeable guitarist will buy that Explorer 9 times out of ten. Also, you are comparing an LP Studio to a '59 burst? That's like saying my Focus could take a GT40 in the quarter-mile
First off, the hate on the les paul studio is laughable, go visit the Gibson factory, the les pauls and explorers are made on the same production floor. unless Gibson puts substantially different quality standards on one $1300 guitar compared to another $1300 guitar, your point is moot. The explorer in the same range is going to be using the same quality body woods, same level of craftsmanship etc. Played a lot of les pauls lately? a lot of explorers lately? EVERY Gibson made in the Gibson USA factories, from a standard to a studio, have the same quality control issues, which are not only overblown, but have actually been improving quite a bit as of late with all the recent backlash, but ignoring those for a second, are you really going to contend with me that a $1300 explorer uses better wood than a $1300 studio that is made by the same people?

I'm not comparing a studio to a burst, I wouldn't even compare a historic to a burst because nothing outside of an old wood replica can replicate the old wood tone of a burst. I'm attacking...

1) his notion that an explorer is inherently more versatile
2) the even dumber reasoning for it being so (which it isn't, this shouldn't even be arguable)
Quote by al112987
First off, the hate on the les paul studio is laughable, go visit the Gibson factory, the les pauls and explorers are made on the same production floor. unless Gibson puts substantially different quality standards on one $1300 guitar compared to another $1300 guitar, your point is moot. The explorer in the same range is going to be using the same quality body woods, same level of craftsmanship etc. Played a lot of les pauls lately? a lot of explorers lately? EVERY Gibson made in the Gibson USA factories, from a standard to a studio, have the same quality control issues, ignoring those for a second, are you really going to contend with me that a $1300 explorer uses better wood than a $1300 studio? I'm not attacking you, but in all honesty, I have most likely played more Gibsons in the last 12 years than you've even seen in your lifetime.

I'm not comparing a studio to a burst, I wouldn't even compare a historic to a burst because nothing outside of an old wood replica can replicate the old wood tone of a burst. I'm attacking...

1) his notion that an explorer is inherently more versatile
2) the even dumber reasoning for it being so (which it isn't, this shouldn't even be arguable)

well considering I'm only 16, you probably have played quite a few more Gibsons than I have ever seen. That being said however, I have also played most of the Gibsons I've seen since learning what makes a guitar a "lemon", and will say this, 80% of the Studio/Faded's I have played have been just that, lemons (the remaining 20% being amazing instruments) . The Explorer's while being made on the same floor of the same materials, inexplicably, the Explorer's had quality on average (that also being said, I have played some seriously awful Explorers). The only Gibson ranges that I've never had problems with are the Custom, Supreme, and Custom Shop.

And I'm glad you weren't making the comparison, I would have lost all respect for you at that point.

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

Quote by Metlhead443
well considering I'm only 16, you probably have played quite a few more Gibsons than I have ever seen. That being said however, I have also played most of the Gibsons I've seen since learning what makes a guitar a "lemon", and will say this, 80% of the Studio/Faded's I have played have been just that, lemons (the remaining 20% being amazing instruments) . The Explorer's while being made on the same floor of the same materials, inexplicably, the Explorer's had quality on average (that also being said, I have played some seriously awful Explorers). The only Gibson ranges that I've never had problems with are the Custom, Supreme, and Custom Shop.

And I'm glad you weren't making the comparison, I would have lost all respect for you at that point.
The burst in the video was just there to prove a point against what the other guy said and it proved my point in two ways...

1) Metal artists using it and getting the high gain sounds they wanted out of it
2) the fact that both of them are authentic '59 les pauls, and you can tell that they're authentic because of the tailpiece. This is important because that also suggests that the guitars have original PAFs (which you can even tell by ear if you know what PAFs sound like)

Showing that you don't need to have something like EMGs in an Explorer to do metal sounds. You can do it with some of the lowest output humbuckers ever made in a les paul, which the guy claimed can't do good clean and good metal sounds. If that wasn't enough, the huge pickup shootout that was posted on TGP, LPF, etc. etc. all showcase les pauls with PAF style pickups that sound great for metal and classic rock sounds.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7575947

Goes from '70s style hardrock through a Brown Eye'd plexi to '60s style British blues rock through a custom '45 (Germino JTM45) to country style clean picking through a Deluxe Reverb, to '80s style metal into a cascade modded plexi, and modern style metal through a Diezel Herbert.

Tom Holmes! Rated in at 8.01K, HALF the DC resistance of something like a JB or Super Distortion. So this is a les paul with humbuckers rated at half what your typical high gain pickup is rated at, and it sounds like it pulls off all these styles just fine to my ears. That is the point I wanted to prove to that other guy, who clearly does not make judgments based on experience.
Quote by al112987
The burst in the video was just there to prove a point against what the other guy said and it proved my point in two ways...

1) Metal artists using it and getting the high gain sounds they wanted out of it
2) the fact that both of them are authentic '59 les pauls, and you can tell that they're authentic because of the tailpiece. This is important because that also suggests that the guitars have original PAFs (which you can even tell by ear if you know what PAFs sound like)

Showing that you don't need to have something like EMGs in an Explorer to do metal sounds. You can do it with some of the lowest output humbuckers ever made in a les paul, which the guy claimed can't do good clean and good metal sounds. If that wasn't enough, the huge pickup shootout that was posted on TGP, LPF, etc. etc. all showcase les pauls with PAF style pickups that sound great for metal and classic rock sounds.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7575947

Goes from '70s style hardrock through a Brown Eye'd plexi to '60s style British blues rock through a custom '45 (Germino JTM45) to country style clean picking through a Deluxe Reverb, to '80s style metal into a cascade modded plexi, and modern style metal through a Diezel Herbert.

Tom Holmes! Rated in at 8.01K, HALF the DC resistance of something like a JB or Super Distortion. So this is a les paul with humbuckers rated at half what your typical high gain pickup is rated at, and it sounds like it pulls off all these styles just fine to my ears. That is the point I wanted to prove to that other guy, who clearly does not make judgments based on experience.

I completely understand. I was also under the impression that original PAFs are some of, if not the most versatile pickups in existence. And anyone can make any guitar sound like any genre with the right amp and EQ'ing. Hell, i could chug out some Melodeath on an SSS strat with a damn Diezel. But I do see where your coming from, I just think that certain information should be put out, so I am making sure that its there.

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224