I've got an ibanez s5470 so it's got a ZPS3 spring system with a zrII bridge.

I currently have guage 10s on it for drop d but i want to tune down to drop b and i've got a set of 12s.

So does anyone know any videos or tutorials that can help me adjust the bridge for guage 12s?
all u will need to do is tighten the thumb screw in the back its easy
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Yeh, re-string /tune/adjust one string at a time.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
^ thanks for the link, it's great help....but i'm still unsure how i should adjust the bridge.

It says to stick a AAA battery in there to stop it from moving but i'll be sticking guage 12s in there, so how much will i need to adjust the bridge by?
Quote by mr_fruitbowl
^ thanks for the link, it's great help....but i'm still unsure how i should adjust the bridge.

It says to stick a AAA battery in there to stop it from moving but i'll be sticking guage 12s in there, so how much will i need to adjust the bridge by?

Just enought to keep bridge level with body of guitar.
Since I’m switching to a tighter string gauge (9s to 10s), the springs will need adjustment (tightening). Thankfully, this is uber easy on the ZR. Simply flip it around and make ¼ turns in the spring adjustment screw (clockwise = tighter), retuning the strings each time, checking the trem angle till parallel with the body.

I've went from 10's to 12's. So will i loosen the tension?(anti clockwise?)...also what does he mean by returning the strings each time?

Also i'm playing in drop b (B-F♯-B-E-G♯-C♯ so is there much need for me to mess with the tension?
Last edited by mr_fruitbowl at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by mr_fruitbowl
I've went from 10's to 12's. So will i loosen the tension?(anti clockwise?)...also what does he mean by returning the strings each time?

Also i'm playing in drop b (B-F♯-B-E-G♯-C♯ so is there much need for me to mess with the tension?

OK, heres the deal, Your adding tension by increasing the string gauge, but your loosing tension by going to drop b.

Step by step.

Take off the lowest (in pitch) string. Replace it with the lowest string from the new set.

Tune that string to a B, (leave the other strings alone), and adjust the bridge till it sits parallel with the body. When you adjust the bridge, the strings will go out of tune. Keep re-adjusting/ tuning until you have that first string tuned to a B, and the bridge is parallel.

Repeat this step with all the strings, continuing to add strings/tune/adjust one string at a time.

Doing it this way makes the adjustments smaller, and makes the whole process easier and quicker.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
If you are going to a heavy gauge you want to add more tension to the springs in the back.

If you are going down in gauge you want to loosen the spring tension in the back.

So you need to add tension (clockwise)

Also, it's not returning...it re-tune-ing. After you adjust the spring in the back you will need to re-tune the strings as it will affect the pitch.

If you are going to be in Drop B you will need to adjust the spring in the back, just not as much as you may think.
Quote by srob7001
If you are going to a heavy gauge you want to add more tension to the springs in the back.

If you are going down in gauge you want to loosen the spring tension in the back.

So you need to add tension (clockwise)

Also, it's not returning...it re-tune-ing. After you adjust the spring in the back you will need to re-tune the strings as it will affect the pitch.

If you are going to be in Drop B you will need to adjust the spring in the back, just not as much as you may think.

Doing the way i said is the simplest way.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29
Doing the way i said is the simplest way.

I wasn't giving him detailed instructions. Just a general tighten or loosen overview based on string gauge