So I'm thinking of buying a new guitar, and I want to get a high end one this time, all I've ever owned are mid-level guitars, an Epiphone, an LTD, a Jackson bolt-on.
I've narrowed it down to a few choices, in particular the ESP Horizon FRII and the Jackson SL2H. What are the main differences between them? pros and cons of each?
I'm also looking at the Jackson KE2 and maybe a PRS custom 24, but that would have to be a used buy, I don't want to spend much more than $2000.

any thoughts? thanks in advance.
Quote by enselmis
news flash. You are not going to get a CU24 for less than 2 grand... It doesnt happen, ever.

Get a music man.

yeah I know, I've seen a couple on eBay for like $2500, that's what I meant
what do you play, what amp do you have?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by enselmis
news flash. You are not going to get a CU24 for less than 2 grand... It doesnt happen, ever.

Get a music man.

As much as i love my music man, a jackson USA is always nicer. except if you go for a BFR offcourse, then you're in the same league.
Just try both the ESP and the jackson and see which one is the most appealing to you. Bare in mind that the SL2H is 400$ more then the horizon due to the fact that it's hand made, has a quartersawn neck and is MIA. Quality wise, both are excellent. The biggest difference will be the neck profile though.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by LP_CL
As much as i love my music man, a jackson USA is always nicer. except if you go for a BFR offcourse, then you're in the same league.
Just try both the ESP and the jackson and see which one is the most appealing to you. Bare in mind that the SL2H is 400$ more then the horizon due to the fact that it's hand made, has a quartersawn neck and is MIA. Quality wise, both are excellent. The biggest difference will be the neck profile though.

This, exactly. I'm gonna have to throw in a vote for the SL2H. I've never played the Horizon, but my soloist is excellent.
Don't put your mind on more expensive guitars like the CU24 and don't get the KE2 (you'll probably start disliking the shape after you've gigged with it). The SL2H and the Horizon are both really really great guitars. In a situation like this you've got to try both of them to see which one you really like, but you want to own a piece of history, get the Soloist. You won't regret it.
Gear
Warmoth Stratocaster
Jackson KE3
ESP LTD EC-256

Bogner Alchemist 2x12
Vox AD30VT

Gator GPT-PWR Pedalboard
MXR CAE MC-404 Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by azn_guitarist25
have you played either models yet?

lol I've played cheaper models of both, the LTD horizon and the jackson dinky, I'll have to go to Samash and try 'em out
Quote by redluke22
lol I've played cheaper models of both, the LTD horizon and the jackson dinky, I'll have to go to Samash and try 'em out

dinky=/=soloist
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Personally I'd get the soloist. My dream guitar
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by gilly_90
dinky=/=soloist

This.

Also...

Quote by redluke22

LTD =/= ESP
RIP Tom Searle.
my vote is for the jackson. this is a great guitar that is extremely versitile. i cant speak for the esp, but my jackson soloist was an awesome guitar
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
Quote by redluke22

Dinky is a different model than the soloist.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

I tried out both of these guitars and came home with the Jackson but its really just what feels better to your hands and sounds best to your ears. While I am definitely a Jackson fanboy for life dont limit yourself to just these couple guitars, especially if you are looking at superstrats. There are all kinds of stuff out there worth giving a try. The primary difference you will notice in the two you mentioned is going to be the neck, with the Jackson's being a bit more substantial, but I like that. The PRS is also a really awesome guitar but pretty different from the others. The wide thin neck on PRS is still a long way off from ESP's thin U and such. Would be a lot easier maintain since it doesn't have the Floyd Rose. And of course features top notch build quality.