ok i am looking to Replace my Jackson RR3 Stock Pickups but i can't decide between Seymour Duncan Blackouts or EMGs. i have been to countless sites and read countless reviews on each and still cannot decide. please help
I Am Using a Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp and i mostly play metal but i also play other things

Metallica
AC/DC
Green Day
Quote by Hilgers423
I Am Using a Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp and i mostly play metal but i also play other things

Metallica
AC/DC
Green Day

dont change your pickups.
if you change it its not gonna make that much difference if you are using your spider.

i suggest keep your guitar and save up for a new amp

PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Blackouts!
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
If you're using a SS amp then generally the rule of thumb is to avoid active pickups. Active pickups are intended to drive tube amps harder to cause more breakup thus giving you a dirtier sound. If you use active pickups with SS circuitry it results in transistor clipping which is generally an undesired tone (but if you like it then that is your opinion and no one can take that away from you).

Also, with your current amp, a pickup swap of any kind isn't going to give you much of a difference in tone (i.e. you are pretty much throwing your money away). I recommend that you try selling the amp and using the money you get from that along with the money you are willing to spend on the new pickups towards a better amp. I promise you that a better amp will give you a more enjoyable tone than new pickups will with your current amp.

What is your overall budget? There are plenty of users on this site who will be able to steer you in the right direction towards a better amp and a better tone
as previously stated, but being restated to emphasize...active pickups will do nothing when you using a solidstate amp. especially when its a spider. save up for new amp, or get passive pickups. but new amp would be better idea.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Well once you upgrade that amp, I say go for the blackouts. I have blackouts in my jackson, and emg's in my esp. I'm a fan of the 60 in the neck, but the 81 in the bridge sounds completely sterile and cold. The blackouts sound really nice.
Keep your guitar as is and buy yourself a new amp. Amp affects tone WAY more than pickups and you should get a better amp.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by Hilgers423
What kind of Amp Do You Reccomend? my budget is between 2 and 3 hundred

Do you gig??
can you go used??
Can you sell your old gear to up your budget?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Hilgers423
What kind of Amp Do You Reccomend? my budget is between 2 and 3 hundred

What styles? I'm assuming heavier stuff if you're looking for actives. Maybe a B-52 AT112
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
Can you maybe add percentages to your styles? Because if you're playing 60% Green Day stuff you really don't want actives, anyway.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
If you're using a SS amp then generally the rule of thumb is to avoid active pickups. Active pickups are intended to drive tube amps harder to cause more breakup thus giving you a dirtier sound. If you use active pickups with SS circuitry it results in transistor clipping which is generally an undesired tone (but if you like it then that is your opinion and no one can take that away from you).

Also, with your current amp, a pickup swap of any kind isn't going to give you much of a difference in tone (i.e. you are pretty much throwing your money away). I recommend that you try selling the amp and using the money you get from that along with the money you are willing to spend on the new pickups towards a better amp. I promise you that a better amp will give you a more enjoyable tone than new pickups will with your current amp.

What is your overall budget? There are plenty of users on this site who will be able to steer you in the right direction towards a better amp and a better tone

right indeed. i like you, you'll be a nice additon 'round these parts. (if you've been posting here awhile i apologize, haddn't seen you.)
you've invited to the "who to listen to list" thread. (see stickies).

Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
right indeed. i like you, you'll be a nice additon 'round these parts. (if you've been posting here awhile i apologize, haddn't seen you.)
you've invited to the "who to listen to list" thread. (see stickies).

I post here a good bit but I've been rather busy lately with school and work. However I appreciate the invite to the "who to listen to list" and I will graciously accept

TS: With your budget you may wish to look into a better modeling amp. There are some great sounding tube amps that can be found for a small price but they generally seem to not be very versatile.

My recommendations for you (since you say you play several different genres) would be to look into the Peavey Vypyr series and the Roland Cube series. The Vox Valvetronix series are highly praised but from my knowledge they don't seem to do metal very well - they are worth checking out though because you may find that you like them. Also, if you are willing to go used you should look into a Line 6 Flextone - they are great modeling amps and are very affordable.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Jul 20, 2009,
^ electric guitar wise i play almost exclusively metal and i use a vox ad15vt for a practice amp. it's O.K.

vyper would be "better." they just sound kinda thin. the vox has good mid beef.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
^ electric guitar wise i play almost exclusively metal and i use a vox ad15vt for a practice amp. it's O.K.

vyper would be "better." they just sound kinda thin. the vox has good mid beef.

I've actually never played through a VOX - I had the opportunity to once but I turned it down because I had always been under the impression that they were more of a "classic rock" amp and I'm more of a metal person myself (as you've already noticed lol).

But, as always, its best to throw as many recommendations out to the TS as we can so he/she can review them on their own and form their own opinions.
If you could save up a bit more you could get a small tube amp like the blackstar ht-5. Its about $400 I think. I've never used it but always hear good things about it.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I've actually never played through a VOX - I had the opportunity to once but I turned it down because I had always been under the impression that they were more of a "classic rock" amp and I'm more of a metal person myself (as you've already noticed lol).

But, as always, its best to throw as many recommendations out to the TS as we can so he/she can review them on their own and form their own opinions.

it's also worth mentioning the vox have an "xl" version of the valvetronix amps designed for metal. although i haven't played one yet.

the 15watt vyper is a lot of amp for $100 though.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
it's also worth mentioning the vox have an "xl" version of the valvetronix amps designed for metal. although i haven't played one yet.

the 15watt vyper is a lot of amp for $100 though.

I thought the XL versions were discontinued though? Might be hard to come by depending on where the TS lives. And, although I have never tried one, I was reading reviews one time that said you're better off getting a regular VT because the tone on the XL is very dark and muddy. However tone is subjective and we can't tell the TS what they will and will not like.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I thought the XL versions were discontinued though? Might be hard to come by depending on where the TS lives. And, although I have never tried one, I was reading reviews one time that said you're better off getting a regular VT because the tone on the XL is very dark and muddy. However tone is subjective and we can't tell the TS what they will and will not like.

never tried one myself. really want too though.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

personally i like line 6 amps but will admit they are farely one dimensional. I used to have a 65 watt, or somewhere around there, behringer multieffects amp that was set up to sound somewhat like a tube amp. It was only 200 bucks at the time. I'm not sure if they still make that particular model but personally that has been one of my favorite amps to date. Also I would say to go with the blackouts would be my choice, but for advice, go find a guitar with emg's and then one with blackouts in a shop if possible and try them both out. see what you prefer.
actualy answering your question: i prefer blackouts over EMG's because they are more organic sounding, whereas the emg's are sterile imo. the blackouts bring out the sound of your guitars natural tone, whereas emgs sound pretty much the same no matter what you guitar they are in.
that said, get yourself a new amp, actives wont help your little spider.
Go for a used Peavey VK, or if you live in the USA then go for a B-52
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
depends what emg's you're looking for.

if you need a 60 in the neck for cleans then don't contemplate Blackouts as they are more a kin to a 85/81 combo (which has a lot higher output in the neck position)

there isn't a lot in it to be honest between the 85/81 setup or the Blackouts, i recorded parts through both setups in the same guitar (cleans, high gain etc.) using the same settings and there was next to no difference.