This book series I read recently (The Sword Of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind) had the things called "Wizard's Rules" and I thought I'd show them to you guys and see what you think about them, I personally think all of them make sense.

The rules are in bold print, the unbold is a description of the rule from the books.

RULE 1: People will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they're afraid it might be true.
Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

RULE 2: The greatest harm can result from the best intentions.
Kindness and good intentions can be an insidious path to destruction. Sometimes doing what seems right is wrong, and can cause harm. The only counter to it is knowledge, wisdom, forethought, and understanding the First Rule. Even then, that is not always enough

RULE 3: Passion rules reason.
Letting your emotions control your reason may cause trouble for yourself and those around you.

RULE 4: There is magic in sincere forgiveness; in the forgiveness you give, but more so in the forgiveness you receive.
Forgiving and being forgiven are powerful elements of healing for the soul. Forgiving others grants by the giving of forgiveness but more so one receives self healing by the necessity of letting go of bitterness through forgiveness of others.

RULE 5: Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie.
People will lie to deceive you from what they truly mean to do. Watching the actions they take will prove their true intentions.

RULE 6: The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason.
The first law of reason is this: what exists, exists, what is, is and from this irreducible bedrock principle, all knowledge is built. It is the foundation from which life is embraced.
Thinking is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts nor are they a means to discover them. Reason is our only way of grasping reality; it is our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss that we refuse to see. Faith and feelings are the darkness to reasons light. In rejecting reason, refusing to think, one embraces death.

RULE 7: Life is the future, not the past.
The past can teach us, through experience, how to accomplish things in the future, comfort us with cherished memories, and provide the foundation of what has already been accomplished. But only the future holds life. To live in the past is to embrace what is dead. To live life to its fullest, each day must be created anew. As rational, thinking beings, we must use our intellect, not a blind devotion to what has come before, to make rational choices.

RULE 8: Deserve victory.
Be justified in your convictions. Be completely committed. Earn what you want and need rather than waiting for others to give you what you desire.

RULE 9: A contradiction can not exist in reality. Not in part, nor in whole.
To believe in a contradiction is to abdicate your belief in the existence of the world around you and the nature of the things in it, to instead embrace any random impulse that strikes your fancy - to imagine something is real simply because you wish it were. A thing is what it is, it is itself. There can be no contradictions.
Faith is a device of self-delusion, a sleight of hand done with words and emotions founded on any irrational notion that can be dreamed up. Faith is the attempt to coerce truth to surrender to whim. In simple terms, it is trying to breathe life into a lie by trying to outshine reality with the beauty of wishes. Faith is the refuge of fools, the ignorant, and the deluded, not of thinking, rational men.
In reality, contradictions cannot exist. To believe in them you must abandon the most important thing you possess: your rational mind. The wager for such a bargain is your life. In such an exchange, you always lose what you have at stake.

RULE 10: Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self.
People who for whatever reason don't want to see the truth can be acutely hostile to it and shrill in their denunciation of it. They frequently turn their venomous antagonism on whoever dares to point out that truth ... To those seeking the truth, it's a matter of simple, rational, self interest to always keep reality in view. Truth is rooted in reality, after all, not the imagination.

Rule 11 is a bit different and you probobly wouldn't understand if you haven't read the books, if you want to know here's a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessor_(novel)#Wizard.27s_Eleventh_Rule
Last edited by GuitarYay at Jul 19, 2009,
Holy **** that's a lot of writing.

Needless to say,
TL;DR
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Quote by dhutton
dude I love The Sword of Truth series!

i only got to book three and i don't know anyone who has them though...

Library...FTW

Quote by sneyob
Holy **** that's a lot of writing.

Needless to say,
TL;DR

Just read the rule in bold print, if you don't get it from that, read the description, I can't really give you a TL;DR on that...
Surprisingly insightful, i like the part about deserving victory.
"There are two wolves fighting inside all of us - the wolf of fear and hate, and the wolf of love and peace." The grandson listened, then looked up at his grandfather and asked, "Which one will win?", The grandfather replied, "the one we feed".
RULE 11: CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL TO AWESOME.
When titling a thread, make sure your press the Caps Lock button firmly. Typing in all uppercase is like posting really really really loudly. It is sure to get everyone's attention and make them think you are cool.
Quote by Nightrain57
Surprisingly insightful, i like the part about deserving victory.

Yes, my favorite is the First Rule

Quote by archangels666
RULE 11: CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL TO AWESOME.
When titling a thread, make sure your press the Caps Lock button firmly. Typing in all uppercase is like posting really really really loudly. It is sure to get everyone's attention and make them think you are cool.

what? I always post titles with the first letter of each word capitalized....there wasn't much caps lock involved in this...
Last edited by GuitarYay at Jul 19, 2009,
Kinda derp.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by dhutton
the nearest library is 30 miles from my house and i don't have a car at the moment

See if they can mail you the books, call them up and ask
After reading through the first post, I have concluded:

I DGAF
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
You take the good, you take the bad,
you take them both and there you have
The facts of life, the facts of life.
Quote by GuitarYay
Why do you think that?

When I first read it I wanted to believe it was true.
Quote by El3ment380
When I first read it I wanted to believe it was true.

Haha, whatever you say, be stubborn then.
Most of these rules are common sense. Not all that, but the bolded portions are cliched statements to all hell.

These rules seem like a subtle intro into atheism tbh. There is nothing wrong with believing in reason and irrefutable truths, but this takes logic and institutionalizes it into a system of faith.
Reason also dictates that nothing is absolute until we can prove it absolutely.
Don't worry, this isn't a conjuring of "abiogenesis violates the 2LoT" creationist nonsense either; I just don't see the purpose of narrowly defining yourself into a religious denomination.
Quote by El3ment380
Rule number one is a lie

sounds like the atheist equivalent of a bible to me. Also, rule 34 is my favorite. no exceptions.
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
Hmm... seems the thread has been taken over by a swimming pool filled with sperm.

Quote by iantheman
Whenever I run out of tissues, I get worried that I'll be caught hopping through the hallway with my pants around my knees, a dying erection, and a fist full of semen.
Last edited by DarkChilli at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by huevos
Most of these rules are common sense. Not all that, but the bolded portions are cliched statements to all hell.

These rules seem like a subtle intro into atheism tbh. There is nothing wrong with believing in reason and irrefutable truths, but this takes logic and institutionalizes it into a system of faith.
Reason also dictates that nothing is absolute until we can prove it absolutely.
Don't worry, this isn't a conjuring of "abiogenesis violates the 2LoT" creationist nonsense either; I just don't see the purpose of narrowly defining yourself into a religious denomination.

IN a way yeah they do, I think the 6th Rule brougght me into not believing in Christianity anymore, I say now that I don't believe in "God" but I do believe something had to be there in order to create it all, my "Higher Power" as I like to call it.

I don't believe in heaven nor hell, I just can't put my trust into something I don't know exists or not
I read the first one a few days ago. Good stuff. I really like "A sense of purpose overrules reason.", it wasn't mentioned as a rule in the first one but probably later on in the series. It may all be common sense but a lot of people don't have it and need it put simply.
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
Quote by atlasguitar
I read the first one a few days ago. Good stuff. I really like "A sense of purpose overrules reason.", it wasn't mentioned as a rule in the first one but probably later on in the series. It may all be common sense but a lot of people don't have it and need it put simply.

Yeah, the main concept I liked in the series was "live your own life, don't let anyone else control it for you"

One of my favorite things from that series
Quote by GuitarYay
I say now that I don't believe in "God" but I do believe something had to be there in order to create it all, my "Higher Power" as I like to call it.

This is what's called "arguing semantics," my friend.
Quote by TheBurningFish

Holy ****!
What happened to my boy Seinfeld? Acid? PCP? Anus?

Here's more of my views on this:

"A man is the less likely to become great the more he is dominated by reason: few can achieve greatness - and none in art - if they are not dominated by illusion."-Mr. Doctor

Idk about you, but I feel that it's better to be grandoise, rather than living as reclusively.
Don't worry, I'm plenty introverted, but I love that preverted feeling of grandure.

"Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than about peace, more about killing than we know about living."-Omar Bradley

Logic has created a powerful profiteering mechanism of war; the military-industrial complex. It's keeping us in the US fed and secure, but the higher ups will always want more. And more. And more. And moar.
Never satisfied with having enough; so I guess it's true. Allowing emotion to seep through will cause great destruction.

NOTE: Quotes taken from my profile.
I'm not anti-war, nor am I pro-war. Not religious, nor am I secular.
Last edited by huevos at Jul 19, 2009,
imo, this is a load of shit. We don't believe lies because we are "stupid". We only have so many ways of obtaining information, so we have to trust sources of information, we are not born infinitely knowledgeable.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by magnus_maximus
Cool stuff.

Why are we still awake?

Quote by GuitarYay
IN a way yeah they do, I think the 6th Rule brougght me into not believing in Christianity anymore, I say now that I don't believe in "God" but I do believe something had to be there in order to create it all, my "Higher Power" as I like to call it.

I don't believe in heaven nor hell, I just can't put my trust into something I don't know exists or not

That would probably be the best way to go about it. The guy behind "The wager of Christ" (I think it's Descartes) states the odds are stacked in favor of living a truely christian lifestyle. I disagree; hell is a better alternative than developing an obscessive-complusive disorder or some other mental illness caused by the paranioa of being afraid of an all-knowing/powerful being.

Quote by GuitarYay
Yeah, the main concept I liked in the series was "live your own life, don't let anyone else control it for you"

One of my favorite things from that series

If you say that this is the underlying message of these rules, then I would agree with you.
Another reason for not conforming to archaic systems of belief (though I do like Buddism).
I don't agree with rule 9, or at least don't think it should be apart of a divine set of rules. Faith could be what some describe to be delusion, but regardless delusion can be a productive tool and motivator if one doesn't allow themself to fully succumb to it.

It is a very logical and thorough list though.
Balls.
i only really liked the first three
everything purple tastes like grape
everything blue tastes like blueberry
everything pink tastes like watermelon
everything red tastes like strawberry
everything orange tastes like orange
everything yellow tastes like lemon
Quote by archangels666
This is what's called "arguing semantics," my friend.

Well thank you for putting a name to that, I had no idea what it was called.

Quote by huevos
That would probably be the best way to go about it. The guy behind "The wager of Christ" (I think it's Descartes) states the odds are stacked in favor of living a truely christian lifestyle. I disagree; hell is a better alternative than developing an obscessive-complusive disorder or some other mental illness caused by the paranioa of being afraid of an all-knowing/powerful being.

I like your way of thinking.

Quote by huevos
If you say that this is the underlying message of these rules, then I would agree with you.
Another reason for not conforming to archaic systems of belief (though I do like Buddism).

Yeah that's how I see it, and Buddism has some concepts I like but so does every other religion I've read about. They all have strong factors but there's parts of them I just don't like.

Quote by rmr024
I don't agree with rule 9, or at least don't think it should be apart of a divine set of rules. Faith could be what some describe to be delusion, but regardless delusion can be a productive tool and motivator if one doesn't allow themself to fully succumb to it.

It is a very logical and thorough list though.

That's exactly what it's getting at
Last edited by GuitarYay at Jul 20, 2009,
Read the book series. Books 1-7 are great. Books 8-10 are a load of shit and book 11 just barely scrapes out of that group because stuff actually happens in it. Author is an objectivist, and it was better that he kept it in the background of the stories atleast partially before deciding to put in his speech-writing notes on preaching objectivism in.
Wizards Rules are basically logic and have no relevance at all to wizards but everyone, so no real point calling them wizards rules anyway.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
I like these. Reading them has made me smarter.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
The rules state that they are true, because of rule #9, there can be no contradictions. But if I want to follow rule #1, I have to doubt these rules. But if I doubt them, and don't follow them, I won't be following the rules. So there is no need for me to doubt them. If I doubt them, and don't doubt them at the same time, it will be a contradiction. But contradictions don't exist.

Quote by NielsWho
The rules state that they are true, because of rule #9, there can be no contradictions. But if I want to follow rule #1, I have to doubt these rules. But if I doubt them, and don't follow them, I won't be following the rules. So there is no need for me to doubt them. If I doubt them, and don't doubt them at the same time, it will be a contradiction. But contradictions don't exist.

I don't even have anything to say to that...

thus deserving what you just said a 3x3 wtf stack