I was experimenting with my new pedals, level checking, and just generally turning knobs like a mad scientist. When I ran the board through my Stacks Effects Loop, the tone was louder, brighter, crunchier, searing, and it almost shimmered.

Why is this? What is different about the loop that the guitar direct chain dosent have? Is it that the guitars signal is un-broken, and the effects are running through the amp itself rather than the guitar that give it that sound?

Do you know the secrets of the effects loop? If so, share with me what you know.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
the effects loop has the amp sound running through it and then what is sent back in the return gets projected out to what you hear
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
It's because the original signal is less affected. If you really want to hear teh tonez, try using the FX after the speaker when mic'd through a PA.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Can you run distortion pedals through the effects loop or only modulation pedals and if you could only run modulation pedals through the fx loop how would you use distortion pedals in the front of the amp at the same time?
You would typically only run modulation and time FX through the loop. Distortion/OD/compression, etc. go in front. It's simple. You just run it Guitar->Distortion->Amp->Loop Send->Modulation->Time->Loop Return->Output.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Bentheemo
It could be buffered,

Like some amps have an extra tube in the effects loop. Changes the signal to a lower impedence which is subject to less loss??