Usually when I see a band who has only 1 guitarist, they have certain parts pre recorded, or maybe they're covering a song that has a part created by a dj and they play that part that they sampled from the song. How does this work? Is there a computer program that can take samples from music or a way to play a part, record it on my computer and play it back as a fill during a show? I know nothing about how they do this.
My buddy has a pedal that does this
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST...-Zappa
looper pedal with the riff(s) pre recorded into it

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
sampler....easy ****
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
It can be done a bunch of different ways. some people use pedals. Others hire another guitarist to stay backstage and play. And some people pre record it and play it through the PA system.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
can you give me an example of a pedal that does this? Maybe one that can store a bunch of different pre recorded patches?
Digitech JamMan, Boss RC-2, Boss RC-20XL, Line 6 DL4, and the Akai Headrush E2 do looping, with the last two having the added benefit of delay.
What you're looking for isn't a loop pedal. These bands use software such as Ableton Live and Reason. Certain tracks that can't be performed live, most commonly when a song features more instruments than musicians, are recorded.

Usually then the drummer will have headphones with a metronome to keep the band on beat, and they will actually play along with the recording, rather than trying to make the recording fit to them.

That or samples can be triggered via midi systems hooked into similar programs as above.
Touring guitarist.The only touring guitarist I can think of is Pat Smear,the touring old guitarist for Nirvana.Usually,they just play the rhythm part whilst the star does the solo.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
Touring guitarist.The only touring guitarist I can think of is Pat Smear,the touring old guitarist for Nirvana.Usually,they just play the rhythm part whilst the star does the solo.

Ozzy had a keyboardist that he kept hidden backstage because keyboardists "just weren't metal."
Quote by GrisKy
Ozzy had a keyboardist that he kept hidden backstage because keyboardists "just weren't metal."

lmao.

This is exactly why metal makes me laugh so much.