I want to start learning scales and modes. Where should i start. I dont know how to ready some of the advanced sites with all of the dots on the fretboards. I need help with that. I know the whole fretboard and stuff, i dont do tabs much, but wouldnt mine to learn these scales. any help? thanks
searchbar...
im tired of seeing 10 of these a day

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
searchbar...
im tired of seeing 10 of these a day

Then get a life and stay off UG for over half an hour you worthless piece of ****
Quote by gatechballer
Then get a life and stay off UG for over half an hour you worthless piece of ****

woah... someone's awfully angry

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
woah... someone's awfully angry

Not really but if someone is gonna complain on a forum site about someone else not knowing where to find something, then I will make that douche bag feel as low as possible. Have a good day now.
Quote by gatechballer
Not really but if someone is gonna complain on a forum site about someone else not knowing where to find something, then I will make that douche bag feel as low as possible. Have a good day now.

hahaha well, if you're trying to make someone feel low, try a little harder. I don't get angry over people insulting me over the internet. Someone's bound to tell him/her "searchbar" at some point anyway. And thank you, i will have a good day, i feel better already.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by burnsidexg3
I want to start learning scales and modes. Where should i start. I dont know how to ready some of the advanced sites with all of the dots on the fretboards. I need help with that. I know the whole fretboard and stuff, i dont do tabs much, but wouldnt mine to learn these scales. any help? thanks

All that is showing you is all the places on the fretboard you can get all the notes in the scale or mode (modes are just all the different ethnic styles brought together eg Phrygian sounds middle eastern). There are lots and lots of places you can play just concentrate on a few frets.

All you have to do is work out where the next note is near the fret you are at eg if you are playing Aminor (also known as aeolian mode) you would find an A then B C DEFG etc.

You benefit a lot more by working these out yourself and get an understanding, rather than just blindly playing some tab someone drew up of shapes.
Quote by burnsidexg3
Start with the major scale - learn it in terms of notes and intervals, not just shapes, so you understand how it is constructed. Pretty much every other scale you'll ever use can be derived from the major scale, so get that down and you've done the hard work.

If you're not too hot on theory might be worth taking a look at Freepower's theory vids (on his profile), then check out the music theory FAQ in MT
its good that you want to learn about modes and theory. i plan on devoting my lessons to mainly theory and modes etc after i complete my exam end of this year.

and just in case it wasn't a mistake. the modes aren't "guitar modes" as they apply to all instruments and music. yeah im pretty sure you knew that, just saying in case you didnt.
I found Troy Stetina's "fretboard mastery" to be a good learning material for me in that matter...and intervals should be the first thing you learn.
Quote by DaathMatal
(modes are just all the different ethnic styles brought together eg Phrygian sounds middle eastern)

No.
Absolutely not.

What they sound like to you doesn't change how they're derived, their common useage and the fact that they generally have very little do with the reality of more exotic forms of music. My apologies if you understand middle eastern music better than I do, but as far as I'm aware, most of it doesn't even use 12-tet tuning, let alone "the modes" that western musicians would recognise.