Alright, so I have a Paul Reed Smith SE with stock pickups. Basically, I want to have a guitar that is dedicated to playing classic rock, and a guitar dedicated to playing metal. Now, my question is this: Should I buy a new guitar that is geared towards metal? Or should I buy a new guitar geared towards classic rock?

Whichever genre I pick, I will put pick-ups in my PRS to accustom whichever genre I decide to designate that guitar as.

I have about a $500-600 for a new guitar (not including the money that I spend to buy new pickups for one or both guitars).

So, my options are, buy a guitar for metal (replace pick-ups if necessary) and buy some good pick-ups for my PRS; or buy a new guitar for classic rock (replace pick-ups if necessary) and buy pick-ups that're good for metal for the PRS
Gear:
ESP LTD Les Paul (Blackouts)
B.C. Rich Mockingbird (EMG 81/85)
Paul Reed Smith SE Single-Cut (Duncan Pickups)
Schecter C-1 Classic (Duncan Pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Seagull Entourage (Acoustic-Electric)

Marshall JVM210H + 1960A Cab
I'd say use the PRS for classic rock, and get something else for metal. ESP, Ibanez, Jackson, Schecter, Dean, DBZ, etc. all work well for metal.

However, why not just use the PRS for both?

I mean, there are many people that can use PRS guitars for nearly anything. I mean, both guys in BTBAM use PRS, and it works fine for them.

(Sorry if I come off as a BTBAM fanboy, even though I am.)
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Jul 20, 2009,
I would buy a guitar for classic rock personally, just because a LOT of metal acts use PRS guitars and they are pretty versatile... and my suggestion would be instead getting pickups invest in a multi effect pedal. My Boss ME-20 makes my Epi les paul sound as good as my USA Jackson w/emg's
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
i say you do what i'm about to do, and buy a tube combo and stick to one guitar
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
allender is a metal guitarist and he uses PRS...
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
I'd say use the PRS for classic, and get a new guitar for metal. But I would go with a new guitar that is strictly metal(which should be better for metal than the PRS).
its probably more than that though. he probably wants a "classic rock" guitar he can keep in standard tuning. and his "metal" guitar stay in drop tuning, i mean nobody wants to be dropping tunings every other song, that just gets old!
Quote by icaneatcatfood
This is a very typical response but maybe get a new amp. It's not the guitar alone that gives a versatile sound, it's the amp as well. Spider III's arent really known for their versatility. I can't really recommend one though.

+1 the prs can do both quite easily if your amp can do it as well. though if you still want to go to a new guitar then get the ibanez rga42fm or ibanez s320. though that doesn't leave alot of money left for pickups so get the ibanez rg321 if you want decent pickups.
personally id pick up a metal guitar. I would suggest something in the nature of a schecter. they are priced well, and no disrespect intended to ibanez and jackson(which are the only two other brands of guitars i"ll play), but the moment I picked up a schecter I forgot they existed.
Yeah, Schecter is more gothic imho. I tried a couple imports at Guitar Center and they just felt cheap. DBZ Guitars are looking real promising, particularly for metal. At least it's got my friends and me all hopped up. Hope that helps.
DBZ Barchetta Eminent FR
DBZ Bolero ST
DBZ Imperial FM
DBZ Venom Matte Black
Dean '79 V
Dean '79 ML
Fender Princeton Chorus
Behringer V-Tone 2/12
Asterope Cables
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Hardware Metal Distortion
Quote by cukd7x-a2-
I would buy a guitar for classic rock personally, just because a LOT of metal acts use PRS guitars and they are pretty versatile... and my suggestion would be instead getting pickups invest in a multi effect pedal. My Boss ME-20 makes my Epi les paul sound as good as my USA Jackson w/emg's

I just purchased a Line 6 X3 Live (will arrive on thursday). I think that should do the trick for a Multi Effect Pedal.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul

The only reason why I thought to buy another guitar instead of sticking with one was because I figured I should buy new pickups for my PRS, and gear them towards one genre, and then get a different guitar and buy good pickups geared towards the other genre. Otherwise, is there good pickups that are better than mine that would do good for both? Or should I just leave the stock ones in there?
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul

Quote by Janicki
The only reason why I thought to buy another guitar instead of sticking with one was because I figured I should buy new pickups for my PRS, and gear them towards one genre, and then get a different guitar and buy good pickups geared towards the other genre. Otherwise, is there good pickups that are better than mine that would do good for both? Or should I just leave the stock ones in there?

I really hate to say it but a new amp would go further ways of improving your tone then changing pickups.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
I really hate to say it but a new amp would go further ways of improving your tone then changing pickups.

Well, I don't really use my amp much anymore, and my X3 Live will be here in two days, so that should dramatically change my tone from the Spider. I'll just use the X3 straight into the PA. So that's why the next upgrade I'm gearing towards is new pick-ups probably.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul

thats gonna sound a bit... harsh. i played with an x3 for about 2 hours and returned it to the store the same day. just cant beat my mesa... hhaha
Well Enough Alone
Quote by guitardude11
thats gonna sound a bit... harsh. i played with an x3 for about 2 hours and returned it to the store the same day. just cant beat my mesa... hhaha

True.

But I'm used to a Spider, so this is going to be a DEFINITE upgrade, IMO.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul

Quote by Janicki

the seymour duncan JB is a great pro pick up that works very well for both types of music. I have 1 in bridge position of my Ibanez RG470 that I use for both rock and metal and I love it. this pick up comes stock in a lot of metal guitars. Schecter makes many great guitars with the JB as a stock p-u in the bridge with a jazz or a 59 P.A.F in the neck. The JB has great tone and out put, cleans up nicely, gives good sustain. I think this would work very well for whatever type of music you use it for. I hope this helps. good luck and rock on!
Quote by sixstring420
the seymour duncan JB is a great pro pick up that works very well for both types of music. I have 1 in bridge position of my Ibanez RG470 that I use for both rock and metal and I love it. this pick up comes stock in a lot of metal guitars. Schecter makes many great guitars with the JB as a stock p-u in the bridge with a jazz or a 59 P.A.F in the neck. The JB has great tone and out put, cleans up nicely, gives good sustain. I think this would work very well for whatever type of music you use it for. I hope this helps. good luck and rock on!

Alright, thanks a lot. I'll look into those.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul