so I was given this progression for a song, and I need to fit a solo over it. I usually just look at the chords' individual notes and base it with a scale of that, but this is different.

Progression:

G - G - Eb7 - E7 - A7 - D7

repeat

What are some scales I could use over this? explain?
You've got a bit of flexibility here, thanks to the "dominantization" of the progression. I take it we're dealing with a blues song?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've rearranged the chords as follows, to make the progression easier to explain...

Eb7 - E7 - A7 - D7 - G - G

The first four chords can be considered to be suggestive of A major, although it would be very common to use the A minor pentatonic (suggesting altered dominant chords), with the E7 chord resolving downward to A7 (V-I). In this case, you could treat the Eb7 as a lead in to the E7 chord. In that case, you could play the A major pentatonic over the first three chords without any problem as long as you exercise a little care over the Eb7 chord.

The same scale would sound fine over the D7 chord as well, but you may be better off treating it as a V of G major and switching over to the G minor (or major) pentatonic over the D7 and G chords. If you chose the G minor pentatonic, you can safely use it over the Eb7 chord as well.

The progression is really ambiguous. Since most of the chords are dominants, you can really get away with just about anything. Use the pentatonics as guidelines.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jul 20, 2009,
No scale is going to do wonders over that at first glance. Just use chord tones.

Edit: Well then. Maybe I should have taken more than a first glance. See the post above me
i don't know why i feel so dry
Last edited by Eastwinn at Jul 20, 2009,
A major pentatonic alright. When you get to the Eb7 avoid playing any notes that would clash with the chord tones.
I would emphasize chord tones more than anything. When going from one chord to another using pentatonics over and over can sometimes sound a little too robotic. Chord tones provide good harmony while giving you a little more options, since you are dealing with some sevenths.