I've been playing bass for alot but guitar for alot longer. I've recently joined a band and i get to do bass solo's ( i do alot of cliff style ****) but for writing with my band what should I do so the bass can sounds more mean nd powerful

Cheo
I use a very light overdrive and aggressive picking to sound more br00t4l
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by fluffpuff999
Replace your strings with barbed wire.

this is so metal
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
A tight rhythm section, new roundwound strings, some light overdrive or distortion and some aggressive picking should help.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by watchingmefall
Learn the tritone.
Know the tritone.
BE the tritone.

+1

Just a bit of info on it, its classed as the devil's note, and centuries ago was said to have been played to summon the devil. Sounds pretty metal to me.

^Alex Webster told me that
I find it helps to accent heavily and have some attack in your tone. Using minor scales, octatonics and lots of chromatics helps too.
Quote by fluffpuff999
Replace your strings with barbed wire.

works every time
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
+1 on the barbwire

Mids down(not too down or you will completely disappear)

Heaviest Round Wound Gauge Strings you can find.

btw Cliff Burton wasnt that of a good bassist anyway.

and one thing:dont try to be the br00talz, please.
you sound like a complete dork and get only sarcasm and that ****.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker
+1 on the barbwire

Mids down(not too down or you will completely disappear)

Heaviest Round Wound Gauge Strings you can find.

btw Cliff Burton wasnt that of a good bassist anyway.

and one thing:dont try to be the br00talz, please.
you sound like a complete dork and get only sarcasm and that ****.

blasphemy
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by konfyouzd
blasphemy

fanboy.
ever listened to the MoP bass Master Track?
Search it on youtube

Also, I like black.

Listen to some Sleep, High on Fire, Om & Electric Wizard.
Boost the lows a little, boost the mids more, ease off on the treble
Throw a fuzz/OD in there (note, if you use a Muff style fuzz, generally keep in more to the left on the tone control)
Chorus
Really thick strings, although lead pipes will also work
& then tritones & minor scales

Edit: Also, a big cab set up like some 12s, 15s & maybe 18s will help, aswell as an octave pedal
Last edited by higgins666 at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by higgins666
Listen to some Sleep, High on Fire, Om & Electric Wizard.
Boost the lows a little, boost the mids more, ease off on the treble
Throw a fuzz/OD in there (note, if you use a Muff style fuzz, generally keep in more to the left on the tone control)
Chorus
Really thick strings, although lead pipes will also work
& then tritones & minor scales

well。
when you already mention those bands,
they are all tuned down which is also more heavy

but according to TSs start post its gonna be a crappy Metallica CoverBand anway
so why bother.

Also, I like black.

Quote by Dawnwalker
fanboy.
Search it on youtube

i like cliff burton so that makes me a fanboy... wow. grow up. there are plenty of good bassists in the world. i happen to like cliff burton. sue me.

EDIT: also... tuning down doesn't make you heavy... you can be heavy in any tuning. it's what you do with it. downtuning it a cheesy way to make yourself sound heavier than you are *for some people*.
Last edited by konfyouzd at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by konfyouzd
i like cliff burton so that makes me a fanboy... wow. grow up. there are plenty of good bassists in the world. i happen to like cliff burton. sue me.

EDIT: also... tuning down doesn't make you heavy... you can be heavy in any tuning. it's what you do with it. downtuning it a cheesy way to make yourself sound heavier than you are *for some people*.

nah im just still pissed a little because a Cliff Burton Fanboy punched me last night
for speaking blasphemy on that guy.
well downtuning=heaviness is personal preference i guess.

Also, I like black.

Quote by Dawnwalker
nah im just still pissed a little because a Cliff Burton Fanboy punched me last night
for speaking blasphemy on that guy.
well downtuning=heaviness is personal preference i guess.

punched you in the face? really?

and i can see why people downtune. it does sound heavy as **** it just seems kinda cheesy when people who only know power chords do it, ya know?
Quote by konfyouzd
punched you in the face? really?

and i can see why people downtune. it does sound heavy as **** it just seems kinda cheesy when people who only know power chords do it, ya know?

ya i know.
he kicked me in the nuts, i just didnt want to refrain that.

(Cliff should be ashamed.)

Also, I like black.

Quote by 83lespaulstudio
work your solos out with the drummer. the kick drum will give you the needed "boom"
your looking for.

+1

boost your bass and treb.
bridge pup
heavy picks and overdrive

But make sure your drummer does something heavy and bass filled to match. A bass solo in metal should double as a rhythm rampage or breakdown
Quote by Dawnwalker
fanboy.
Search it on youtube

I'm a fanboy, and I agree, Cliff is way overated. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Orion and Pulling Teeth much, great pieces of music, but he definately wasn't all he was cracked up to be. And yeah, MoP bassline is hilarious
Make sure the mix of your whole band is balanced.

Get your guitarists to cut their bass a bit, while you boost yours. Boost your upper mids and treble to get a bit more high end clank. I find this works really well for punching through live, especially if you are playing in lower tunings.
My way of getting a heavier sound:
1. Toneshaping.
1.1. Bass knob should be kept at the highest point that doesn't distort.
1.2. Mids/trebble - personal taste. I like a lot of highend.
1.3. Effects. Personal taste. I like it clean. You might like it with a fuzz.
2. Picking/Plucking style. Don't be a sissy. Hit the damn string hard. It's a bass for f*** sake - strings don't snap THAT easy. The more energy you put in to string plucking (No matter if it's finger or pick), the heavier the sound will be.
3. The music itself. Experiment once you have your tone. I know next to nothing in music theory (I'm basically familliar with my neckboard, some chords and that's pritty much all). Even a funny improvisation can lead to something good.
Strike the strings hard, whether you play with pick or fingers a hard attack is essential.

Boost your bass and treble.

Distort a little bit.

Write heavy stuff.
make sure the tone knob(s) on the guitar are at open (treble-y) or close to open. having them closed (bass-y) will make your sound all muddy and ****, but can be good for a mellowed out, softer sound. whilst leaving them open will give you much more charecter, you can dampen down the bits you don't want with the Amps EQ etc.
it's a mistake I used to make alot.

also, use the bridge pickup if you have a choice.

Other thing you could do if you're confident about it is set up fot tuning BEAD (low strings of a 5 string) maybe, I've never tried this but the low B on my 5 string sounds quite 'heavy.'
Flats, light drive, and heavy attack.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115