Good day. I have a little problem which was has been bugging me for some time now. I have been playing guitar for a short time (4 months that is) and I have no problem playing solo guitar. I can play Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pink Floyd) solo easy, as well a couple of solos from Dogs (Pink Floyd), and a couple of solos from Davids Gilmour On An Island album. However I am unable to play rhythm part from those songs or any other. I can not play chord based songs as well. I hope you understand what I am saying. So is this really bad and I am musically retarded or is it okay and I will get over it in sometime? : ) Thank you, hope my bad English doesn't scare you. : D
I think I know what your saying. If I'm right, you can play solos easier because it's not as hard for you to press down for a single note. Or, you can switch the note faster because it's the single note. With the chords, it's harder because there is more there/it's harder to change chords fast. I had that problem for about a month, my friend is going through it. You'll get past it, just practice.
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
When you play the solos, do you play them cleanly with the same emotion that Gilmour plays them? If not then it's really just a lack of experience so just be patient and practice and you will nail it one day.
Work on your chord playing speed and technique. Like you practiced for the leads, practice the same for the rhythms and chords.

Sometimes people underestimate the complexity or difficulty of chord playing, but they actually require a lot of work to get the transition speed and accuracy high.
Thank you guys. Drmmrboi180 you hit it spot on : ) You described my situation perfectly. : )
Well maybe then some one could recommend a good song to practice the chord part? : ) Only not metal please. : )

EDIT: pwrmax I do not think that 5 months is enough to play the same as Gilmour, that guy is a machine from my point of you and I do believe that it is possible to play 98% as him, but I do not think that there is a hole lot of people out there who can play 100% the same as him. : ) I heard a lot of good covers of Gilmours solos however they still aren't the same as the original. : )
Last edited by Mekon at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by Mekon
EDIT: pwrmax I do not think that 5 months is enough to play the same as Gilmour, that guy is a machine from my point of you and I do believe that it is possible to play 98% as him, but I do not think that there is a hole lot of people out there who can play 100% the same as him. : ) I heard a lot of good covers of Gilmours solos however they still aren't the same as the original. : )

That's my point, I think the TS is under the impression that lead guitar takes more skill than rhythm.
Well before I started playing I thought also that rhythm is easy, but now I see. I have a hard time even keeping my pick in the right position at some moments. Thanks to everyone for clearing up the situation. : )
Practice. A lot. It'll be really boring, and you'll probably get sick of the songs fast. The first song I learned was "Good Riddance", but I got dang good at playing those four chords. I wouldn't start with any barre chords just yet, so maybe a simple C-D-G progression (can't think of songs at the moment, sorry).
yeah I am going to search for some myself. : ) Hope I will find some.
If you can't play the rhythm parts it's because you haven't tried - nothing is a given on the guitar. You can play the things you've practiced, you can't play the things you haven't...it's as simple as that. If you wan't to play the rhythm parts you need to learn and practice the techniques required, than learn the songs that use them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well yeah I tried a couple of time and it was hard, other stuff was easier so I focused on that more. You probably are right, it is just laziness. : ) If some one had a good chord based song for beginners please tell me. : ) Thank you. : )
Quote by Mekon
Well yeah I tried a couple of time and it was hard, other stuff was easier so I focused on that more. You probably are right, it is just laziness. : ) If some one had a good chord based song for beginners please tell me. : ) Thank you. : )

Just search the tabs on this website. Most songs have a "chords" version of the tab that has only the lyrics and chords.

edit: For now, you might be better off just practicing chord changes and learning more chords. Then once you start to feel comfortable switching between all the most popular chords, you can start thinking about learning songs.

At a minimun, you should be comfortable with these chords (and switching randomly between them):

A, Am, A7, B, C, D, Dm, D7, E, Em, F, G and G7

Once you've mastered those chords, you'll be able to play LOTS of songs and other chords should start becoming easier to learn. Then you can start focusing on barre chords, and once you've mastered all the barre chord shapes, the possibilities will be nearly endless.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Guitartist at Jul 20, 2009,
If you can't find a song that uses the chords you want to practice, make you're own up. Even if you're just practicing changing between 2 chords play about with the rhythm to make it more interesting for yourself.
Ok. You gave me a lot of things to think about. You all have been very helpful. : )
Try to play For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica. The rythm part is pretty easy, Ive even been able to do the vocals on it while doing rythm(a rare thing for me).
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by smartalec007
Try to play For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica. The rythm part is pretty easy, Ive even been able to do the vocals on it while doing rythm(a rare thing for me).

Oky I'll try that. I searched the net for basic chords theory and other stuff, because I have 0 knowledge of music only what string to strum at what moment. : ) So now it is time to learn some book stuff for me. : )
I'm a fan of the I-vi-IV-V progression, which in G is G-Em-C-D. They're all pretty easy chords to learn and when combined with various strumming patterns, can be used to form a whole range of classic rock tunes. Then, when you are feeling more confident, you can try playing the same progression, but in the key of C, which is C-Am-F-G. The F-chord is a good test of your finger strength.
Quote by Mekon
Oky I'll try that. I searched the net for basic chords theory and other stuff, because I have 0 knowledge of music only what string to strum at what moment. : ) So now it is time to learn some book stuff for me. : )

Try some of the simpler Pink Floyd songs.

Songs like Pigs on the Wing (Part I and II) and Mother have a rather simple chord progression. As does Brain Damage from DSOTM.

When it comes to the chord changes, isolate the chord change that is giving you trouble and repeat that change over and over again, ignoring the song for a while, untill your brain develops the neural net you need and your hands get around the chord change.

Once you have the changes down, go tackle the song again and work on the next difficult chord change!
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
You get good at what you practice. Many guitarists have a bias towards lead and spend their practice time working scales. If you neglect rhythm/chords, you won't be as good with them.
Quote by Mekon
Good day. I have a little problem which was has been bugging me for some time now. I have been playing guitar for a short time (4 months that is) and I have no problem playing solo guitar. I can play Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pink Floyd) solo easy, as well a couple of solos from Dogs (Pink Floyd), and a couple of solos from Davids Gilmour On An Island album. However I am unable to play rhythm part from those songs or any other. I can not play chord based songs as well. I hope you understand what I am saying. So is this really bad and I am musically retarded or is it okay and I will get over it in sometime? : ) Thank you, hope my bad English doesn't scare you. : D

I hate to say something so painfully obvious, but the answer to your problem is...

Practice playing rhythm guitar, and allow yourself the time it takes to develop that skill.

EDIT:

^ alot of people above gave more or less the same advice.

be patient. 4 months in nothing. Keep at it.... have fun.
Quote by jsepguitar
You get good at what you practice. Many guitarists have a bias towards lead and spend their practice time working scales. If you neglect rhythm/chords, you won't be as good with them.

Well said
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 29, 2009,
Well I have been practicing lately and I can feel that I am getting a little better step by step. : ) yeah, everyone was right that it is simply my lack of practice. : )
Quote by Mekon

Lol just jam with me! I have the same problem but in reverse
i don't really like when people differentiate between rhythm and lead playing. if you don't have both, you really don't have either. whatever you feel you're weaker at TS, just practice that. I felt the same way when i was just beginning. leads have distinct, easy to follow melodies and your ear can follow that better and help you stay on track. but really, once you've been playing for a while, the rhythms will become more natural.

My mind is going. I can feel it.