Page 1 of 2
i searched for an automobile thread and didnt find one. i thought we used to have one. anyway. my aunt is willing to sell me her '85 Jeep Grand Cherokee for $1400.
the only things wrong with it is:
-New windshield wiper motor.
-hole in floorboard next to brake pedal
-gas gauge broke
-power steering leaks (she bought a new seal for it so i just have to replace that)

now i can fix the gas gauge. probably just replace the wiring or float. and i can fix the hole with some sheet metal. but what about the windshield wiper motor? does anybody know where i can find one? junkyards wont have them because all their parts will be 90's and up probably. and i highly doubt the company still manufactures them.

And also, does anybody know anything that goes wrong with Jeeps or anything i should know about? it has 146k miles on it so its really not that bad. and next year i can get historical plates on it Besides the listed problems up there ^^ there is nothing wrong with it. im planning on replacing the air filter and battery when i buy it but is there any problems that Jeeps commonly have that i should know about? or anything i should look into?

thx
Quote by captaincrunk
The wiper motor might be as much as 200 bucks. Also, she's ripping you off, really hard.

in what way? its in perfect condition as far as exterior and interior goes. plus brand new 31in michelin tires. the things i listed are the only problems. no rust. runs good as far as i know. has working 4 wheel drive. (great for ohio lulz)

she bought it for 1800 a year ago.

also, i think you helped me in my subwoofer questions too...say hello to my friend request
i know you didn't search hard if you couldn't find a car thread, but anyways: don't buy it. you are getting insanely ripped off. the work going into that vehicle is worth more than the vehicle itself. a windshield wiper motor alone will cost more than that thing is worth.

the reason it's a rip off is this:

a 1990 grand cherokee will cost you the same price and its 5 years younger. she is charging you way too much for a vehicle that needs work done to it.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by codynw42
in what way? its in perfect condition as far as exterior and interior goes. plus brand new 31in michelin tires. the things i listed are the only problems. no rust. runs good as far as i know. has working 4 wheel drive. (great for ohio lulz)

she bought it for 1800 a year ago.

also, i think you helped me in my subwoofer questions too...say hello to my friend request

You can get a much newer Jeep with less problems for the same price... Factor in the repairs in the price - and don't pay more than 300 bucks
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
i know you didn't search hard if you couldn't find a car thread, but anyways: don't buy it. you are getting insanely ripped off. the work going into that vehicle is worth more than the vehicle itself. a windshield wiper motor alone will cost more than that thing is worth.

so your saying this car is worth less than $200.

i think you guys are mistaken. from what i see, its a nice jeep. the work will not take me long at all. the only thing im paying for is the wiper motor too...

well.. heres the link. check it out. and ignore the kc lights. im takin those monkeys off

hurr ya go
Quote by captaincrunk
Hell no, especially because its not a very practical vehicle anyway. It's a two door SUV. Also, For 1800 you can get A LOT of car, especially if you are patient. My car cost 300 and It's much nicer than that jeep.

agreed. buying a 2 door SUV is like reading a book with the beginning and ending missing.

for $1800 you can get a Nissan Sentra which will last you infinitely longer than some 1985 jeep garbage. for $3000 you might be able to get an old Toyota Landcruiser.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
agreed. buying a 2 door SUV is like reading a book with the beginning and ending missing.

for $1800 you can get a Nissan Sentra which will last you infinitely longer than some 1985 jeep garbage. for $3000 you might be able to get an old Toyota Landcruiser.

Landcruisers are sexy. And since you want subs.... Get a hatchback or 4 door SUV so you will have space for other things, gear etc.
Quote by enzoslashslash
You can get a much newer Jeep with less problems for the same price... Factor in the repairs in the price - and don't pay more than 300 bucks

Actually i've heard Jeeps, being the newer models, are terrible vehicles.. Apparently they are purely ****..

But hey, Australia might get the scraps while other countries get the gold
Quote by ShallowEndings
Actually i've heard Jeeps, being the newer models, are terrible vehicles.. Apparently they are purely ****..

But hey, Australia might get the scraps while other countries get the gold

Those models you speak of are much newer than the ones i was referring to, as in post 1998-2005.
Dude for one it's a 2.5 crap! I exclusively build and drive jeeps and i say don't buy the thing. it isn't worth it for the 4 cylinder. if it had the I6 then maybe specially 2door and a 5 speed. rare package. but its got a 4 cylinder, it's bunk no buy
Quote by RawrDemon
"Side effects may include... INVOLUNTARY ANAL DISCHARGE."

Scitzo of the bass militia, PM Nutter_101 to join.
also, the whole "its in great condition" thing does not apply here. when i take a crap after having a sunday dinner the corn is still in pretty "good condition" that doesn't change the fact that it's shit. you can't polish a turd.

my advice to you is save your money, and buy something worth while. wait till you have at the very least $5000 saved up, and then go car shopping.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Bah, jeeps are not garbage. for a purpose built offroader they are probably the best off the line. the cherokees especially, if it has the I6. My cherokee has over 200 thousand miles and runs extremely strong. Sentra's are a soccer mom piece of crap. they are ifs and aren't worth it for a 4 WHEEL DRIVE. you don't buy a jeep because it's economical, but because they kick ass offroad. and dude jeeps will outlast some Japanese POS. sorry, but jeeps are built better and designed to take abuse from hell.
Also, the 4 door or 2 door thing, they are the same inside just the front seats fold down to accommodate the entry to the back. No difference on the inside though. And they do have plenty of room i have dual 12"s in the back of mine and enough tools and spares to keep me on a trail incase of breakdown. includes shafts enough tools to tear down axles and trannys and replacement fluid. and jacks. so the Jeep cherokee is an all around extremely good vehicle for offroad purposes not just economical i'm a jackass with an suv so im going to load big ass subs and blare them like an escalade.
Quote by RawrDemon

Last edited by metallight16 at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
also, the whole "its in great condition" thing does not apply here. when i take a crap after having a sunday dinner the corn is still in pretty "good condition" that doesn't change the fact that it's shit. you can't polish a turd.

*Throwing up icon goes here, can't find it...*
Quote by metallight16
Bah, jeeps are not garbage. for a purpose built offroader they are probably the best off the line. the cherokees especially, if it has the I6. My cherokee has over 200 thousand miles and runs extremely strong. Sentra's are a soccer mom piece of crap. they are ifs and aren't worth it for a 4 WHEEL DRIVE. you don't buy a jeep because it's economical, but because they kick ass offroad. and dude jeeps will outlast some Japanese POS. sorry, but jeeps are built better and designed to take abuse from hell.

jeeps are great when they aren't 24 years old. a rubicon is fantastic... a 2 door grand cherokee from '85 is not.
That's not a grand cherokee. that's a cherokee. Big difference. and my jeep is an 88' and is in immaculate condition, i know because i work on it and fix everything. Dude, i have a 1948 CJ2A that is still using the original engine and all other drive train. It's freakin awesome. so don't bash a jeep, they have lasted longer than any Japanese POS i've ever seen. with a little work jeeps will last as long as you take care of it. the I6 is indestructible. and so far after owning every major American manufacturer's vehicle jeeps have lasted the longest and have the best reliability.
Quote by RawrDemon

Quote by metallight16
That's not a grand cherokee. that's a cherokee. Big difference. and my jeep is an 88' and is in immaculate condition, i know because i work on it and fix everything. Dude, i have a 1948 CJ2A that is still using the original engine and all other drive train. It's freakin awesome. so don't bash a jeep, they have lasted longer than any Japanese POS i've ever seen. with a little work jeeps will last as long as you take care of it. the I6 is indestructible. and so far after owning every major American manufacturer's vehicle jeeps have lasted the longest and have the best reliability.

TS said grand cherokee. I like jeeps, the problem is, you are mentioning good vehicles. a jeep with an i6 kicks ass, but TS's jeep has a 4 cylinder, it also has apparently not been too well taken care of. Jeeps were based on military trucks, of course they're going to be tough, but they are also commercial vehicles meaning there are low end models that are not so good. this one is low end model.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 20, 2009,
They didn't produce the grand Cherokee in 85, they started production in 93. so that's a Cherokee and the original add says Cherokee.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Cherokee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ)

There's a freaking difference. When i say i am exclusive with them i am a jeep guru.
Quote by RawrDemon

Quote by metallight16
They didn't produce the grand Cherokee in 85, they started production in 93. so that's a Cherokee and the original add says Cherokee.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Cherokee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ)

There's a freaking difference. When i say i am exclusive with them i am a jeep guru.

well hell, that only serves my point better than. TS is getting the base model. it isn't a grand cherokee its just the base Cherokee. its got a 4 cyl engine.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
TS said grand cherokee. I like jeeps, the problem is, you are mentioning good vehicles. a jeep with an i6 kicks ass, but TS's jeep has a 4 cylinder, it also has apparently not been too well taken care of. Jeeps were based on military trucks, of course they're going to be tough, but they are also commercial vehicles meaning there are low end models that are not so good. this one is low end model.

Umm, no the Cherokee is technically just sating to the SUV crowd. Not necessarily cheap. the 4 cylinder that jeep Cherokee has is bunk there's no reason to get one. and the jeep was not designed from military trucks. It was designed by a company called bantam motor cars of America in the late 30's then the military sold the contract to ford and Willy's-Overland corp. and from there they were technically called MB's then the CJ for civilian jeep and Jeep comes from the term GP- General purpose. or Jeep when said.

THEY DIDN"T MAKE THE GRAND TILL 1993 IF YOU CAN"T READ. yes my first post said don't buy it because it isn't worth it. but don't bash jeeps unless you know the facts. which you obviously didn't.
Quote by RawrDemon

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

TS's pick is a Cherokee, i think.

Exactly, this isn't a loaded model or anything. It probably has manual locks and windows etc. You'll quickly grow tired of the ****tyness of a low end 1985 Cherokee.

It has a hole in the floorboard, it is anything but mint.

The wiper motor will cost at least 150, they really aren't cheap because there isn't a high demand for 1985 Cherokee wiper motors. Also, she'll never get 2500 for that POS.

EDIT:
Quote by metallight16
Umm, no the Cherokee is technically just sating to the SUV crowd. Not necessarily cheap. the 4 cylinder that jeep Cherokee has is bunk there's no reason to get one. and the jeep was not designed from military trucks. It was designed by a company called bantam motor cars of America in the late 30's then the military sold the contract to ford and Willy's-Overland corp. and from there they were technically called MB's then the CJ for civilian jeep and Jeep comes from the term GP- General purpose. or Jeep when said.

THEY DIDN"T MAKE THE GRAND TILL 1993 IF YOU CAN"T READ. yes my first post said don't buy it because it isn't worth it. but don't bash jeeps unless you know the facts. which you obviously didn't.

Shinysides is right. Its a military truck.
Last edited by captaincrunk at Jul 20, 2009,
No, it's classified as a 1/4 ton truck shinysides said designed FROM millitary trucks. It was not. it was purpose designed to be a general purpose 4x4 1/4 truck with room for 4 fully loaded GI's and weighed under 1200 pounds. read your freaking history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep READ!!!! it works sometimes. i had to do a project on jeeps which required me to do all the research on it.
Quote by RawrDemon

No, it's classified as a 1/4 ton truck shinysides said designed FROM millitary trucks. It was not. it was purpose designed to be a general purpose 4x4 1/4 truck with room for 4 fully loaded GI's and weighed under 1200 pounds. read your freaking history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep READ!!!! it works sometimes. i had to do a project on jeeps which required me to do all the research on it.
He didn't make a history mistake, he made a grammar mistake, get over it.

Also, so did you, I bolded it for you. Should I give you a Wikipedia article about albatrosses now?
1. She is charging too much anyway

2. Shes family; dont you get any discount?
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
how is that a grammar mistake? It was designed for a specific purpose, which was to be a general purpose vehicle. Be a command car, light reconnaissance vehicle, transport, whatever it needed to be at the time. See a general purpose vehicle.

F*** YEA GIVE ME ALBATROSS'ES THEY BRING TEH AWESOMENESS!!!
Quote by RawrDemon

Quote by metallight16
how is that a grammar mistake? It was designed for a specific purpose, which was to be a general purpose vehicle. Be a command car, light reconnaissance vehicle, transport, whatever it needed to be at the time. See a general purpose vehicle.

Who but the military used it, until they sold it?

That's the point. No one else needed a vehicle that could do all the jeep could do. That's why they bought it up.
umm, after WW2 almost another million were sold to farmers because they needed a small light general purpose vehicle that could be outfitted with all kinds of gadgets that could be used on a farm. The military commissioned the Jeep be built by Bantam for that specific purpose. they sent out a contract to all major manufacturers stating build us a vehicle that weighs 1278 pounds can carry 4 fully loaded GI's be able to be used for hauling howitzers and trailers, have a 1/4 ton rating, have 4 Wheel drive and have 120 foot pounds of torque.
Quote by RawrDemon

Quote by metallight16
umm, after WW2 almost another million were sold to farmers because they needed a small light general purpose vehicle that could be outfitted with all kinds of gadgets that could be used on a farm. The military commissioned the Jeep be built by Bantam for that specific purpose. they sent out a contract to all major manufacturers stating build us a vehicle that weighs 1278 pounds can carry 4 fully loaded GI's be able to be used for hauling howitzers and trailers, have a 1/4 ton rating, have 4 Wheel drive and have 120 foot pounds of torque.

Exactly.
They didn't sell the jeep during the war though? what is your point? The JEEP was a general purpose vehicle built to be that way for the MILITARY. To be general purpose for the military.
Quote by RawrDemon

Quote by metallight16
They didn't sell the jeep during the war though? what is your point? The JEEP was a general purpose vehicle built to be that way for the MILITARY. To be general purpose for the military.

Shinysides made a grammatical error in saying from instead of for. Get over it. He was also correct in his extrapolations, that a jeep should be well built and tough, even though the basest of models usually aren't. You decided you wanted to show off your vaunted knowledge, and pretended he was wrong.
captaincrunk I will give you a word of advice.

Once he gets going on an argument about jeeps, he will continue until his point is proven.

And he will prove it. Trust me, I help the guy work on jeeps at his house. He knows what hes talking about.

EDIT: ON TOPIC!!!!

TS, what you described is only known as a P.O.S.

Hoping I dont have to elaborate...its as simple as dont buy it, its not worth the money.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Last edited by valennic at Jul 20, 2009,
OK, thank you that explains everything much clearer. the basest models are the same vehicle just didn't options. ok, so he doesn't have electric seats and electric door locks and electric windows. It's still the same jeep though running gear wise except it has a 4 cylinder, which is the **** factor on jeeps, otherwise the I6 has the same transmission, same transfer case and running gear and suspension. still the same tough dependable jeep just different engine.

Shinyside didn't make a grammatical error. he states based on military trucks. how can that be grammatically wrong?
Quote by RawrDemon

Quote by valennic
captaincrunk I will give you a word of advice.

Once he gets going on an argument about jeeps, he will continue until his point is proven.

And he will prove it. Trust me, I help the guy work on jeeps at his house. He knows what hes talking about.

Heres the thing, there is no point to prove. No matter how much knowledge he has, he cannot win because there really is nothing to prove here. Shinysides said that the current jeeps come from vehicles designed for the military. This guy then says, nu uh they were vehicles designed for the military.
O.o

EDIT: How did the hole get in the floorboard if the car is rust free?
Quote by metallight16
Buy a later model with a better engine.

Simplified

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by captaincrunk
Heres the thing, there is no point to prove. No matter how much knowledge he has, he cannot win because there really is nothing to prove here. Shinysides said that the current jeeps come from vehicles designed for the military. This guy then says, nu uh they were vehicles designed for the military.
O.o

EDIT: How did the hole get in the floorboard if the car is rust free?

Jeeps aren't used in the military anymore... they havn't been since the vietnam war. so no current jeeps come from vehicles designed for the military today.

Because she is lying the jeep is probably covered in rust you just don't see it. shes from ohio, they salt the roads and that removes the undercoating from cars and bam instant rust.
Quote by RawrDemon

Quote by metallight16
Jeeps aren't used in the military anymore... they havn't been since the vietnam war. so no current jeeps come from vehicles designed for the millitary today

The original concept is clearly what shinysides was referring to. The current (and 1985) designs rely heavily on the basic concept of the Jeep, which includes being a tough thing to break etc.

EDIT:
Quote by metallight16
Because she is lying the jeep is probably covered in rust you just don't see it. shes from ohio, they salt the roads and that removes the undercoating from cars and bam instant rust.

Duh?

EDIT 2: It's bedtime. Give up, because this argument has nothing to do with jeeps, but with grammar. No loss of face here, I'm not attacking your Jeep knowledge.
Bah, stupid argument.

Ok.

Shinysides say: Jeeps today are based on military trucks. AKA, jeeps, from the old world wars.

Fred: Bantam motors made the jeeps, then sold the design, blah blah blah, to military, creating jeeps.

BOTH SAY: Jeeps today come from jeeps back then.

Correct me if I missed something. I'm half asleep.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance