My band has recently decided to choose the path of playing ska music. I have been very excited about this but as i seem to start writing music i just can't seem to get a original piece out of my head. It feels like there is no more uniqueness in ska chords and its getting very frustrating to try and write these parts. Is there anything that can help me improve on my ska writing like a website with some tips or something? It makes me think that ska songs are generally written around the horns seeing that they take place of the guitar most of the time.
I don't know of any websites per se. I had a similar problem when I started writing ska. I found it helped to take any song and make it a ska song. That helped me write with more variety.

What kind of progressions have you come up with so far?
Upstroke on the offbeat, that's pretty much all ska guitar is. As for the chords, try doing some covers first and pick up on the traits of ska music.
Quote by 100% less
It makes me think that ska songs are generally written around the horns seeing that they take place of the guitar most of the time.

Most of the time, it's just a normal chord progression. It's not necessarily written around the horns, but rather the horns add an essential accent to the song.
its like reggae, but without the keyboard and more drums. In fact, it even came from jamaica
just write a normal progression then add a 7 to every chord, except the last (which may have a 9)
really, there is no formula.
Last edited by mdwallin at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by mdwallin
its like reggae, but without the keyboard and more drums. In fact, it even came from mexico
just write a normal progression then add a 7 to every chord, except the last (which may have a 9)
really, there is no formula.

it came from Jamaica. It even pre-dates reggae IIRC.

But what I do is that I play a normal barre chord and just play the treble strings. I think that's what just about everyone does though.