#First thread ever!!!!#

This is thread is for anyone out there playing there guitar and has broken a string but ahs not replaced it.
I need to know what string it is and which ones are left.
The object of this thread is also to find the strangest combinations of open notes that you have left on your guitar. Do you continue to play or do you stop playing until you have it fixed? Does it frustrate you or do you make exceptionaly great music??

Another reason for this thread would, diverse tuning, changing strings as well as stringing technique.
Just have fun with it and be nice to eachother

****** I am playing with my(low E, A, B, and high E)
How would you tune this to make it better???
Give me thumbs up or a thumbs down if you know how I feel.

This is so frustrating to break strings and dont have the cash to replace them or dont have the time; tell me about it!!!
How would you make it better and what string would you buy? How would you put them on?
How dangerous is it to snap a string??

I want to know if any noobs have snaped an eye out. Did it hurt?? Did you receive medical attention?

I hope you like to talk about strings??
Have fun and be careful. Dont lose your cool lol

Sincerly Dander!!!!
Why put the thread in Acoustic & Classical Guitar?

anyway, here's my story...
I allways carry a spare set. Also, I don't throw away old sets. About two weeks ago I broke an A(at the end of the gig fortunately) and I had an old set from which I had broken the lower E so I just took the the A from that one. It won't sound as nice as a new set but I probably won't change it untill I'll have to gig again... or it breaks
Quote by Sis_ring_under
I guess no one knows what I mean huh??

I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly have no idea what you are talking about. When a string breaks, you put a new one on. Am I missing something?

Edit: And it is SUPER dangerous to break strings. I always play with a full riot mask.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Jul 20, 2009,
Yeah, I had my high E string break on my classical when I first began playing. I had no idea what I was doing, and couldnt' play anything. Since I had no idea what standard tuning was, or how to play, or anything...I turned the nobs until they sounded like a major chord (I was a musician at the time, just not a string musician) and so got it into some kind of open tuning with the remaining strings.

Over time the G string also broke, but it had a string and octave below it and so the open tuning still worked.

I taught myself how to play multiple songs in that weird tuning.
I then learned what standard tuning was, and when I got serious into it, bought strings and tuned it up.

To this day I have not been able to recreate the tuning, which makes me sad.
Composer of Scores for Film/Video Games/TV/and More!
Contact me if you have a project that you need music of any style for!
I probably broke around 8 high e's and have 50 diffrent b,d,g,a,e lying around. I just broke another one few minutes ago.. I think i am going to order just e strings online..
Back when I was a beginner I'd break a string and go a few weeks without it until I went to go buy strings. Now I always have a spare pack... so I never have to deal with these kinda problems anymore.
Ahh time to share dust off some wisdom. Since I'm cheap, I dont ever buy single strings only sets and rarely at that, when one string breaks I find a substitute, I'll make a string out of anything. Once this lazyness went to the point were the B and e(1st) were nylon fishing wire, the G and E(6th, I tuned it an octave up) were the same thickness as the D, but the for some reason the A string never broke. The guitar sounded akward and dissonant, it was interesting.
Last edited by Haedadru at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by Haedadru
...nylon fishing wire...

Well, what else do you think nylon guitar strings are?

...or are you talking about using fishing wire to replace steel strings?
TS, tune the A down either one or two semitones down. You then have open E major, or open E minor tuning.
Or: tune the B up one semitone to get open A minor tuning (Two semitones would get you open A major, but I wouldn't tune the string that high).
Or: Tune the low E up two semitones. Tune the high E down one semitone. You get a B major with a minor seventh tuning.

As for me, my strings never break, so I never have this problem.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
I've been playing for a while now and i'm yet to brake a string whilst playing.

I'm starting to worry i'm doing somthing wrong.

lol.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by Baby Joel

As for me, my strings never break, so I never have this problem.

i just broke my first string last month or so after never breaking a string ever. i broke my low E while doing a pinch harmonic, super br00tal

i even took a picture

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/m_robert/broken.jpg?t=1248206161

the picture's kinda big so i decided to just leave it a link.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite

i even took a picture

What a fail Mikey.

I should correct my last statement.

My strings have never broken since I've gone up to gauge .013-.056.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by malephik
Why put the thread in Acoustic & Classical Guitar?

anyway, here's my story...
I allways carry a spare set. Also, I don't throw away old sets. About two weeks ago I broke an A(at the end of the gig fortunately) and I had an old set from which I had broken the lower E so I just took the the A from that one. It won't sound as nice as a new set but I probably won't change it untill I'll have to gig again... or it breaks

I posted this thread in this forum because I have an acoustic guitar not an electric but I guess it doesnt matter what guitar you have as long as it has strings to break on it