Ok...I play through a,no longer made, Marshall called a AVT 50 H. At Mid level volume it sounds brutal through my Metal Zone pedal. However at high volume it sounds very weird. It goes way to bass-y and you can hardly make a good sound. The bass is fairly low on both pedal and head but it still doesn't work. Suggestions?

Amp effects as follows:

Gain(1-10) Volume(1-10) Bass(1-10)Treble(1-10)

Pedal effects:

Level(1-10) EQ HIGHS/LOWS(-15-+15)Middle/mid frequency(200-5k)Gain(1-10)

I am getting via mail a Boss EQ pedal soon.Should this help?
may do yeah, can you get a decent distortion off the amp without the metal zone?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
The AVT was OK but not great and being a hybrid the sound quality will deteriorate as it gets louder. If you want quality tone at high volume you should look at a valve amp and get a better pedal.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by turtlewax
may do yeah, can you get a decent distortion off the amp without the metal zone?
No. The distortion on the amp is terrible.
Sounds like its clipping especially considering your running a distortion pedal infront of it with the level dimed probably..

Go with a better ss/tube amp and no pedal better pedal and less level. But dont expect much out of the second option thats the main reason SS amps come with so much headroom.
Quote by Doadman
The AVT was OK but not great and being a hybrid the sound quality will deteriorate as it gets louder. If you want quality tone at high volume you should look at a valve amp and get a better pedal.

You are right. The AVT is Ok. It has some beautiful tone for blues leads but with heavy metal the AVT phones it in. I do love my pedal,though. Any suggestions for a new amp? Krank is the goal but what is more practical? Line 6? Orange?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Sounds like its clipping especially considering your running a distortion pedal infront of it with the level dimed probably..

Go with a better ss/tube amp and no pedal better pedal and less level. But dont expect much out of the second option thats the main reason SS amps come with so much headroom.

Wow,so it really might be the pedal as well?
Quote by Lon_Chaney666
Wow,so it really might be the pedal as well?

Yes espeically if your not running a huge chain which would kill of some of that signal. If your just going guitar, metal zone to amp and its dimed your pushing that amp way way to hard. But that said either way SS amps and anything past 5 oclock your getting close to the clipping zone.
i used to have the 75 watt version of this amp, 2X12 combo, and TS, correct me if i'm wrong in my description, it died over 6 months ago, if it was new, cost like 600 USD right? good volume amount, especially for light gigs or bedroom, pretty darn good cleans, nice and warm, decent overdrive, but for anything more overdriven then like, MAYBE hendrix, that's if it could even do that decently, it is terrible and cant do it,

i even had that same pedal, could get a good distortion with it, just keep the level about half so it won't clip, but otherwise, if you REALLY want a better tone, tbh, just get a peavey 100 watt solid state, cost less or the same, sounds better, more features, and can actually do distortion, if you're not looking for buying anything new, just put amp on clean, set the pedal to half or less on level, and use the amp for volume and set the eq on the amp and pedal however you like, hope that helps

EDIT: as far as new amp, try out the peavey vypyr 60, tube power amp, so it sounds a little different/better than the 100, also, check out the spyder valve, compared to the marshall which would be anorexic, this thing would be like Arnold back in his body building days.....your choice though
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Last edited by Metalmaker at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by Metalmaker
i used to have the 75 watt version of this amp, 2X12 combo, and TS, correct me if i'm wrong in my description, it died over 6 months ago, if it was new, cost like 600 USD right? good volume amount, especially for light gigs or bedroom, pretty darn good cleans, nice and warm, decent overdrive, but for anything more overdriven then like, MAYBE hendrix, that's if it could even do that decently, it is terrible and cant do it,

i even had that same pedal, could get a good distortion with it, just keep the level about half so it won't clip, but otherwise, if you REALLY want a better tone, tbh, just get a peavey 100 watt solid state, cost less or the same, sounds better, more features, and can actually do distortion, if you're not looking for buying anything new, just put amp on clean, set the pedal to half or less on level, and use the amp for volume and set the eq on the amp and pedal however you like, hope that helps

EDIT: as far as new amp, try out the peavey vypyr 60, tube power amp, so it sounds a little different/better than the 100, also, check out the spyder valve, compared to the marshall which would be anorexic, this thing would be like Arnold back in his body building days.....your choice though

That was a big help.Thankyou! I was 15 when I bought this POS and now at 22 I realize I was suckered. I was a young fool with $600 to blow and they smelled me from a mile away.Lol Spyder Valve?Line 6,right?
Quote by Lon_Chaney666
Krank is the goal but what is more practical? Line 6? Orange?

Save for your Krank, if you don't need huge ammounts of wattage get the Rev Jr. ministack. Line 6 is not an option as they only make a couple of amps worth buying. The Spider models are crap bascially, and you'd be better served with your AVT. Looking at Orange amps, most of them are priced at a level where they could hardly be considered "stand-in" amps, never mind the quality of tone they produce. The only ones that are cheap are the Crush practice series and these may not be loud enough and certainly don't sound good enough for what you want to achieve.

Short answer: Save for the Krank, and adjust your settings with your Metal Zone and amp to get a more satisfactory tone.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Used Ampeg VH140c or one of its clones...

Do you have that *ctrl + C*'d? A worthy suggestion none the less.

What sort of budget are you looking at, and what sort of metal specifically?
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
Do you have that *ctrl + C*'d? A worthy suggestion none the less.

What sort of budget are you looking at, and what sort of metal specifically?

It should be a sticky by now