Over the last couple of months, I have acquired a good amount of money. It is time for me to get a good amp (finally), and the time is now, as my old ****ty amp just crapped out on me

Im basically looking at 3 amps, however I'm open to any kickass amps. The first is a Marshall JCM800 (one or two channel i havent decided yet, as they both have their pros and cons). The second (which is the most expensive by far) is the Mesa Boogie Mark V. My Friend just bought one, I've personally played it, and it really kicks ass. The only downside is the gaping hole in my wallet that will come with the purchase. The third is a Splawn Nitro, which is a very kickass amp as well.

What I'm Looking For:
- I have a very broad taste in music, from Blues to Metal, so im looking for something that can do all that well.
- I'm looking for an Alice in Chains type of distortion.
- Amp has to have decent cleans.
- Preferably a lead channel, but i can make due with pedals and such if that can't happen.

There really isnt a price range right now as im making a good amount of money and am willing to spend a lot on an amp thats going to last me a while.

Sorry for the wall of text, but help is really appreciated.

Thanks,

Hirschberger
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
I'd be personally split between the Splawn and Mesa. i own the mesa and its definitly a nice amp and can get you any tone under the sun. it just takes some work because of all the controls
as for the splawn i played one extensively this weekend and was blown away. i wanted to sell my mark IV to pay for it. Great od channel, surprising clean channel

The jcm800 is a great amp too but it all comes down to which model of the jcm 800 you are looking at.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
I'd be personally split between the Splawn and Mesa. i own the mesa and its definitly a nice amp and can get you any tone under the sun. it just takes some work because of all the controls
as for the splawn i played one extensively this weekend and was blown away. i wanted to sell my mark IV to pay for it. Great od channel, surprising clean channel

The jcm800 is a great amp too but it all comes down to which model of the jcm 800 you are looking at.

Well the reason i'm -probably- going to count the JCM800 out of the question is because its so not versatile. The one-channel can only be dirty (and its great at that) but i dont feel like tap dancing with pedals while rolling back the volume knob when i can just step on the footpedal

I have never really heard great things about splawns cleans. i know their distortion and lead tones though.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by Hirschberger
Well the reason i'm -probably- going to count the JCM800 out of the question is because its so not versatile. The one-channel can only be dirty (and its great at that) but i dont feel like tap dancing with pedals while rolling back the volume knob when i can just step on the footpedal

I have never really heard great things about splawns cleans. i know their distortion and lead tones though.

The clean surprised me when i tried it. It was good. Maybe not Mark V fender clean, but it was good.

as for the jcm800, theres some pedals which can take off the edge of one channel amps.

take this for example
http://www.homebrewelectronics.com/signature.html

the pg pedal. The clip is a perfect example of what it does. Read pauls notes to see just what he wanted it to be designed. he's a big user of single channel amps, and can still get a great clean live sound.

Edit: MatrixClaw needs to come in here and help. he can help you much more with the splawn information. I only played it for a couple of hours this past week
I'm not sure though because im willing to spend money, but i love all 3 amps haha so im a little torn
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by Hirschberger
I'm not sure though because im willing to spend money, but i love all 3 amps haha so im a little torn

perfectly understandable. Its only natural. If you can go out and try those amps try them.

Edit: Forgot to say what i preferred over the nitro to my mark IV. the gain channel wasnt as compressed as the lead was on my mark IV. The Mark V is similarly voiced but that as compressed thanks to the new knobs and switches. its still a little none the less.
Last edited by mexican_shred at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by mexican_shred
perfectly understandable. Its only natural. If you can go out and try those amps try them.

Well um i play the mesa at my friends house every day and holy **** i love it

Ive played on both a JCM800 100 Watt One Channel and 50 Watt 2-channel. The one channel i couldnt really crank as that **** was ear-splitting at 9 o'clock id have to get an attenuator. The 2 channel was pretty cool, but i think the Mesa and splawn tops it, however, it is cheaper and still kicks ass.

There is no way for me to really try a splawn :-P
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by Hirschberger
Well um i play the mesa at my friends house every day and holy **** i love it

Ive played on both a JCM800 100 Watt One Channel and 50 Watt 2-channel. The one channel i couldnt really crank as that **** was ear-splitting at 9 o'clock id have to get an attenuator. The 2 channel was pretty cool, but i think the Mesa and splawn tops it, however, it is cheaper and still kicks ass.

There is no way for me to really try a splawn :-P

Even though you're in LA O.o?!

If you been playing the mesa, you should know its ear splitting loud too. Even in its 10 watt class a mode i cant get it past 3 without needed to put some ear phones on. But luckily you dont need an attenuator to get a good sound of it.
Mesa wasn't that loud for me haha I'm odd like that
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
I would suggest a Quickrod as well. It is voiced very similarly to the Nitro. The QRods are slightly less in cost and there are more of them. I would think you could find one in LA. Anyway, if you get past my playing I have a few Clean Channel Clips in my profile. Not as good as Mesa and Fender I agree but very passable. These were recorded rather loud and I couldn't dial out all the clipping.
I'm just concerned about the versatility of the splawn

I know it has great crunch, but I'm not sure it has the cleans and lower gain stuff I need
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
I'd rule out the Splawn if I were you. Then it just comes down to which amp you like better tonewise and versatilitywise. The JCM800 can cover pretty much everything, although it's mainly used by metal guitarists. I'm not sure about the Mesa but I've heard that it's extremely versatile.
the cleans on the nitro turned out to be like i said very nice. Try you tubing some clips of the clean channel on it. They give you a small idea of what its like
It's a bit of a rough patch comparing those three, since they're all completely different beasts.

As much as I love the Nitro, I'd go with a single channel 800 and use a well-arranged pedalboard for versatility.

Of course, I'm heavily biased.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
It's a bit of a rough patch comparing those three, since they're all completely different beasts.

As much as I love the Nitro, I'd go with a single channel 800 and use a well-arranged pedalboard for versatility.

Of course, I'm heavily biased.

Yea this is the case. all three amps are great to choose from.

if you choose a jcm 800, i'd go for the single channel. Something about them just sounds way more different than the dual channel. Just use that detox eq as a clean boost/take edge off or an od to push the sucker if you go this route

Mesa route- not really much else need with the mark V
I'd love to get the Marshall im just wondering if getting all of the pedals and attenuators is worth it, it seems like it would end up being as expensive as a mesa, right?
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by Hirschberger
I'd love to get the Marshall im just wondering if getting all of the pedals and attenuators is worth it, it seems like it would end up being as expensive as a mesa, right?

Perhaps, but the rig has a different sound than a Mesa.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I would go for the Splawn. It has the best sound and build quality available, you can choose tolex, piping, power tubes, ect. Not to mention I would rather give my money to Scott than anybody, great guy.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
with a jcm800 you dont need any extra pedals to go from blues to metal(other than an od but even without it gets heavy as ****)

none of your choices are bluesy amps. if you really need the versatility of having decent cleans, get the mark v
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
I don't see how you guys are saying the Splawn isn't versital. It seems like it covers everything pretty well to me, and the clean channel is pretty decent.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
ENGL Blackmore
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
First of all, thanks for all of your help.

so ive pretty much ruled out the JCM800 i guess, but i still havent made up my mind

this is a tough decision that i really dont wanna rush into
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by classicrocker01
I don't see how you guys are saying the Splawn isn't versital. It seems like it covers everything pretty well to me, and the clean channel is pretty decent.

exactly.

honestly its up to how you like the tones of each. the Mark V has an aggressive tight lead channel that sometimes can sound compressed

While the splawn has a full heavy open sound. Maybe not as tight but its just as aggressive. Not compressed like the mark V
Quote by mexican_shred
exactly.

honestly its up to how you like the tones of each. the Mark V has an aggressive tight lead channel that sometimes can sound compressed

While the splawn has a full heavy open sound. Maybe not as tight but its just as aggressive. Not compressed like the mark V

What do you mean by compressed?
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
I think he means your tone can get robbed a bit which is true I think in any amp that provides real nice tight chug for example. In order to get that tight chug the amp is going to take the incoming signal and try to condense all the frequencies and give them the same 'volume' treatment so it sounds nice and crunchy.

As opposed to a Splawn or similar Marshall (older ones) which will pass the tones and frequencies through better but may not be as tight. Keep in mind I've never played a Nitro but the clips I've heard from Erock and the Tube sound plenty tight to me and Sick as hell. Quick Rod may be another amp to consider. That I do own. I'm also not an expert on this stuff so if I missed the mark on that someone please internet slap me. No pun inteneded.

Never played a Mark V either but I did play a Dual Rec and Lonestar next to a Slash Sig Plexi/800 and a JMP and I could definitly hear the differences.

I copied this forum response from Splawn forum recently so I'll share here for you. If you are truely interested in a Splawn I highly suggest you visit their site and read what others have said. Maybe even join and ask your question. I find most all of those guys to be very knowledgeable and UNBIASED (like me). They will shoot you strait and many own Mesa's too.

If I already didn't mention it, use the link in my sig to find gear too. A new Splawn is probably at least a 4 month wait.

from splawn site
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, in spite of needing a new head box, I have been able to spend a little time with my early model Quickrod today and.....HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP!!!!!!!!!!! I can't stop playing long enough to tweak the knobs!!! I'll be good to go with a new head box. I don't even think I need tubes right now. This thing smokes anything I've ever played. I had a Mesa rack setup with a studio preamp and a 395 monster power amp running into a 4x12 and this Quickrod would eat it for breakfast and then burp and say, "is that all?" WOOHOO!!!!! I won't even compare it to the Mark III I traded for it. Not worth the time. I am completely and totally sold and trying not to pee on myself.
Once again guys, thanks for you help.

I think i have come to a decision. I think Im going to go with the Quickrod, just because the nitro seems more modern based, whereas the quickrod has that brown sound thing i really dig. Seems able to do everything i need from watching demos.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby

Well, if you need some more support on this PM Erock, MatrixClaw or MESAExplorer. They have all owned Quick Rods and Mesa's and Erock503? owned a Nitro too. I think you will be happy. Buying a Splawn used is quicker but you don't get the lifetime warranty. It is NOT transferable. New you wait 4 months but get the warranty and your choice of headbox color/style.

Personally, the quality is so obvious and inherent that you really don't need to worry about a warranty. Trust me. Read up on Scott Splawns website and also ask some of the users there. They know. Plus you can get a used Splawn in the $800- $1500 range and their Cabs Kick Serious Ass Too.!

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Well, if you need some more support on this PM Erock, MatrixClaw or MESAExplorer. They have all owned Quick Rods and Mesa's and Erock503? owned a Nitro too. I think you will be happy. Buying a Splawn used is quicker but you don't get the lifetime warranty. It is NOT transferable. New you wait 4 months but get the warranty and your choice of headbox color/style.

Personally, the quality is so obvious and inherent that you really don't need to worry about a warranty. Trust me. Read up on Scott Splawns website and also ask some of the users there. They know. Plus you can get a used Splawn in the $800- $1500 range and their Cabs Kick Serious Ass Too.!

Thanks for all your help dude

I think im going to get it new as, even though i know Splawn's stuff is of good quality, being the nervous compulsive guy I am has to feel safe with a warantee. I also wanna customize it out and dont mind paying more for it (its cheaper than the mesa anyway, my friend bought a Mark V with a 4x12 cab, turned out to be $3200 )
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
OK dude. Well, I gave you some other regular UG's that you can PM for second opinion. Eric, Derek, and MESAx will all shoot you strait. I dig the whole picking your head shell and power tubes anyway.

Once you read up over there I think you will be sold. They may not have the greatest sustain or pedal happiness but they are some kick ass amps. Period.