Hi All,

I've been struggling with this for a while so would be grateful for any help.

Basically when I use my Marshall compressor pedal with a distortion pedal such as my Boss MT-2 I get a huge amount of excess guitar noise which is really annoying!!! It's perfectly fine when its just the compressor and a clean amp, actually it sounds amazing to be honest, but as soon as I put the distortion on it goes crazy. Argghhhhh!!! Please help!

Cheers.
well of course the compressor is going to add some noise, it evens out the output level whether you play or not. do you have the compressor before or after the distortion? putting it before the distortion reduces the additional noise a bit.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
well of course the compressor is going to add some noise, it evens out the output level whether you play or not. do you have the compressor before or after the distortion? putting it before the distortion reduces the additional noise a bit.

bingo! think of it as feeding a steady signal into your distortion... but the other way around simply crushes your distorted signal (not pretty, and only useful for REALLY noisy music). Does your compressor have a threshold knob? if so, raise it... and try uping the ratio as well (ie. 10:1 instead of 4:1). this will compress less of your signal, but by a greater amount (more or less), and should help with noise without sacrificing the function of your compressor. a noise gate would help too.
Cheers,
tho i seem to get more noise putting it before!!!
I have a Boss NS-2 noise supressor, where would be the best place to put it???
The Compressor pedal has emphasis, volume, attack and compression
Quote by philm87
Cheers,
tho i seem to get more noise putting it before!!!
I have a Boss NS-2 noise supressor, where would be the best place to put it???
The Compressor pedal has emphasis, volume, attack and compression

"volume" controls the level of the already-compressed signal (last thing inside the pedal) much like a secondary gain stage. "attack" is what gives yor compressor the breathing feel... it should be adjusted to tempo in order to decay properly with a given song. "compression" is probably the ratio control, and "emphasis" i'm not familiar with.

put the noise gate after pedals that give you noise if you frontload it (usually this means put it last). if you run it in a loop, it'll kill the amp noise, but your frontloaded pedals will still contribute a healthy percentage of their non-gated noise. if you choose to frontload the gate, it'll clean up your pedal noise and prevent feeback, but will do nothing to clean up amp noise.

EDIT: one last thing... alot of people insist on cranking the gain knob all the way up... experiment with tones with less gain and see if you can't get what you're after without such a huge signal. this will improve your noise issues as well.
Last edited by GrisKy at Jul 20, 2009,