Hiya. I was hanging around with my friend last night and we thought it's about time we start the build that we've been wanting to do for so long. We wanted to do an original design that was still classic looking, so I came up with the idea for a double cut Telecaster. I did a little mockup of what it might look like in Flash.

(No tuners or strings...)

I have a few questions regarding this build though. We are looking to stay cheap, so naturally I suggested we look at GFS hardware. A few question on their stuff...

First off, we are going to buy a pre-made bolt on neck. Does anyone have experience with the Guitar Fetish necks? I know it isn't going to be the best quality, but we're just looking for a straight, solid neck. For cheap. This is the one I'm considering http://store.guitarfetish.com/testnemasafi.html

The other hardware we'd be ordering from them is a bridge and tuners. For the bridge we decided on a wrap-around for ease, and this one caught my eye because it is intonatable. http://store.guitarfetish.com/blbastinwrbr.html
Once again, anyone have experience with this bridge?

Now for tuners. Basically, we just want a solid black tuner. Preferably 18:1. If anyone has suggestions for some tuners under $30 that'd be great.

And now pickups. We were originally planning on putting the Gibson
humbuckers(496R and 500T) that I took out of my explorer in. Now I'm thinking of selling those and putting in some GFS single coils, or maybe a GFS 'bucker in the bridge with a single in the neck. Any suggestions on pickups?

Lastly, we're on to wood. My father is a professional carpenter, and he will be making the body for us. The type of wood we use depends on whether or not we decide to go with the Gibson humbuckers. If we do, we'll just stick with plain old mahogany. If we decide to go the single coil route, I'm not sure... probably Alder or Basswood for affordability. What kind of wood would you suggest for the body? Keep in mind we're looking to stay pretty cheap. Around $50 for the body blank would be ideal, but that is probably unrealistic... What are some good places to order body blanks?

I think that pretty much covers all of my questions. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thank you for your time, and sorry for the wall of text.

EDIT:
Newer mockup

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Last edited by Checker at Jul 20, 2009,
i wouldn't use guitar fetish pickups keep the Gibson ones and go with a mahogany body

if you can afford it i wouldn't use guitar fetish hardware either you get what you pay for i guess
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
I have heard very mixed reviews on GFS hardware. Its kinda a hit and miss thing.

Its not the best hardware around, hence the cheap price...
Some people who have used GFS bridges and tuners say that they don't hold tune very well and one person had the experience of a bridge pretty much crumbling on them.

Now others say that the hardware is fine and good for a cheap build.

I wouldn't go with a GFS neck either. They may be cheaper but in the long run, its cheaper not to buy from them as you run the risk of getting a warped neck or a badly set up neck. Which means you've wasted how ever much a GFS neck is. I would suggest a neck from somewhere like mighty mite or warmoth.

For the pickups, GFS are good when your on a budget. There not so much the best upgrade, but depending on what tone you like can be better than the gibsons.
Keep in mind they do have a return policy, so if the neck is warped, you can send it back.

Personally I would go for the GFS neck.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Any suggestions on where to get a cheap neck then? Doesn't have to be top notch by any means. Less than $75 would be ideal.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
And about those Eden necks... Are these what you're talking about? http://www.edenguitarparts.com/product_display.php?classId=413
I'm curious as to why you say off of ebay when it seems you can order straight from their website. They have some in my ideal price range, and it seems to be what I'm looking for. Can you confirm the the Eden "J" and "A" range is quality? Those are the ones in my price range.
Can anyone else confirm good experience with Eden necks?

This one has my attention. http://www.edenguitarparts.com/product_end.php?id=10552

Thanks for your help, customisbetter.

EDIT: Actually, quite a few of their necks look very ideal for me, I'm especially interested in the paddle ones. If anyone could confirm their quality I'd be very grateful.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/

back when i got my eden neck i don't think they had a website. THey a re solid necks. no sharp frets but you may want to do minor polishing of hte frets. THis is optional though as a days worth of playing will typically do the polishing job for you.
Quote by customisbetter

back when i got my eden neck i don't think they had a website. THey a re solid necks. no sharp frets but you may want to do minor polishing of hte frets. THis is optional though as a days worth of playing will typically do the polishing job for you.

But you're happy with yours? I was planning on having to do some work on whatever neck I bought, so that's not a problem.

The new plan is looking like this:

Alder Body - Hot Rod Red
Eden 22 fret Maple neck
GFS Tele Neck Pickup(Not decided on which)
GFS Vintage '59 Humbucker Bridge Pickup(Is this a Duncan '59 clone?)
Stew Mac Adjustable Wrap-Around Bridge
White or Mint Pickguard
Still undecided on tuners

If I could get any more opinions on Eden necks that would be great. Not that I don't trust you, customisbetter.

As far as controls, I'm gonna do a stacked potentiometer to control both pickups' volume independently, with a master tone knob. How's it all sound? Think it'll make a good first build?

I'm going to visit my girlfriend in Oregon on Tuesday, so you won't see any progress for a while. When/if I get anything done I'll bump the thread and try to get a mod to change the title to "Current Build." In the mean time further suggestions, ideas, opinions on color schemes, designs, whatever... feel free to say anything. What do y'all think of the mockup? In terms of how you think the guitar would look finsished... The hardware will be chrome on the final product keep in mind.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: And another question, what's the return policy on Eden necks? their website is timing out so I can't check it myself...

And I still need some sources for some body blanks. Around $50 would be best. Alder or Basswood. And some suggestions for decent, cheap, 18:1 tuners. Thankee.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
i don't know about their return policy as i never used it. There is a "Contact us" form on their page, and im sure you can use that if you have any problems.

guitar heads has some nice Grover copies...
http://guitarheads.net/products/tuners/wilkinsonmini6.html

the mini have a lower ratio than the 3x3s... They won't be as fine tuning but still better than most stock tuners.
Like the shape. Sort of like the old Epiphone Wilshire/Coronet/Crestwood/Olympic shape, but more fenderish. Is your plan to have the upper horn smaller than the lower? Nice.

Mint pickguard sounds nice nice nice. Warmoth can make you a very nice one routed to your specs, and they have the mint/black/mint, which looks very sharp indeed.

I'll be watching this one keenly...

Good luck! Very cool ideas.
Quote by artie fisk
Like the shape. Sort of like the old Epiphone Wilshire/Coronet/Crestwood/Olympic shape, but more fenderish. Is your plan to have the upper horn smaller than the lower? Nice.

Mint pickguard sounds nice nice nice. Warmoth can make you a very nice one routed to your specs, and they have the mint/black/mint, which looks very sharp indeed.

I'll be watching this one keenly...

Good luck! Very cool ideas.

Thanks.

I'm actually planning to have the horns pretty symmetrical. I pretty much just traced the bottom half of a telecaster, flipped it vertically, and stuck 'em together. I've always loved double cut les pauls, so I figured I'd apply the same logic to Fender's single cut guitar.

Funny that you mention Wilshire's. I've always loved the look of 'em, but I wasn't thinking about it at all when I came up with the shape. You're right though, they do look similar.

I'm probably just going to order a mint pickguard blank and route it myself. Hopefully I can save a little money that way.

I've decided on chrome hardware instead of black.

I'm still looking for some more opinions on those Eden necks. I read a few reviews and they seem to be pretty mixed. Same with the GFS necks. So if anyone could help me find a good, affordable neck I'll be forever in your debt. I know you did, customisbetter, but I'm still waiting on some more opinions. Don't take it personally.

I know I don't have anything to show yet; but keep the comments, suggestions, and advice comin'!

And I may have something special to show you by the end of the day... Suspense...

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Hmm, your design is sorta similar to what I built. Except I just messed around in AutoCAD until I had a design that looked like a guitar. Mine is a bit bigger body I think.
My guitar build

My gear:
Blackheart Little Giant Combo
Epiphone Les Paul with Rio Grande TX/BBQ pickup set
Little Big Muff
Blues Driver
Awww man. AND it's a semi-hollow... very discouraging...

The hardware and pickguard should set mine apart though... His doesn't look as Tele like because of the pickguard and knob placement... Maybe I should do the telecaster metal control plate to make it look even more telecaster like.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/

Definitely doing it like this...
Except I'll have a chrome covered tele neck pickup instead of the 'bucker.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by customisbetter
i would use 500K ohm pots too. you dont want that humbucker sounding dull and bassy.

Good point. The '59 is a really warm pickup to begin with, which is why I chose it for the alder body, but I should definitely use a 500k. My plan is to used a 250k/500k stacked concentric pot for the volume control, so the single coil can have a 250k volume pot, and the humbucker a 500k. The tone control would just be 500k. Would this work? Or am I misunderstanding how stacked pots function?

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by customisbetter
can you get those?
If so, awesome.

I searched it on google and there seemed to be a couple... I'm not sure where the hell I'm going to find one though...

Here's one that says so, but it looks kind of sketchy... http://www.musicpartsplus.com/Pots/Concentric-Stacked/500k250k/500k250K-Stacked-Concentric-p7141106.html

EDIT: And here is another on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/CTS-250K%2F500K-Stacked-Concentric-Pot_W0QQitemZ310150755023QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090623?IMSfp=TL090623154004r24700
So they're out there, but seem like they might be hard to find.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
I'm wondering about the Eden necks too. I'm doing exactly what the TS is doing except I'm repainting my SX Tele and such and I was going to get GF hardware but I don't think I will now.

EDIT: How is Guitarhead's other stuff?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jul 20, 2009,
I emailed Kurt about trying to purchase the neck and tuners as on my Agile TC-730 by themselves... He said he couldn't though.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Sometimes a few of the cheap SX ones but that's it. I love the neck on my Agile and the tuners are just what I'm looking for... 6 in line Grovers with an 18:1 ratio...

I know I could just by the Grovers, but I was hoping Kurt would give me a neck+tuner deal at a better price.

Actually, after this build my friend and I are gonna try a fretless bass build, and Kurt usually seems to have fretless bass necks in stock. Probably not the best, but my friend has been playing on a starter Ibanez the last four years. He deserves a new bass, even if it isn't quite an upgrade.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by Checker
Sometimes a few of the cheap SX ones but that's it. I love the neck on my Agile and the tuners are just what I'm looking for... 6 in line Grovers with an 18:1 ratio...

I know I could just by the Grovers, but I was hoping Kurt would give me a neck+tuner deal at a better price.

Actually, after this build my friend and I are gonna try a fretless bass build, and Kurt usually seems to have fretless bass necks in stock. Probably not the best, but my friend has been playing on a starter Ibanez the last four years. He deserves a new bass, even if it isn't quite an upgrade.

Defret his Ibanez and buy a better bass. I have a GSR200 that I'm defretting soon.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
tele dc's aren't common but they are out there... there's another build on this forum of a tele dc
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology