So I've just started getting a new band together. I have a **** hot drummer, a brilliant guitarist and I'm the singer. The problem is we don't have a bassist and none of the bassists I know are available at the moment.

I can play bass but I can't sing and play so our plan is for us to write the songs without vocals at practices then record it all at my house and add vocals when the instruments are done. The reasoning behind it being the recordings can be put online to build hype about us, help advertise for bassists who aren't sure what we'll sound like and give us some material for when/if we start getting gigs

does this sound like a good idea or are there any better plans out there?
Technically, I invented sound

Quote by ckellingc
It's posts like this that make me wish I could post a picture of a vagina.
As an interim solution, yes. But learning to play and sing really isn't that hard, just start slow and then once you know it start with putting the vocals over it. It's an easy solution to a problem that is a pain.

I mean, drummers sing and play, bass can't be too difficult? I have coordination problems and I can play and sing on drums and bass, and I'm an idiot
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Last edited by druggietoad2k5 at Jul 20, 2009,
But learning to play and sing really isn't that hard, just start slow and then once you know it start with putting the vocals over it

Yeah that's true but I prefer having the freedom of just having a mic in my hand, so I'd rather find an actual bassist, plus I'll be playing synth/keys and rhythm guitar on any songs that might need it (if there are any).
Technically, I invented sound

Quote by ckellingc
It's posts like this that make me wish I could post a picture of a vagina.
That's a totally good solution.

Look at it from a potential basist's point of view: Here's one band who says they have a bunch of songs, but I can't hear them because they don't have a demo. Here's another band with a really strong demo, or even a CD that is done and ready to start gigging and really working their product as soon as they have a bass player. Which one of those projects carries more credibility to you?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.