I was thinking today that whenever I play a song that requires a lot of chord work I usually opt to use a lighter, bigger pick. Yet, when I am playing something that requires more "riffing" I usually reach for a jazz III.

I was curious if anyone else had preferences like this in equipment, whether it be pick choice or different playing techniques when going between different styles.
Nah, I don't.

I modify the settings on amplifiers and effects from time-to-time, though I don't change actual equipment for specific genres.

I use either an acoustic or an electric depending on the genre and song, however.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
no, i might switch to a different guitar i have my standard rig but occasionally i might open the cupboard and pull out a specific effect that i don`t have in my standard rig when i want to add something to the tune i`m playing/writing.

when i`m teaching i either use the les paul or js1200 or the martin `cos the inlays on the Jem and Eurphoria confuse students.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jul 20, 2009,
ill just change the effect patch im using at the moment; i love zoom for that. otherwise i understand hgow certain guitars suit certain songs be it tone; playability or gain; i even have specific picks for each guitar .
Of course. Not all guitars are built for the same purpose. I have a jazz guitar and amp, and a rock guitar and amp.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
I like to use my guitar with a fixed bridge when I am first learning songs or practicing scales or patterns.

I use my Ibanez with a floating trem with Evo PU's for all lead stuff and when I am actually playing something and not just praticing.
i don't really switch gear. i might use a different guitar to get a slightly different tone but all my guitars are more or less the same things with different pickups in them.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Broadly speaking no, I find that with a relatively flat EQ, a responsive amp and a versatile guitar you can get a startlingly wide variety of tones without really changing anything outside of the volume, tone, pickup selection and channel on the amp.

The only thing I change is the pick I use when moving to an acoustic, I use a lighter pick as I find that the thicker less flexible ones make the sound a bit flabby and chord work is less defined.

Guitar changes are mainly for tuning reasons more than anything else.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Broadly speaking no, I find that with a relatively flat EQ, a responsive amp and a versatile guitar you can get a startlingly wide variety of tones without really changing anything outside of the volume, tone, pickup selection and channel on the amp.

The only thing I change is the pick I use when moving to an acoustic, I use a lighter pick as I find that the thicker less flexible ones make the sound a bit flabby and chord work is less defined.

Guitar changes are mainly for tuning reasons more than anything else.

yea this is very true. and sometimes i just impose my will on whatever i'm playing over just to do it and see if it comes out ok. sometimes it's disastrous, but it's a learning experience hehe.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
i have two guitars, and recently changed strings on one so i could tune to C standard.
i also have a mountain of picks to choose from, none of which two are the same.
sometimes, though very rarely, i change my guitar's action so suit what i'm playing.

so yeah, i'd say i adapt my gear to what i'm doing.

i like versatile amps, too.
Well I have different guitars set to different tunings so obviously I change guitar depending on the tuning of the song, but other than that not at all. I use the same pick all the time, the yellow jim dunlop ones. Same amp and same pedals.
Also to add to what I was saying earlier: one of the biggest things you can change about your tone is the way you play, even without changing anything else with a good amp and a decent guitar you can change a large part of your sound by just adjusting the actual physical way you're attacking the guitar.

Try it, it's a good exercise in control as much as anything else.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
My rig is a guitar an amp and a wah pedal, I use the same everything all of the time. I only change the volume and channel. If I had 2 electrics it would be different
i dont really believe in changing picks, but i do change some other things. i may change guitars depending on the tone i want. i change pickup selections quite a bit for different things. but i try to change tonality with what ive got more than switching out gear. i may turn off or on something but thats not really changing gear. that being said, i dont really have a lot of gear to switch between so that may change in the future. the only thing i really change would be guitars (sometimes), pick to fingers, and sometimes the channel on my amp. nothing to fancy.