Hey folks,

So long story short: I've been learning the guitar for about a year now (not as focused as I would like however on average putting in 3 hours a week or so). At this point I'm fairly comfortable with most of my open chords, barre chords are a bit of a challenge getting a reliable tone, some bending a hopo's are ok. I've been playing things like the Beatles, a little bit of chili peppers, Byrds/Zombies, Blink/Green day etc.

But I didn't get into this to play others' music. I've been writing lately and want to move forward, obviously that means music theory. But I haven't the foggiest clue where to start. I have a vague idea about note placement on the fretboard (but I can never remember which note doesn't have a sharp), and that's about it.

So can anyone point me in the direction I want to go and what I should focus on learning first? I've tried going through the UG lessons, but apparently have missed the basics somewhere.... :/

thanks in advance
My Gear:

Guitar #1: 1997 Fender MIM Strat
Guitar #2: 2007 Epi SG (G-310)

Effects: Roland DS-1 Distortion (for switching in distortion quickly, NOT cause I want a "l33t brootalz tonz!")
Amp: Roland Microcube
well umm............you could learn the note placement.
then type go here >>http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=the+crusade&w=columns < that is very very very useful

but dont listen to me, i give bad advice
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Well you can do the chords but can you pick?

I think you should learn how to alternate pick, as for theory part look for the crusade articles on the site
George Bernard Shaw

Hell is full of musical amateurs.
Notes of the neck and the major scale. Learn the major scale in terms of notes and intervals, not just what it looks like on the fretboard. That will set you up for learning any other scales you might want to, plus it will teach you about intervals, and leads on to harmonising scales and chord construction.

Check out Freepower's bitesize theory videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FreepowerUG

And the music theory FAQ
[thread]503032[/thread]
Quote by BMGfan
Hey folks,

So long story short: I've been learning the guitar for about a year now (not as focused as I would like however on average putting in 3 hours a week or so). At this point I'm fairly comfortable with most of my open chords, barre chords are a bit of a challenge getting a reliable tone, some bending a hopo's are ok. I've been playing things like the Beatles, a little bit of chili peppers, Byrds/Zombies, Blink/Green day etc.

But I didn't get into this to play others' music. I've been writing lately and want to move forward, obviously that means music theory. But I haven't the foggiest clue where to start. I have a vague idea about note placement on the fretboard (but I can never remember which note doesn't have a sharp), and that's about it.

So can anyone point me in the direction I want to go and what I should focus on learning first? I've tried going through the UG lessons, but apparently have missed the basics somewhere.... :/

thanks in advance

If you are financially capable, I would suggest looking for a teacher to guide you.

If not, refer to the stickies (the pinned posts at the top of the forum) and keep an open mind.
I'd started with some basic understanding of the music that I was playing. For instance, I googled "minor blues" found a few tunes and compared them with major blues and seeing what the difference was.

That would be a great first step.