Poll: Do you know the name of the tuning?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you know the name of the tuning?
Yes-If yes, please tell me
9 53%
No
8 47%
Voters: 17.
hey guys and girls of UG

i need to find out a way to tune my guitar to: C# G# C# F C# C# to play the song God Put A Smile Upon Your Face by Coldplay. Ive looked all over the internet but i cant find anything?

thanks very much! guitars4jacob
I'm pretty sure that they were inspired to use that tuning after checking out a fairly underground album called 'Is There Love In Space?'

Check it out for more info
tune your 6th string so that it sounds like your 4th string, but lower. Then just go down another half step for each string.
Quote by Jaymz_515
I pretend I'm a huge spider laying eggs, then when I flush the toilet I fall to floor screaming "MY CHILLLDRENN!! NOOOO!"

If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by tyler_j
I'm pretty sure that they were inspired to use that tuning after checking out a fairly underground album called 'Is There Love In Space?'

This is a true story.
hey! im not here for any "coldplay stole this" and "coldplay stold that" they didnt steal anything. all im here for is to tune my guitar to C# G# C# F C# C#
Quote by eric12321
Guys there are 4 C#'s there. >_>

the question is, how many did they steal?
Quote by guitars4jacob
hey! im not here for any "coldplay stole this" and "coldplay stold that" they didnt steal anything. all im here for is to tune my guitar to C# G# C# F C# C#

Show your working for full marks
Quote by guitars4jacob
work for full marks?

in other words;
how the hell did you reach this conclusion?
Quote by guitars4jacob
look, i just want to know how to tune my guitar to this tuning so i can finish this song!

good to hear

use your tuner
Last edited by tyler_j at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by Ali-b912
guys, dont make fun of the special kids, you'll hurt their feelings.

hey! that better not be sarcastic
Quote by guitars4jacob
hey! that better not be sarcastic

*facepalm*
Anyone else think of that scene in school of rock where Sarah Silverman is like "Oh God, he's an idiot!"
Quote by Ali-b912
Anyone else think of that scene in school of rock where Sarah Silverman is like "Oh God, he's an idiot!"

Actually, yes.
Yes I did.

I also thought of that scene where a 10 year old kid doesn't know how to use a tuner..
u guys r absolute loser. get a bloody life, not by teasing a 10 yr old boy (me). i no next time i wont go on UG for any help.
Quote by guitars4jacob
u guys r absolute loser. get a bloody life, not by teasing a 10 yr old boy (me). i no next time i wont go on UG for any help.
If you really are ten years old you shouldn't be on UG anyway

And how to use a tuner is pretty common knowledge. There's probably a booklet that came with the thing that tells you how. You shouldn't need to ask UG
Quote by tyler_j

You're a funny guy. Is that tuning like new standard tuning up a half step or something?
it came with my guitar, no booklet for it. I know how to tune my guitar standard, half step down etc. i just dont know this tuning! im going to delete this forum post anyway
Step one: play a string
Step two: move the machine head until the tuner says you have the right note
Step three: repeat steps one through two for each string
...I like metal.
So just to clarify. Those top two strings you want tuned an octave apart? Or to the same note?
"I love music, it's not like math. In music, 2+2 can equal 5, if it's a pretty enough 5." -Samuel R. Hazo

"Alle menschen werden bruder- all men become brothers"
-Ludwig Van Beethoven, from his 9th Symphony.

-John
actually in an interview I read coldplay said that they weren't even original infact they're "very good plagarists"
Quote by guitars4jacob
hey guys and girls of UG

i need to find out a way to tune my guitar to: C# G# C# F C# C# to play the song God Put A Smile Upon Your Face by Coldplay. Ive looked all over the internet but i cant find anything?

thanks very much! guitars4jacob

tune the e down 3 semi tones
tune the b down 1 semi tone
tune the g down a tone
tune the d down a semi tone
tune the a down a semi tone
Quote by guitars4jacob

Did you really expect to get a straight answer from UG anyway?
my god, most of you guys are being absolute douche bags.
still, there is some relevant information in this thread TS
in particular:

Quote by Anesthetica
tune the g down a tone

if you cannot understand that particular musical terminology, I suggest you get a music teacher of some sort

also, the coldplay jokes are REALLY ****ing lame now, so please stop.
Way to go guys. Hope you all feel great about being all macho on the internet. So he can't use a tuner? I wouldn't be surprised if you guys needed help the first time you used it or the first time you tried to tune to an alternate tuning like this.

tyler_i, this is Musician Talk, not the pit. People do get straight answers here. So stick to that or gtfo.
Guys, seriously. The first one was funny, the rest just got very, very, dull.

More to the point, if you have a "chromatic tuner" - one that shows every note (not just EADGBe), then you tune your low E down to a C#, your A string down to a G#, the D down to C#, the G down to F, the B up to C#, and the high E string down to C#.

That's the tuning C# G# C# F C# C#.

If you don't have a chromatic tuner, then you'll find things a lot trickier, depending on how well you can tune by ear. I would suggest tuning to a piano or keyboard.

And finally, I must apologise for the way you've been treated so far on the forums and then ban you as you are not allowed to be on these forums until the age of 13. Sorry.
Quote by Anesthetica
tune the g down a tone

to do this with a tuner that only has EADGBe hold the fret number of the amount of semitones you want to go down - then tune the string to what it would normally be.

E.G to get a c# on the low E hold 3rd fret and then tune that till it says an E on the tuner.

I would watch out though - you strings will be very loose afterwards and liable to snap if you try to tune back to standard tuning.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more