Now let me explian this as best I can, the pick ups, have all the volume they should, but they are staying to clean on my firends peavy windsor amp, like its almost impossible to break them up. So why is it doing that? we dropped the TOM and raised humbuckers closer to the strings. so the humbucker is close to the string. But here is the thing, he didn't get the wire for his 85 so he leaves the switch on for just the 81 (Its a Les Paul 100 fyi) and its only got a little buz to it, but I assume its where I don't have the 85 hooked up. ANyways, whats the problems yall? I think tis not having the 85 hooked up is the problem. ANyways thanks guys.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gretsch Electromatic 5120
Amp
Crate V33H head w/ Berhinger B412S
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is my pet bunny. Will you play with my bunny?
(")_(")
Last edited by LesPaulCowboy at Jul 20, 2009,
The Windsor is supposed to be a clean amp. Did you try turning the volume on both the guitar and amp up?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
having only one wired would not make a difference...
I do not get the problem, the pick-ups are playing fine, just not distorted.
Now the person above has said the peavey amp does not have anything but a clean setting and EMGs are not supposed to be anything but clean unless you have some kind of overdrive/distortion/gain facility on your amp/pedal.
Well I figured it was spouse to be used with a OD or something, but okay, and I liekt hem enough I may get a set for the lp. but thanks guys.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gretsch Electromatic 5120
Amp
Crate V33H head w/ Berhinger B412S
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is my pet bunny. Will you play with my bunny?
(")_(")
Quote by heavenishell
thats EMG's for you

yeah EMG's suck an ass load for disortion. they never distort as much as some brutal passives like Dimarzio super distortion. They can't even break up a bit. That's why you don't see ANY metal guitarists using EMG's. because they suck for metal. They're good for nothing pieces of crap.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
^Do I detect a note of sarcasm?

Quote by bv310
^Do I detect a note of sarcasm?

Nope. i'm not being sarcastic at all. I would never be sarcastic because sarcasm doesn't relay messages well obviously. EMG's suck, which is why I would never dare use them.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
They really are quite bland. No soul whatsoever.

Quote by bv310
They really are quite bland. No soul whatsoever.

eh? Holy ****. you got me. i'm stumped..
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I don't enjoy the tone of EMGs. To me, there's no "soul" to them. They're great for metal, but a lot of metal sounds similar to me.

Not being sarcastic here.

Quote by bv310
I don't enjoy the tone of EMGs. To me, there's no "soul" to them. They're great for metal, but a lot of metal sounds similar to me.

Not being sarcastic here.

Meh. i can understand why. I feel the same way about my EMG's sometimes. I just use them because no pickup has the same amount of gain as EMG's. I have them at 18v, which improves the tonal characteristic in the cleans a bit, but still, passives are better. That being said, I think EMG's at 9v have better headroom than any other super hot passive that I have tried (JB, H4, D activator x, dimebucker, invader, super distortion, and some more, can't think of any.), but still sound "sterile." Makes all music sound same, but nobody uses Mesa DC's so i'm good.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Ouch.

Apak, I completely agree on the headroom thing. That's the tradeoff with EMGs, though.

Quote by blandguitar
**** you brock

LOL It took me like 5 minutes to understand that.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
LOL It took me like 5 minutes to understand that.

its my last name.

TS, all EMGs are is a underwrapped pup with a preamps to compensate for volume. they dont come distorted.
my main guitar has EMGs and I love metal / hard rock etc and they are great for that but if i get another guitar i would not get EMGs in it because...
they're so damn powerful they pretty much take any tonal quality of the guitar out of the equation - you could have a £2,000 gibson and a £150 encore, which would sound pretty much the same through EMGs, though with regular pickups the wood quality / solidity of build would really shine through

Thats what i think people mean when they call EMGs 'soulless'...
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
Quote by PuppetMaster91
my main guitar has EMGs and I love metal / hard rock etc and they are great for that but if i get another guitar i would not get EMGs in it because...
they're so damn powerful they pretty much take any tonal quality of the guitar out of the equation - you could have a £2,000 gibson and a £150 encore, which would sound pretty much the same through EMGs, though with regular pickups the wood quality / solidity of build would really shine through

Thats what i think people mean when they call EMGs 'soulless'...

hm strange. i heard the same thing, but when i play out of a les paul, it sounds completely different than in my RR5. But i understand what you mean. A lot of les paul guys don't like emg's because they kinda suppress the tone of the heavy-ass mahogany body.

And you don't buy a guitar only because it sounds good. That's only half of the equation. You gotta like the guitar. Even if you sound the same as every other guy, you have to like the neck, the body shape, aesthetics, weight, etc.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Dio10101
Dimarzio INF pickups are probably the best passive pickups out there, but there are lots of better pickups.

I seriously hope you're joking.
There's no such thing as a best pickup, active or passive. It depends too much on preference and genre.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay