I have a Triple X 212 with JJ EL-34's which have been running in the amp for a little over a year, I recently noticed that only 3 of the 4 power tubes glow blue anymore, and the one only has the typical orange/red glow, I had never noticed this before. I know that a Blue glow is normal, but shouldn't all the tubes glow at the same rate? Everything seems to be working as expected, the amp still sounds good and operates normally, I just figured that a matched quad would react in the same manor unless somthing was going wrong. Anyone ever experience something like this? I just don't want to risk damage to the amp if one of the tubes is not heating properly, and or the amp is not operating proplerly.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Tubes wear out after a while, this is totally normal. Go order some new tubes and replace them. As long as they are the same type of tube you wont have to do any sort of biasing to it. It's also really easy to replace the tubes, just make sure you can access the tubes, you amp is unplugged, and just pull em out and put the new ones in. Make sure the amp has been off for a least an hour so you don't burn yourself on the tubes or so they don't break on your hand.
well if the tubes are about a year old your best bet should be to replace them, just to be safe. Plus a tubes life lasts about a year max. If you do get new tubes I would suggenst getting Eurotubes as they are pretty cheap and just as good as groove tubes and any other high end tube out there.
I don't think the tube are worn out, they seem to sound as good as new, and operate normaly. My amp doesnt get used but 3-5 hours a week, I figuered I should at least get 2 years out of the tubes, plus the amp shows no sign of tube failure. BTW Tubdepot.com is a much better place to tube shop than Eurotubes.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
If you really think there is something wrong then bring it to a local tech. Make sure the place is licensed to repair it so you amp will still be under warranty (if that is a problem) and so you know they will make sure it is like new when you get it back.
Quote by Redrocker336
well if the tubes are about a year old your best bet should be to replace them, just to be safe. Plus a tubes life lasts about a year max. If you do get new tubes I would suggenst getting Eurotubes as they are pretty cheap and just as good as groove tubes and any other high end tube out there.
uh... no
I just thought of a way to test the amp amp to see if its an amp problem or a just a tube thats reacting differently. Im going to pull the odd tube and change its posistion and see if its the tube socket or the tube thats is causing the change.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6