I'm just starting to get into guitar playing. Once I have the money, I'm hoping to buy a Schecter Omen 6 FR.

My question is, can some people help me pick out the best accessories to suit my desired playing style?

I'm most likely going to play things like Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, Green Day, Rise Against, etc. Pretty much I want things that will cover Metal, Rock, and Punk Rock.

I was thinking about getting a Marshall MG30 for my amp, but I'm not set in stone on that.

I need help choosing picks and strings, and information about good, yet affordable cables, tuners, cases, etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.
might want to consider a Roland Cube 30 for the amp. Strings? D'addario's 10-46 for me. Cable? I've used the same planet waves for almost 5 years. Good cables. case? just look around for what suits you and your price range.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
i would recomend a squire starter pack to begin with and then if you get the hang of playing and enjoy it, then you can spend the money on a nicer guitar.
also with the starter packs you get loads of wee bits like plecs, cables, tuners, etc

Ibanez S670FM
Ibanez Masa SX60
Roland Cube 60
CryBaby GCB 95
Ibanez GSR180 Bass

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
inb4 casual flaming of the MG series, i'd try out a few other amps, peavey, roland cubes, etc, and the MG you can as well, make your own decision.
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
do NOT get the MG. get a roland, peavey, or vox (they make the best beginner practise amps).

as for strings/picks/cables: everyone has their different opinions, all i can tell is try different kinds out and find what works best for you. there is no "best" when it comes to guitar stuff
Do not get the Marshall MG. Look into a Peavey Vypyr, Vox Valvetronix, or Roland Cube.

As far as picks and strings - that is pretty much personal preference. You will just have to try different ones out and find which you like the best.

Cables are somewhat personal preference but there are brands that are better than others. Live Wire tends to be a pretty popular and affordable brand amongst the UG members.

As far as a tuner goes - are you looking for one in a pedal form or one of the little rectangular shaped ones that you plug into to tune and unplug from once you're done tuning?

I wouldn't get a case unless you're going to be transporting your guitar a lot and putting it in situations where it will get banged and beaten. A "gig bag" should be good enough for you.
In my opinion it would be better for you to hold off on getting the Floyd Rose. They can be very frustrating for guitarists. Especially those who are new. I still find mine quite frustrating during the restringing process xD.

Check out the Schecter Damien 6. It is the same price plus active EMG pickups.

For cables I'd suggest monster cables. They are reliable and if they do break over time you can take them back to guitar center for a free set.

I play a lot of metal and for picks I use the Eric Johnson signature jazz picks.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-Eric-Johnson-Classic-Jazz-III-Guitar-Pick-6-Pack-104827209-i1397362.gc

Can't go wrong with a korg tuner.

Make sure to get a decent Distortion pedal
Last edited by jackofclubs at Jul 20, 2009,
korg ca30 tuner is supposed to be good and only $20
strings: dunlop, d'addario, ernie ball, etc. in probably 10s
cables: mogami, look here for a decent price on them http://www.lavacable.com/mogami.html get a 10 or 12 foot 1/4" to 1/4" cable ($26)

I'd also get a different amp, look at the blackstar HT-5, a little more, but its tube and much better than the mg.
Try this out: http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-IJX121 Its more geared towards metal players.
If the FR in the name of that guitar your looking at means Floyd Rose, dont get it. It would be really complicated for a first guitar, go for a hardtail.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
I wouldnt get an MG30. Try something like a Peavey Vyper, or a Vox AD series amp. Much better sound i think, and its more versatile as well, something thats important for a beginner I think. Personally, I like Dunlop Jazz 3 picks, mostly b/c they are so small, and you can pick a bit faster with em. But strings and picks are all a question of personal preference, so try out a bunch of types before you stick with one brand. You probably will want .10 gauge strings. They are slightly thicker than stock strings (.09), and can handle tunings down to D standard I think. A good tuner for you to get would be a Korg CA-30, or if you have a little more money, a Pitchblack pedal tuner.
Like stated try and pick a different amp.

Schecters are nice guitars but play a few others in your budget for about an 15-30 minutes each to make sure it feels good. Nothing like getting your first guitar and you hate the neck.

A chromatic tuner like a Korg CA-30 is a good investment

As for picks and strings that one will take you a while. I've just now found the picks I like. Find a place that sells singles and buy one of each and play them all until you find the right one. As for strings that will take a while as well, gauge and feel play a very important role. Its best to get a different pack every dtring change until you find the right set. Also I suggest starting off with 9's atleast to you get the basics down. Then switch to 10's to beef up the muscles in your hands.
Wow, I wasn't expecting to get so much help so quickly. Thanks everyone.

I like the Roland Cube 30X. I've read some reviews and people really seem to like it, and it has some features I really like.

I also downgraded from the Floyd Rose to just the regular Omen 6. I don't need a trem for now.

A gig bag should do fine instead of a hard case. I don't plan on playing where it can get damaged for a while, and when I transport items, I usually treat them like babies.

I think I'm also just going to play with the stock strings for now until I figure out what I like and become at least a slightly better player.

I'm going to start with some medium picks of various kinds and work my way from there.

My dad has been playing guitar since he was a kid, so I can probably borrow things like cables from him to find out what I like. He plays on a Rickenbacker with a Vox 15w handwired amp.
Quote by smagliaro

I like the Roland Cube 30X. I've read some reviews and people really seem to like it, and it has some features I really like.

I also downgraded from the Floyd Rose to just the regular Omen 6. I don't need a trem for now.

A gig bag should do fine instead of a hard case. I don't plan on playing where it can get damaged for a while, and when I transport items, I usually treat them like babies.

I think I'm also just going to play with the stock strings for now until I figure out what I like and become at least a slightly better player.

I'm going to start with some medium picks of various kinds and work my way from there.

My dad has been playing guitar since he was a kid, so I can probably borrow things like cables from him to find out what I like. He plays on a Rickenbacker with a Vox 15w handwired amp.

It's cool to see you are doing some searching, man. Can't really offer any input, but I hope things turn out well for you.
Quote by LukeElliff
IF you want faster stumming then loosen your strings, that will force you into using more strength

Quote by pantallica95
i dont know about the polarity and ****, but my regular ones just wont go in the hole without a lot of force.
Good choice on the guitar, the amp does need review... if you want to spend a little extra, a Blackstar HT5 would be a nice amp for you, if not, the Peavey Vypyr and Cube 30 would appeal to you.
when you get strings, make sure you get coated strings so that they don't rust quickly. i like to use elixar strings though they are a bit expensive (they last way longer so that makes up for it).

for picks, i really like Dunlop Jazz III picks much better than regular standard picks. if you were to get regular picks though, i would suggest the Dunlop Tortex ones. they are awesome.

Cables: a decent livewire one should be fine for a beginner. it is what i still use and it is inexpensive and comes with a lifetime warranty.

Tuner: just get a korg brand tuner (i have the ca30) and you should be fine.

and yeahhh...thats what i gotta say.
Quote by smagliaro

You may be a noob, but you're one of the more intelligent noobs Ive seen in a while. Everything you've said you plan to do I strongly recommend. My one little thing though is about the medium picks, personally I prefer heavy, especially for metal, but thats just me. Glad to see you wont be one of the noobs with a BC Rich and a Spider III.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
You may be a noob, but you're one of the more intelligent noobs Ive seen in a while. Everything you've said you plan to do I strongly recommend. My one little thing though is about the medium picks, personally I prefer heavy, especially for metal, but thats just me. Glad to see you wont be one of the noobs with a BC Rich and a Spider III.

One of my friends told me "don't buy a schekter, by a bC rich cuz they sound awesomee!!1". I looked them up and did a little reading and decided mighty quickly that I didn't want one. That, and I just think they're downright ugly.