30 41%
Hughes and Kettner 25th Ann. Edition Tube Combo
13 18%
BH15H with BH112 cab
12 16%
Tiny Terror with Orange 112 cab
19 26%
Voters: 74.
Which amp would you go for? I have maximum of £500 (about $800) and these are my options:

Blackstar HT5 Ministack - £400
Hughes & Kettner 25th Anniversary Edition Tube Combo - £500
Blackheart Handsome Devil Head (15W) head with Blackheart 1x12 cab - £300
Orange Tiny Terror with Orange 1x12 cab - £470

I play pop punk/rock mainly but I also play lots of clean etc. so it needs to be versatile.

Looking at the price and the quality im leaning towards the Blackheart 15W head and the 112 cab. I really don't mind about overdrive on the amp because I a can buy pedals etc.

Thanks in advance!
Secondly, there's not much point spending a substantial amount on an amp if you intend to use pedals for distortion. Yes boost/overdrive pedals, but only to push the tubes harder in order to squeeze more gain out of it.

If you like your cleans, the Vox Night Train may well be worth looking into although I have not played one myself.

I find the tiny terror a bit too muddy sounding, and hence if cleans are what you are after then I recommend you do not get it, however each to his own and the amp is great sounding for the price.

If you look used on sites such as gumtree you might find something you're after, there are a fair few JCMs going all very very generously priced due to the current crappy economy.
Quote by Jonny Yuma
Secondly, there's not much point spending a substantial amount on an amp if you intend to use pedals for distortion. Yes boost/overdrive pedals, but only to push the tubes harder in order to squeeze more gain out of it.

Why do people keep saying this? There are more options, unless that's all that's available to you.

If you really want to use pedals for dirt, a blues deluxe is right in your price range. Laney (lc30, vc30?) would be worth looking into.

Out of those, I'd get the handsome devil
Well I'l put it into an analogy;

You buy a £700 Orange Rocker 30, you want to play metal on it...do you buy a Boss Metal Zone? Or do you boost it with a Tubescreamer/[Insert pedal here]?

Thats just my slightly close-minded opinion however, what are the other options?
boost pedals squeeze more gain out of anything, not just a dirty amp. You could use the metalzone and use it as a boost too, if you like the way it changes the tone. If you're on a limited budget and need cleans and drive, get a good clean amp and a good distortion pedal, as opposed to a good dirty amp and ? No such thing as a clean pedal.

I'd much rather have a lonestar/twin/etc. with an rc booster, dls and ts as opposed to a silver jubilee with the same pedals, assumming cleans and drive are of equal import. I'd also much rather have a lonestar than a hot rod, crate powerblock, jc-120, etc. To say that all clean amps sound the same if you're getting the drive from pedals is just wrong.
Thanks for all the info guys, to define my points:

I mainly play pop punk/rock but I will also want to be able to the likes of Crazy Train and Stricken however I will also want to play stuff like Hotel California and chord stuff. So a bit of everything really.

I'm just saying, about the pedal, I only said I can use em because I didn't want you guys suggesting only amps with added distortion. If you know what I mean.

Also, on the weekend Im going to a shop that do blackheart but they only have a Blackheart 5 watt combo in (the little giant combo), how close will this replicate the sound of the handsome devil half stack? Because I can't find a single handsome devil in any shop and so this combo is the only one I can try.
so it's pop punk/rock , heavy/modern metal and good cleans?
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
If not already mentioned, the Orange TT won't allow you the ability to switch between clean and driven tones at your feet. A stomp box, overdrive pedal will have to pose as your lead tones. But doing so means you are utilizing the TT as a clean amp, which is not where it shines.
The Vox AC15 is a brilliant little amp for doing just that. BostonRocks, a UG'er here has just bought one, and he seems very happy. He combines it with a fuzz.

The Blackstar HT-5 is a nice amp, if a little flat for punk-rock. It has more of that gritty high-gain, British compression that bands like Judas Priest use.

The Blackheart is a nice amp, but nowhere near as tight as the Orange or the Blackstar. It seems like a cop-out where you would justify buying an amp designed for hard-blues followed by pedals. Why don't you just use the extra £150 and buy a better amp? That said, I have tried a ProCo Rat Distortion with the 5 watt version, and it tasty for the money.

Quote by Jonny Yuma
None of those.

http://haydenamps.com/amps-mofo.php

thank me later
I have yet to try one of these, but the clips sound gorgeous. I have wanted one for about three months now. If you live near Huddersfield, go try them out.

I haven't tried the H&K, but I read that it's quite a dark, enigmatic amp that requires persistence and experience with H&K gear. I don't know whether that is true or not, but whatever. If you can try one out, do so, you may really like it.

Out of all those, I would get the Hayden Mofo.
Quote by Slicer666
so it's pop punk/rock , heavy/modern metal and good cleans?

You got it.

Quote by AngryGoldfish
If not already mentioned, the Orange TT won't allow you the ability to switch between clean and driven tones at your feet. A stomp box, overdrive pedal will have to pose as your lead tones. But doing so means you are utilizing the TT as a clean amp, which is not where it shines.
The Vox AC15 is a brilliant little amp for doing just that. BostonRocks, a UG'er here has just bought one, and he seems very happy. He combines it with a fuzz.

The Blackstar HT-5 is a nice amp, if a little flat for punk-rock. It has more of that gritty high-gain, British compression that bands like Judas Priest use.

The Blackheart is a nice amp, but nowhere near as tight as the Orange or the Blackstar. It seems like a cop-out where you would justify buying an amp designed for hard-blues followed by pedals. Why don't you just use the extra £150 and buy a better amp? That said, I have tried a ProCo Rat Distortion with the 5 watt version, and it tasty for the money.

Thanks for that great overview man, just what I was looking for! The Hayden is too much I think though so that kinda goes out the question.

So out of those 4 what one would you recommend to me? However, if you suggest the Orange or something thats like £200 over the blackheart gear, is it really worth it? Also I will check out some Vox's. I am going to try all these amps out soon anyway then I will post back my opinion and then I can finally narrow it down! lol

Any more amps you guys suggest me checking out?

P.S. that hayden is £429 just for the head.
^ you could probably pick up a valve junior cab or something for about £100, if not less.

what wattage do you need? EDIT: oh, you need brootalz too?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by livnew
You got it.

Thanks for that great overview man, just what I was looking for! The Hayden is too much I think though so that kinda goes out the question.

So out of those 4 what one would you recommend to me? However, if you suggest the Orange or something thats like £200 over the blackheart gear, is it really worth it? Also I will check out some Vox's. I am going to try all these amps out soon anyway then I will post back my opinion and then I can finally narrow it down! lol

Any more amps you guys suggest me checking out?

P.S. that hayden is £429 just for the head.
Dave_Mc there knows a few boutique amp makers. I'm thinking... Cornell, ValvePower, Mango Amps, EVA, MJW (Martamp), Matamp. I've only actually had experience with Matamp - they are one of the best amp builders in Britain.
Other than that, I can't think of anything.

As a choice between those four you've listed... i really can't tell. sorry.
Quote by stykerwolf
Don't think you need a fullstack, even if it's mini.
What?

Also, If you plan to gig or jam, the TT is the only one with enough headroom to stay fairly clean at jamming volume. The Blues Junior suggestion isn't a bad one either.
So what would people say if I chucked a Vox AC15 in to the mix?

The general impression so far is:

Blackstar: good all rounder

H&K: not much info

Blackheart: not much info

Orange: great but not so good on cleans

would I be right in saying this?

Anyone else got the handsome devil blackheart since I can get that with the 112 cab for a mere £300, seriously I don't wanna pass up that oppurtinity do I?

Thanks for all the help so far guys
^ i thought the ac15 i tried sounded like ass, but it was second-hand (so may have had problems related to that- of course, that might just be how it sounded, in which case avoid it).

Quote by AngryGoldfish
Dave_Mc there knows a few boutique amp makers. I'm thinking... Cornell, ValvePower, Mango Amps, EVA, MJW (Martamp), Matamp. I've only actually had experience with Matamp - they are one of the best amp builders in Britain.
Other than that, I can't think of anything.

As a choice between those four you've listed... i really can't tell. sorry.

yeah, i've only tried a few of those UK ones too- cornell, cornford, matamp, sheldon, wolfetone, (though wolfetone have ceased trading, so that's of little use). Only thing is, if you need more modern tones too, as far as i'm aware, anyway, only cornford and maybe martamp/mjw or hayden (if you go for the right models) will do it.

I'd be inclined to think about that hayden mofo (IF you can get to try one first, i haven't tried it and it's pretty new so it may suck, or have bugs etc.), maybe the H&K (assuming it sounds close to the older one, which got pretty modern)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey dave_mc, same user name as over in the music radar forum?

Should be getting my MoFo tomorrow as it was shipped out earlier today. Can't wait!
haha, yeah. I saw your post there, will be interested to hear what you think of it when it arrives.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i thought the ac15 i tried sounded like ass, but it was second-hand (so may have had problems related to that- of course, that might just be how it sounded, in which case avoid it).

yeah, i've only tried a few of those UK ones too- cornell, cornford, matamp, sheldon, wolfetone, (though wolfetone have ceased trading, so that's of little use). Only thing is, if you need more modern tones too, as far as i'm aware, anyway, only cornford and maybe martamp/mjw or hayden (if you go for the right models) will do it.

I'd be inclined to think about that hayden mofo (IF you can get to try one first, i haven't tried it and it's pretty new so it may suck, or have bugs etc.), maybe the H&K (assuming it sounds close to the older one, which got pretty modern)...

Ok, so out of my list you would go with the H&K?

Seriously my limit is strictly £500, I don't think I can go over that, my orginal budget was less but I increased it slightly so like everything I would obviously want to keep the price as low as possible.

I really really want to know more about the handsome devil because I won't be able to try it, only the little giant combo, how close is the sound between the handsome devil half stack and the little giant combo? Will I be able to gig with the handsome devil mic'd up to the PA?

Thanks for all the help so far, much appreciated.
^ more like out of the two i've tried on the list (and i've only tried the older version of the H&K, the newer one might be completely different), i'd go with the H&K. As i said, look into that hayden one too, if you can find a cheap enough cab. Though I haven't tried it either.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ more like out of the two i've tried on the list (and i've only tried the older version of the H&K, the newer one might be completely different), i'd go with the H&K. As i said, look into that hayden one too, if you can find a cheap enough cab. Though I haven't tried it either.

I searched and searched for a cheap cab for that Hayden and I can't really find a decent enough one However, through my search I stumbled across the Vox Night Train head with a Vox Night Train 112 cab for £528 and it includes a free Vox V847 wah, is that a good deal? And what do the Night Trains sound like? Better than my options already or similar?
i haven't tried the nighttrain yet.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?