EDIT:

PLEASE SEE MY LAST POST. PLEASE SEE MY LAST POST.

------------------------------------------------

Hey, as you can see, right now I'm using a Roland Cube 30X, and I absolutely love it! I haven't had it for very long but I feel like I need to know what kind of amp I should save for and be aware of what I need. I don't know very much about amps, so help me out here.

- I play 70% classic rock and 30% alternative and other various things sometimes...

- I don't have a budget as of now... I think I need some advice on how much I should spend on my next amp.

- I assume I'll be buying this at least a year or so from now. I will probably NOT be in a band. It will be mainly for practicing and perhaps jamming with friends every now and then... So, I don't think I need a stack or anything huge.

So there you go, based on that stuff, recommend me a brand, model, price range, any help will do! And if you need any more info, you know what to do! Thanks
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Royal_Brick at Jul 20, 2009,
Valve Junior and a POD Xt Live or above.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Vox AC15. capable of classic rock when cranked and has great cleans. goes for $600, 15 watts all tube.

oh and you wouldnt need a halfstack even if you were playing in a band
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Bright Light
Vox AC15. capable of classic rock when cranked and has great cleans. goes for $600, 15 watts all tube.

oh and you wouldnt need a halfstack even if you were playing in a band

+1. may also want to look into smaller marshall AVTs.
The thing to look for would be an all-tube amp with low wattage so it can be pushed to distort at volumes reasonable for your bedroom/apartment/practice space. The above poster's suggestion of an AC15 has my vote. 600 dollars is what I paid for my Fender HRD before I knew anything about amps, and that bastard is WAY too loud for my needs.

Good Luck!
I'll definitely look into Marshall and Vox tubes, that sounds like a good deal!

Is a tube amp with a low watt better than a SS high watt? Can they produce the same volume? Thanks!
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Id say try out a Blackstar HT-5. Its only a 5-watt amp, so it'll be good for practice and bedroom playing, even with the distortion up high. An Epi Valve Junior is another good choice, altho it only has a volume control, no EQ or gain knobs. But with an overdrive and an EQ pedal, it should be fine.
You can also try Laney's. The VC 15 and LC 15 are decent little tube amps and cheaper than a Vox AC 15 (I own a LC 15-R and i moved from a cube 15 X and the little Laney LC 15 is just in a complete different league, nice tone specially for rock and punk). For a bout 400$ you should be able to get one of those 2 amps (i paid like 380 $).
Quote by Royal_Brick

Is a tube amp with a low watt better than a SS high watt? Can they produce the same volume? Thanks!

There's no direct comparison but most players prefer the sound of a tube amp.
My 50w SS puts out about the same as an AC15 but Vox amps tend to be loud for their rating. An AC30 would be at least close to a Fender Twin Reverb of more than double the rating.
Okay, for your needs, a Blackstar HT-5 would suit well, and handle your styles at least as well as the AC15. Volume is said to be good for home and practice provided you don't have a competitive drummer. Some people use them for small gigs and mic'd up for bigger ones. (tell the sound engineer to give you plenty in the monitors or you may not hear yourself)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

The Epiphone Valve Junior and the Blacktar HT-5 are two of the better low-wattage tube amps. The Valve Jr. is pretty basic, just a volume knob. The Blackstar has more of the dressins as they say in the south. The HT-5 is more expensive, but you get good cleans, high gain, 3 band eq, 2 channels, ISF (really ****ing cool), and an effects loop. Another advantage of tube amps is that they take pedals better than SS modelers.

Above all, try a bunch of different amps out and see what is most pleasing to your ear. Don't blind buy unless you can't find anything in your area. Then again, I blind bought my blackstar and couldn't be happier with it.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
OK guys, sorry to bump this thread, but I've been looking into the Blackstar HT-5 5W amp (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT-5-5W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105154413-i1434794.gc). It looks really great, but I've got a couple concerns...

1) I realize that I don't need my next amp to be very loud, but is 5 watts going to be enough? It just seems like such a small number that I won't be able to play with a band (no gigs). I don't know anything about tube amps... so can this amp reach high volumes, even as a low watt?

2) I want to be sure that this amp is worth it for what I need. When the time comes for me to buy it, I want it to be a serious upgrade from my current amp (Roland Cube 30X). I want a new amp because, at this point, I know what sound and genres that I play, I want an amp that can handle pedals and such, and I just want a clearer and more powerful amp overall. I won't be getting it for probably a year or so, so I want to be assured that it's worth upgrading my current amp.

3) Any of your experiences with this amp would be appreciated! Thanks
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
It's a huge step up from the Cube and will work with a band, provided your drummer doesn't play like a monkey.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Wait, so are you playing with a band or not? Last I remember you were playing with just friends... The wattage for that depends on what wattage their amps are.
I've heard good things about the HT-5, so maybe that and a Pod?
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Fender Blues Jr.
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

THE WHO
Quote by stratomaster15
Wait, so are you playing with a band or not? Last I remember you were playing with just friends... The wattage for that depends on what wattage their amps are.
I've heard good things about the HT-5, so maybe that and a Pod?

Well, not a band, more of a "band." Haha you get the point, just some guys getting together and playing.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X