Page 1 of 2
So I have about $1400 to spend on a guitar and I want to get a Gibson. The only Les Paul I can afford is a Studio, but I'm not sure if its worth it. So is a Les Paul Studio as good as other Les Pauls (standard, custom), or is it really inferior?
uh, no they're not, which is why they don't cost as much.

and as much as they're maligned around here, they can still be very good guitars. All standard production level Gibsons (so specials, fadeds, studios, classics, standards, anything that doesn't come out of the custom shop) have issues with inconsistency and quality control. Also, they have the problem with having really crappy electronics. Gibson's pots suck and their caps suck. But a good playing, good sounding les paul studio +$50 in upgrades can get you a very good instrument.

I'll say this, I've never owned a standard, so I can't say that a studio is as good as a standard, as it most likely is not. The only other les paul I've owned as a 2005 Epiphone les paul standard (which was sold after one semester of college for textbook money). The only problem I've ever had with mine was that the electronics suck (I replaced the pots with RS superpots, $30 upgrade, and PIO caps, $5 each off Ebay) and the stock pickups are uninspiring, but some people actually really like them, and I've heard them sound good in a lot of guitars, including other les paul studios. They just didn't sound that hot in my guitar and I got rid of them.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 20, 2009,
One of the nicest guitars I've ever played was a Les Paul Studio from a few years ago. They sound great and play very well IMO, but like al said, a couple upgrades if needed will really make it a beast.

EDIT: I also hear that older Studios are a lot better than the more recent ones.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Last edited by edbert at Jul 20, 2009,
the standards are better quality but both are so varied, so with gibson you should just find one that's right for you regardless of what model it is.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Try a bunch of Studios and you can probably find a good one. Don't buy unseen / un-played since many are so-so.
Studios are really hit and miss, but the only ones that really stood out to me as a whole were Swampash (IIRC, pale wood) that was a heavy **** even for LPs and sounded...pretty metalish, reminded me of how the LTD felt when I tried it. If you're into that might give it a run. The other was the Vintage Mahogany, which all seemed to have better sound to my ears both distorted and clean. With the Burstbucker Pros* (I'm fairly sure that is the standard) standard it sounds pretty badass, but pickup swaps are fairly easy. They are pretty damn nice 'budget' Gibsons. I hear the SG line is on the whole better for what they are but people tend to be more picky with LPs in my experience.

I do believe they discontinued the Vintage Mahogany this year, shame. But the 08-09 and 90s Studios all have good raps going for them at the moment. With the 08/09 you still need to comb over many studios to find exactly what you want but they aren't as bad as older studios.
I love mine, played some standards and they feel the same. But im talking about the older standards, before the pleking and stuff.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
i have an 08 worn cherry and its a great guitar. i did go through about 10 of them before i chose mine.the one i bought has 0 blems and a lot of the others had them. plays great even my teacher says it is fantastic.
A Studio can be decent if you shop around - sometimes a good one crops up that you might find sitting at the back of a shop's shelf. They're also a fairly decent base to start with if you're someone who is really specific about what pickups, electronics, bridges and tuners they use.

That said, you are going to have to do more searching to find a good Studio than you would to find a good Standard or Traditional. Also if you got the best Standard and the best Studio, the Standard would still be a generally better instrument.

Studios are basically respectable instruments but don't expect them to blow you away. When people talk about great Gibsons, they're talk about vintage models or Custom Shop models. You never hear "oh man I played the most flawless guitar ever today, it was the holy grail of guitars, it sounded so good that it bought Jimi Hendrix back to life and made Jimmy Page cream his pants just hearing it... yeah it was a 2008 Gibson LP Studio Faded on sale for $900".

edit: Also, older Studios in the mid 90's were generally more consistent and slightly better than the ones being chucked out the factory these days. When it comes to Studios, going used is really worth it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jul 20, 2009,
Apparently a Studio is just basicaly a Standard just without the looks
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by Tokai09
Apparently a Studio is just basicaly a Standard just without the looks
And if you believe that you'll probably also believe an MG has the most crushing overdrive in the world.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
No not really cause MG's suck and i also put "Apparently"
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

The difference between a studio is lack of binding, a plain maple cap, thinner neck (though this really varies, I have no idea what Gibson defines as a '50s or '60s neck anymore), and different pickups (for better or for worse). Wood is also probably a lower grade, studios are generally a little heavier, more dense sounding, but also cost half the price of a standard.

I'd personally never buy a standard, I'd just put in the extra $500 for a G0.
Quote by MrFlibble
And if you believe that you'll probably also believe an MG has the most crushing overdrive in the world.

well despite the lack of binding and different pickups

the wood electrics hardwear etc is the same

i believe les paul himself prefers to play studios over standards
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
I'm sure they said Studio were basicaly Standards but with a less fancy look cause wasn't the slogan some thing like "No thrills" or summit like that.

You can find a nice LP Studio. But for me, the problem with them is cosmetic. Studios just look way too cheap without a binding, IMO.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

there's plenty of non-Gibson Les Pauls out there. if you look into those, you'll probably find a better deal. i'm not one to decide for you, though.
Quote by heminder
there's plenty of non-Gibson Les Pauls out there. if you look into those, you'll probably find a better deal. i'm not one to decide for you, though.

LTD EC-1000 with Duncans pwns IMO.
Quote by steve!

I think he plays his own goddamned guitar he made or a crazy custom shop from Gibson.
Quote by manhangi
I think he plays his own goddamned guitar he made or a crazy custom shop from Gibson.

he plays a signature model that gibson made at some point in the '70s when they were owned by norlin. it's called the les paul personal, but he's modded his a hell of a lot since then.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by steve!
well despite the lack of binding and different pickups

the wood electrics hardwear etc is the same

One out of these three lines is correct. Can you guess which one?
Quote by Blompcube
he plays a signature model that gibson made at some point in the '70s when they were owned by norlin. it's called the les paul personal, but he's modded his a hell of a lot since then.

actually he plays a red studo often at his club residency
hes even said in intverviews he prefers the lp studios top hes a pic of it behind him during his shows obviously he uses his 70s one but he also uses a studio
GEAR
Orange AD-30 Combo

Quote by MrFlibble
One out of these three lines is correct. Can you guess which one?

and as somebody who works in a guitar shop

all three

its the same hardware same nut material same bridge and tailpiece unless theyv changed anything on the 08 models
its the same basic wood obviously the standard has tops and so forth but the mahoganys the same stuff
the lp standard has burstbuckers wereas the studio has 490 and 498

and the third line was answered above
GEAR
Orange AD-30 Combo

Last edited by steve! at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by steve!
actually he plays a red studo often at his club residency
hes even said in intverviews he prefers the lp studios top hes a pic of it behind him during his shows obviously he uses his 70s one but he also uses a studio

ah right. however this proves nothing, other than that les paul uses a studio which is meaningless to everyone else, since the logic behind les pauls tone contradicts what everyone else would want

Quote by Blompcube
ah right. however this proves nothing, other than that les paul uses a studio which is meaningless to everyone else, since the logic behind les pauls tone contradicts what everyone else would want

true
just wanted to prove that i was right
but still

no matter anyones opinions on the model
there are good ones and bad ones same as with alot of there more expensive models
play a few and u might find an outstanding one amongst a bunch of **** ones
ud be suprised some of the ones wev sent back in our shop
that have been absoultluy disgraceful qc-wise and thats not just studios that includes standards and other higher priced models
GEAR
Orange AD-30 Combo

Quote by steve!
true
just wanted to prove that i was right
but still

no matter anyones opinions on the model
there are good ones and bad ones same as with alot of there more expensive models
play a few and u might find an outstanding one amongst a bunch of **** ones
ud be suprised some of the ones wev sent back in our shop
that have been absoultluy disgraceful qc-wise and thats not just studios that includes standards and other higher priced models

True, the guitar shop i used to do work exp in used have loads of people putting their studios up for sale because they were just utter crapness but the only decent one we had in was this one with black finnish and gold hardware with a maple cap.

whoa. Just looked up that Les Paul Personal and its amazing. I think I can honestly say I've never seen anything quite like it...
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Quote by steve!
and as somebody who works in a guitar shop
That actually makes you less credible than anyone else. Guitar store staff are not famed for their intelligence.

its the same hardware same nut material same bridge and tailpiece unless theyv changed anything on the 08 models
It's not been changed, but it's not the same either and hasn't been since the early 90's.
its the same basic wood obviously the standard has tops and so forth but the mahoganys the same stuff
You evidently know nothing about body construction or wood quality...

Interesting side-note: I just typo'd 'construction' as 'soncsturtcion'. God knows how I did that, but hey-ho.
Quote by MrFlibble
That actually makes you less credible than anyone else. Guitar store staff are not famed for their intelligence.

excuse me ?
just because i work in a guitar shop i know nothing
il have you know i dont work in some stupid chain like gc
i work in a private owned store with people who have played for years
i do not appreciate being called stupid
GEAR
Orange AD-30 Combo

Quote by steve!
excuse me ?
just because i work in a guitar shop i know nothing
il have you know i dont work in some stupid chain like gc
i work in a private owned store with people who have played for years
i do not appreciate being called stupid
Then stop making stupid claims that anyone with an ounce of common sense can see are clearly wrong.

Incidently, the dumbest store staff I've ever met work in an independent guitar store that's been running here for years, so there's that one out the window.
Quote by MrFlibble
Then stop making stupid claims that anyone with an ounce of common sense can see are clearly wrong.

Incidently, the dumbest store staff I've ever met work in an independent guitar store that's been running here for years, so there's that one out the window.

It seems like your saying that all shops are the same...they aren't. The idea that only stupid guitarists work at guitar shops is one of the dumbest things i've heard yet.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
I am amazed at the amount of people trying to twist Flibble's words into stuff that he isn't saying.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by leftyace
It seems like your saying that all shops are the same...they aren't. The idea that only stupid guitarists work at guitar shops is one of the dumbest things i've heard yet.
I've never met a single person I would call clever in any guitar store nationwide, and I have in fact come across some people who could barely tune a guitar.

The problem is, guitar stores seem to hire people who have impressive gig sheets, but those people tend to not be the sort of person who is actually going to pay close attention to the specs of guitars or even just how to work a till properly, let alone have any kind of good sales pitch. It's like an ice cream parlor hiring fat people, they may know their way around a cone but that doesn't mean they're suitable to put in your storefront.

Quote by Baby Joel
I am amazed at the amount of people trying to twist Flibble's words into stuff that he isn't saying.
Well there is that too.

To clarify: I'm not saying every single person who works in any kind of music store is instantly mentally challenged. I'm just saying that by and large they are often not MENSA members, and just working in a guitar store does not instantly mean you know everything about guitars and that your words is final.
Quote by MrFlibble

oh so you base all stores on the one that you live near

and really how many lps have gone through you hands
i do not appreciate being called an idiot i know a lot more then a lot of people weather you belive it or not
but iv had many guitars pass through my hands whilst working in a shop and i more then def have seen a broader range of gibson les pauls then you
GEAR
Orange AD-30 Combo

Last edited by steve! at Jul 20, 2009,
I have a Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany and I love it. Yes, they were discontinued, but if you go to a Guitar Center, there will still be a few there (that's the case for my GC at least). When I was looking for guitars, I found the VM, and was blown away. The pickups are great, it feels very solid, and the construction was great. However, this was not the case for all of the VMs there. There were 3 at the store, one had a very faded body and neck (much more than usual) and the other was missing the knob for the rhythm/treble switch. Mine was perfect. So, as others have said, make sure you play it before you buy. Highly recommended guitar.
Gear:
Gibson Vintage Mahogany LP
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Classic 30
Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo
Vox V847A Wahwah pedal
ts you tend to get a lot of kids on here who regurgitate the same stuff they have heard, but have never tried out any expensive guitars because the man in the shop wont let them:-

ive got a studio, its a solid guitar. they say the maple cap is inferior but i dont think anyone could tell the difference. i tried standards and lp customs and high end tokais blow them out the water. you could get a jap tokai one piece neck and back with really good pups for the same cash as a studio.

if you need to spend a bit less the mahogany studio is great. i believe it sounds better because of the lack of paint job. bit more resonant and slightly warmer imo.
Quote by DaathMatal
ts you tend to get a lot of kids on here who regurgitate the same stuff they have heard, but have never tried out any expensive guitars because the man in the shop wont let them:-

ive got a studio, its a solid guitar. they say the maple cap is inferior but i dont think anyone could tell the difference. i tried standards and lp customs and high end tokais blow them out the water. you could get a jap tokai one piece neck and back with really good pups for the same cash as a studio.

if you need to spend a bit less the mahogany studio is great. i believe it sounds better because of the lack of paint job. bit more resonant and slightly warmer imo.

i +1 this
the mij tokais really do **** on gibson right now
the ones over a grand are amazing but even the 700 quid ones are fantastic
GEAR
Orange AD-30 Combo

Quote by steve!
oh so you base all stores on the one that you live near

and really how many lps have gone through you hands
after reading i found they changed to tonepros on the newer models
but before that it was the same hard wear the pickups are different
but i do not appreciate being called an idiot i know a lot more then a lot of people weather you belive it or not
but iv had many guitars pass through my hands whilst working in a shop and i more then def have seen a broader range of gibson les pauls then you
I've played approximately 160 different Les Paul style guitars. I've played every model of Les Paul that Gibson and Epiphone have made in the last eight years as well as most models made since the mid 70's: I've also frequently played many genuine 50's Les Pauls. I have played over 30 Gibson Custom Shop 1959 VOS Reissue Les Pauls alone. The '59 Les Paul is actually the single reason why I got into guitar playing; originally I didn't care for guitar, I wanted to be a singer, then I saw Richie Sambora play one particular solo on a 1959 Les Paul and within a month I owned two Epi Les Pauls of my own. I am currently starting plans on making a Les Paul Special copy myself.

That's not to mention all the other guitars that have passed through my hands, everything from vintage 50's Strats owned by Jeff Beck with five-figure price tags to the most modern, cheapest, crappiest generic super-Strats. I've owned nearly every other type of guitar too, but LPs is always what I've gone back to.

If people ever wonder why I'm so smug and sure of myself, it's because I have damn good reason to be. The only person I've ever found who can match or better me for LP experience is the manager of the Bath branch of Vintage & Rare, which is the UK's leading classic guitar dealer.

edit: though I will happily agree with the above, the current Japanese-made Tokais **** over all the low-end Gibsons and usually the mid-range Gibsons too, for the same or less money as a Studio. As did the old MIJ Epiphone Elitists too, but you can't get those anymore, sadly.
Quote by MrFlibble
I've played approximately 160 different Les Paul style guitars. I've played every model of Les Paul that Gibson and Epiphone have made in the last eight years as well as most models made since the mid 70's: I've also frequently played many genuine 50's Les Pauls. I have played over 30 Gibson Custom Shop 1959 VOS Reissue Les Pauls alone. The '59 Les Paul is actually the single reason why I got into guitar playing; originally I didn't care for guitar, I wanted to be a singer, then I saw Richie Sambora play one particular solo on a 1959 Les Paul and within a month I owned two Epi Les Pauls of my own. I am currently starting plans on making a Les Paul Special copy myself.

That's not to mention all the other guitars that have passed through my hands, everything from vintage 50's Strats owned by Jeff Beck with five-figure price tags to the most modern, cheapest, crappiest generic super-Strats. I've owned nearly every other type of guitar too, but LPs is always what I've gone back to.

If people ever wonder why I'm so smug and sure of myself, it's because I have damn good reason to be. The only person I've ever found who can match or better me for LP experience is the manager of the Bath branch of Vintage & Rare, which is the UK's leading classic guitar dealer.

edit: though I will happily agree with the above, the current Japanese-made Tokais **** over all the low-end Gibsons and usually the mid-range Gibsons too, for the same or less money as a Studio. As did the old MIJ Epiphone Elitists too, but you can't get those anymore, sadly.

thats quite a collection of guitars youv played
i know when iv been bested
i concied you win
GEAR
Orange AD-30 Combo

If you're lucky and patient, you can find an LP standard for under 1400 on craigslist. I've seen 'em go for 950, because of a repaired headstock. Then you've got enough to throw down on some good pedals. If not, LP studios are running for about 500-700 in the bay area on craigslist, and if that's the case, spend your other 700 tracking down good pickups and electronics, then get it set up by an amazing Luthier. LP studios are not worth 1400 no matter what guitar center (k mart) might tell you.

Save your money and do it right

-Dale
"Easier to criticize than to create"
Page 1 of 2