i want to get a vocal mic, is shure sm58 a good one? do i need a wind screen?
what's shure 57's for?
what's the different between dynamic and condensed?
what mic should i get if i use for electric guitar?
finally, what does an interface actually do to the recording process?

thanks in advance
You do need a wind screen yes.
You can record vocals with any mic, a 57 works.
I would use it on electric guitar though.

I'm not really educated on the topic but from what I've found out, my condenser is a lot more sensitive than my dynamic, I also use it for vocals they are nice and crisp (Audio Technica 3035)

and there are a ton of interfaces to choose from. Hope I helped.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I have a shure sm58 copy - the techlink mm8
I tried this out as it was very cheap and i can't put it down!

Very clear warm vox can be recorded... just be sure to increase mic gain on interface.

Speaking of interfaces, I use a pod studio ux1.
This has tons of presets for guitar and vox... and you can plug both in.

Can stick guitar straight in and have instant access to loads of amps.
Gr8 for recording
an SM-58 is the industry standard for live mics.. they're great for vocals live and will outlive you (seriously). I used one in recording as well as band practice. i would have rather used a condenser to record vocals, but i only had my 58

SM57's are good for vocals and guitar as well. they make great amp mics, and snare mics.. they are also good for vocals. like the SM58, it's a very versatile mic that will outlive you.

the difference is the way they turn sound vibrations into electrical current. dynamics are simpler than condesers, condensors need an external power source and stuff like that but they have different sound elements that make them really nice

i would say you should get a Shure SM57 for guitar/vocals. it'll be able to do everything you want

an interface is what you plug your microphone into. it also has the preamps. that means that you plug your mic's XLR cable into the interface, then adjust the preamp knob on the interface to get the highest recording level without clipping and then that signal goes into your computer via USB port or Firewire port. They have different numbers of inputs typically between 2 and 10.

you need an interface, otherwise there's no way to use your mic with your computer with any quality (aka converters just won't do, and you'll probably blow your soundcard on your computer... i know i did..woops)
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Looks ok... better ask some other people too... because i've never actually used xlr to usb before.

I'd stick with an interface... but it's really up to you
Quote by ankthebank
Looks ok... better ask some other people too... because i've never actually used xlr to usb before.

I'd stick with an interface... but it's really up to you

can u give me names so i can check them out?

pod studio UX1 is pretty cool, the price is alright, i can use it to record with my computer right?
Last edited by ilovemusic25 at Jul 20, 2009,
Check out the Mackie Onyx Satellite.
Mbox stuff, I really don't know what you budget is but they are around the price of that mic bundle.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch