I have been playing guitar for a while now, but not taking it very serious. Now I wanna buy a new guitar and start taking it serious.
So i thought if you guys could help me a little with the songs. I have already found the guitar, so that's no need.
I like SlipKnoT, Bullet For My Valentine and that kind of stuff. Metal in general.
What could be good to start out with? About songs.
Last edited by Hamuti at Jul 20, 2009,
Try an ESP or Ibanez. Maybe Jackson?
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Why didn't you list any metal bands if you like metal?

While staying on topic, you can get a real good metal guitar for 400 USD, like Ibanez or ESP, both guitars have an amazing price/quality ratio.
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
Liberate is my favorite Slipknot song

Good BFMV - Scream Aim Fire, Waking the Demon, Eye of the Storm, Just Another Star..learn Tears Don't Fall if you wanna pick up chicks

Other songs in that genre: Inside the Fire by Disturbed, Slit My Wrist by Murderdolls, Whiskey Hangover by Godsmack (New song)

Although, I myself prefer older metal. Try Among the Living by Anthrax, Silent Scream by Slayer, Bonded by Blood by Exodus, and Into the Pit by Testament
Dude, those bands are NU-metal (which I don't think is metal) and metalCORE (notice CORE) so they are not good examples of metal bands.

Learn Evil Dead by Death it's a fun song to play and a great one too

If you want metalcore you should try Six by All That Remains or some songs from Lamb of God.

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
Quote by henkka_potku

If you want metalcore you should try Six by All That Remains or some songs from Lamb of God.

Lamb of god is NOT metalcore
Quote by Anonymoos

Thank you. Why does everyone say they are?

And good metal songs to learn would be the entire discography of Judas Preist, Iron Maiden, and Dio, the greatest metal bands ever.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Quote by pitobodies
Thank you. Why does everyone say they are?

Because they are. Breakdowns, randy's more-hardcore-than-thou vocal style and the entirety of their earlier output make them a metalcore band. Notice: I'm not arguing, I'm damn well telling you.

TS: We can't tell you what to play, just find songs you like to listen to and try to learn them as best you can, you'll get better at playing and enjoy yourself, so knock yourself out.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Anonymoos

yeah I know but everyone says they are so I thought he'd understand better if I said they are metalcore

Quote by Sami Philadelph
Quote by Crizzle
Try clouds over california by Devil Driver.

I think the band is called DevilDriver...

Quote by Sami Philadelph
Quote by pitobodies

And good metal songs to learn would be the entire discography of Judas Preist, Iron Maiden, and Dio, the greatest metal bands ever.

Yes, listen to him. +1
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Judas Priest is always good from Breaking The Law to the blistering Painkiller.
Maiden, Sabbath and some new stuff like Meshggah.
In Flames is also enjoyable.
Can't stop the spirits when they need you This life is more than just a read thru
It depends on your skill level. Yousay you have been playing a while but not seriously. What does that mean? A while to me is a few years.
Quote by srob7001
It depends on your skill level. Yousay you have been playing a while but not seriously. What does that mean? A while to me is a few years.

This sounds like me ive been playing guitar for like 4 years but dont seem to be improving atall i still cant solo. Or play very hard songs really getting to me. Want to start playing seriously.
Quote by the_b1ues
This sounds like me ive been playing guitar for like 4 years but dont seem to be improving atall i still cant solo. Or play very hard songs really getting to me. Want to start playing seriously.

If you want to play seriously, you have to get serious about practicing.....no ifs ands or buts. Only thing that will help you get better is yourself.

I wanted to get good on guitar when I started so I practiced about 6 hours a day....I am still wanting to improve so I still practice 3-4 hours a day. Guitar is very important to me so I cut out other things in my life to make time to improve my skills. And I think anyone else who REALLY wants to get serious about learning guitar..or anything for that matter..would want to do the same.
Quote by Hamuti
I have been playing guitar for a while now, but not taking it very serious. Now I wanna buy a new guitar and start taking it serious.
So i thought if you guys could help me a little with the songs. I have already found the guitar, so that's no need.
I like SlipKnoT, Bullet For My Valentine and that kind of stuff. Metal in general.
What could be good to start out with? About songs.

As someone already mentioned, they aren't metal. Second, if you really want to Slipknot then you won't need much skill (except a few songs which require intermediate guitaring skills). Same goes with BFMV. From Slipknot, learn (SIC), People=****, Liberate and stuff like that. IDK much about BFMV but Cries in Vain sounds like mediocre song so you should try learning it.

If you really want to play metal, start off with something like Maiden.. then move on to Metallica.. Slayer... Kreator... and on and on...
Quote by paranj
As someone already mentioned, they aren't metal. Second, if you really want to Slipknot then you won't need much skill (except a few songs which require intermediate guitaring skills). Same goes with BFMV. From Slipknot, learn (SIC), People=****, Liberate and stuff like that. IDK much about BFMV but Cries in Vain sounds like mediocre song so you should try learning it.

If you really want to play metal, start off with something like Maiden.. then move on to Metallica.. Slayer... Kreator... and on and on...

and eventually necrophagist!

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by srob7001

I've been playing for 1½ year now, and been playing in a little band for fun with some friends.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Because they are. Breakdowns, randy's more-hardcore-than-thou vocal style and the entirety of their earlier output make them a metalcore band. Notice: I'm not arguing, I'm damn well telling you.

TS: We can't tell you what to play, just find songs you like to listen to and try to learn them as best you can, you'll get better at playing and enjoy yourself, so knock yourself out.

So you'd consider Suffocation deathcore because they are death metal with breakdowns?
I agree on the vocals, but breakdowns don't make something hardcore. Yes, pretty much 99% of all -core music has breakdowns, but as mentioned previously, having breakdowns does NOT make the band hardcore.

Oh, and if you call Suffocation deathcore because they have breakdowns, please yourself and leave this planet.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by srob7001
If you want to play seriously, you have to get serious about practicing.....no ifs ands or buts. Only thing that will help you get better is yourself.

I wanted to get good on guitar when I started so I practiced about 6 hours a day....I am still wanting to improve so I still practice 3-4 hours a day. Guitar is very important to me so I cut out other things in my life to make time to improve my skills. And I think anyone else who REALLY wants to get serious about learning guitar..or anything for that matter..would want to do the same.

Whats sort of stuff do you do to practice?
Quote by the_b1ues
Whats sort of stuff do you do to practice?

Play your open chords so you can get used to switching the fingering.
Alt pick 3 nps scales
Alt pick 4 nps chromatics
Eco pick scales
Legato runs
Staccato licks
Blues Licks
Down picking rythems only w/ PM...maily so I don't lose any speed with downstorkes
Tapping
Slides
Bends
Playing along with songs..this is more of an ending thing once I am done practicing technique.

These are all things you can practice with a guitar in your hands.

But you can still practice without actually using your guitar.

Theory....learn it, use it, love it.

I won't practice all this everyday, but over a weeks time all of that has been practiced, and I don't mean used in a song....actual practice with a metronome for timing or with a tuner to really make sure you are getting your bends to the right pitch.
Alt pick 3 nps scales
Eco pick scales
Legato runs
Staccato licks
Blues Licks

lol dont no any of these.
Quote by the_b1ues
Alt pick 3 nps scales
Eco pick scales
Legato runs
Staccato licks
Blues Licks

lol dont no any of these.

Well in that case you should make a strong effort on your part to at least familiarize yourself with those techniques aver the next few months. Don't need to master them but at least know what they are and be able to do something involving the technique...even at a slow pace.

Always gotta start slow.