Right, I'm downsizing... a lot, getting rid of everything apart from my strat and an amp, pretty much looking for the best 5 watt amp, most probably tube..

Looked at the Vox AC4TV and had a passing glance at the bugera V5.

Any suggestions? Price isnt really a problem.. up until £500ish
what is that in USD?

anyway:
Blackstar HT-5
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
that blackstar looks pretty nice, love the sound of some of the bigger blackstar amps. Il check that out.
Never heard a blackheart but looks interesting, il give that a go too.

Any more suggestions?
Quote by DeltaFunk
what is that in USD?

anyway:
Blackstar HT-5

This. Can't beat a 5 watt combo with 2 channels, great cleans and distortion, 3 band eq, ISF for switching between British/American voicings, and a line-out for recording for $399.99. The head is $299.99 if you have a cab.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Quote by big fat donkey
oh yer.. mainly blues, a bit of jazz. never any high gain stuff.
USD about 825.

If you like the typical vox sound then the AC4TV would be great. It's got absolutely great cleans. Definitely give it a look.

For about £500 I'd look at this http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/30202-laney-l5t-112-lionheart-series-5-watt-boutique-combo-.html/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base
Admittedly I know little about it but you should have a look at it.

With that budget you've got a lot of options, make sure you try out as many as you can!
Then the Vox is a good choice. The Blackstar is an amp that is fairly versatile, but falls kinda in the high gain territory.
Are you kidding? Add a boost and the Blackstar HT5 is probably the best high gain, low wattage tube amp you can get (excluding customs and other rarities)
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Are you kidding? Add a boost and the Blackstar HT5 is probably the best high gain, low wattage tube amp you can get (excluding customs and other rarities)

He doesn't even want high gain....

EDIT: Fair enough
Last edited by aaronni at Jul 20, 2009,
I must admit, the AC4TV sounds pretty perfect for you. I would say, for 500, get either an AC4TV head, or a Blackstar HT-5 Head (up to you to pick which) and spend the rest on a really good cab. If volume isn't an issue the manual of the AC4TV recommends trying it with a VOX AC30 4x12 cab - but while sounding AWESOME its sh*t loud!
Quote by aaronni
He doesn't even want high gain....

I know that, I was just replying to the guy above me.
size is a bit of an issue too, got to be fairly portable, the Vox's attenuator makes it pretty versatile too so its looking a favourite at the moment.
Quote by slickerthnsleek

Isnt that what I said?
Quote by TubeAmp89
Isnt that what I said?

Probably just misread it, I misread it as "fails".

The Vox attentuator is great, I really can't recommend it enough.
Quote by The Pickle Man
Check out the Blackheart Little Giant.

I have this amp! Great sound, good tone and it can get pretty loud.
Fender Am. Dlx Strat HSS LT
Budda budwah
Fulltone OCD NEW!
Tonebone trimode
EB VP JR. NEW!
Boss TU-2 Tuner
TCE ND-1 nova delay
Voodoo Labs PP2+
Dimarzio Ygnwie, mogami gold, monster rock cables
BH little giant half stack
If you're buying new, get the Vox AC-4. You will be more than grateful for the variable wattage. I would get the head and combo, as both can be picked up for under £300 in total. The Blackstar is also a good choice, if you need the extra feature, and if you are able to crank a 5w amp - which is still pretty loud by the way. The EVA seems like a good choice, even though I've yet to try one but for what you get it's definitely a good deal. I can vouch for the Blackheart too, having owned one but I would only take one if I could crank it, and even then would probably take the 7/15w Handsome Devil over the Little Giant. The Tiny Terror and Night Train also become options within your budget, but dinkyness aside, these ared two different beasts, and the Vox is a much nicer amp.

Looking at used amps, obviously all of the above apply, but lurking around the top end of your budget are some excellent used amps. As mentioned, a Cornford Harlequin is an excellent boutique amp that you will never grow tired of. Another option is a used Hiwatt Custom 7, which goes for about £700 new, so I imagine it would go used for around £500. This amp would be worth it. Another excellent choice would be one of Cornells amps. If you want an American voiced classic amp in the Tweed Deluxe mould, then the Cornell Romany would be an excellent choice. If it's Marshall tone you are after then the Cornell Plexi Seven would be right up your street. I've played both and can vouch for their superb tone. Also, like the Vox AC-4, these have variable wattage, from 7w, to 2w, to 1/4w, so are extremely versatile for a variety of playing situations. Used, I've seen these go for £500.
Last edited by greggybhoy at Jul 21, 2009,
Vox AC4 it has a built in attenuator and its cleans are glorius, it also sounds great cranked or with a od in front of it.

I'm getting one soon as well.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
is there a particular reason you want to stick with 5w? Personally, with the $$ you have, i'd be looking at a new Laney VC15. classic tone and styling, and plenty versatile. but thats just my opinion
5 watt valve is still pretty loud, and cranking it the dosnt have to shake the neighbours house/destroy my eardrums (like the ac30 does at the moment), also so much easier for recording (for the same reasons) and portability: while carrying around the ac30 and an attenuator means i dont have to have a gym membership (they're bloody heavy for anyone that doesn't know) it would be far easier to have an easier amp.

greggybhoy thanks for all the info, exactly what i was looking for. The harlequin is a serious contender, heard some great things about it, and those cornells look pretty enticing too. More into the British voicings at the moment but i'l give them a go for sure.
The people reccomending the Blackstar HT-5 are totally jumping on the bandwagon. TS said he plays blues and jazz! He doesn't even need high gain! A Vox AC4, Blackheart Little Giant, or Crate V5 would do fine.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
The people reccomending the Blackstar HT-5 are totally jumping on the bandwagon. TS said he plays blues and jazz! He doesn't even need high gain! A Vox AC4, Blackheart Little Giant, or Crate V5 would do fine.

Thank god you're in these threads
Quote by aaronni
Thank god you're in these threads

Ego just went up 10 points
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
But its true, the vox ac4 is his best option.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Quote by Robino_Ibanez

Blues can mean different things to different people. Cream and The Allman Brothers are blues to me, and the HT-5 is great for that.

Try the amp before you buy ffs!

Am I on the bandwagon if I own one?
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Quote by Robino_Ibanez

Yeah, because EVERYONE recommending it are just bandwagoners who have never played it.

Oh wait...

And the amp doesn't JUST do high gain, there's a channel other than the drive channel in case you haven't noticed, and it does blues and jazz very well. Yeah, the rest of the amps you mentioned do blues and jazz fine too, that doesn't make the HT5 an invalid suggestion.
if you can get up to £500, you're well in range of some UK-based handwired amps, some of which greggybhoy mentioned. Things like martamp, matamp, valvepower (EDIT: valvepower isn't 5 watts), english valve amps, hayden, etc. I haven't tried most of those, but they're bound to be worth a look. Certainly those cornells and cornfords will annihilate things like the epiphone valve junior and similar amps. I haven't tried the vox ac4 yet, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 22, 2009,
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Yeah, because EVERYONE recommending it are just bandwagoners who have never played it.

Oh wait...

And the amp doesn't JUST do high gain, there's a channel other than the drive channel in case you haven't noticed, and it does blues and jazz very well. Yeah, the rest of the amps you mentioned do blues and jazz fine too, that doesn't make the HT5 an invalid suggestion.

Never said you hadn't tried the amp, but from what I understand it excels in the high gain and clean areas and doesn't do blues tones as well as some other amps in the price range, which seem to be the TS's main concern. Sure, it's very versatile, but if TS doesn't need high gain, why get an amp that focuses on that area when he could go for something else?

And yeah TS, if you do wanna save up, you could end up getting a really awesome boutique amp like a Matamp or Cornford.