I am about to get my first tube amp. I play in a lot of bars around town with a band. I am a bit confused about power conditioners. I have always played with a surge protector but I don't think that is the same as a power conditioner. When I look them up on musicians friend, the only ones that have the word "conditioner" in the description are rack units. I don't have a rack. The other ones seem like overpriced power strips. What is the difference between a "power conditioner" and the others? I'm not sure I want to buy one of the power strips if it is not going to do any more than my current power strip. Please help.
I have heard that you really need one with a tube amp. Is this true? Can anyone suggest a power conditioner that is not a rack unit?
Quote by Zacher
I have heard that you really need one with a tube amp. Is this true? Can anyone suggest a power conditioner that is not a rack unit?

No, you don't need one. If you were running a couple grand worth of rack effects etc. it would be a good idea. But if you have a standard head, cab, stompboxes setup then you just need a surge protector.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
It's good to have a power condition because of voltage spikes that could happen when plugged into the outlet/surge protector.

It's like diapers, it's to make sure **** doesn't fall all over the place because of an accident.

Just don't get the Furman M-8. I heard it was just a surge protector in a fancier case.
Quote by tubetime86
No, you don't need one. If you were running a couple grand worth of rack effects etc. it would be a good idea. But if you have a standard head, cab, stompboxes setup then you just need a surge protector.

I beg to differ.. Watch this video and see what happens to mister surge protector...

http://76.191.255.213/section2/FurmanPro_Ch45.swf

Or
Go here and then click on multimedia and watch it.. The above one is a bit big..
http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=PL-8C

And TS sorry I have only researched and purchased rack conditioners so I dont know which floor models will suit your needs. But an FYI they do make 1u racks so it might be worth looking into. Im making a 1u as we speak for myself since im downgrading.

Also they help regulate voltage, cure spikes, clean up noise in the line and a few other things. So there nice to have especially in a club.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 20, 2009,