Hi,
I'm wondering what should you be learning in your first few guitar lessons? And how can you tell right away if your teacher is a "good teacher" or not. What seperates a good teacher from a bad one? thanks
i sincerely don't mean for this to be a smart ass comment.

you know when your guitar teacher is a good teacher when you're actually learning. when you can see improvement in the things you feel you need to improve on as well as the things you never took the time to think about.

"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by konfyouzd
i sincerely don't mean for this to be a smart ass comment.

you know when your guitar teacher is a good teacher when you're actually learning. when you can see improvement in the things you feel you need to improve on as well as the things you never took the time to think about.

I just picked up the guitar a couple weeks ago and don't know what I should actually be learning though.
The teacher should be showing you the basics and giving you stuff to practice over the week. Then next week they would take a look at what you practiced over the week and point out all your mistakes.

Basically a good teacher will often tell you that you're no good, not to be rude but to motivate you. A teacher that always talks about how good you are isn't a good teacher.
Quote by -mikki6-
Hi,
I'm wondering what should you be learning in your first few guitar lessons? And how can you tell right away if your teacher is a "good teacher" or not. What seperates a good teacher from a bad one? thanks

Rather than judging your teacher, why don't you just see how it goes....one lesson at a time. It won't take you too long to know if it's working out or not. Keep in mind, that the effectiveness of a good lesson involves the efforts of the student as well.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Rather than judging your teacher, why don't you just see how it goes....one lesson at a time. It won't take you too long to know if it's working out or not. Keep in mind, that the effectiveness of a good lesson involves the efforts of the student as well.

this.

generally if the teacher shows u to play something using different fingers then the next week u come back using only ur index finger, its not the teachers fault and that the lesson will be repeated. that where the student fails to TRY in that end

its really a team effort
there are goals you would like to achieve , short term and long term ,
your teacher will help you find what they are and how to achieve them.
you will know right away if the teacher is for you if you come from the lessons feeling good about yourself .