Hi guys, ive been playing guitar for many years but recently joined a band. I play a PRS hooked up to a Marshall MG100HDFX; i was looking to get a noise gate/surpressor as when I turn the gain up high (say past 3 oclock)there seems to be a fair deal of feedback. Anyways after reasearching for a bit I seeme to have narrowed it to 2 contenders, the Boss NS2 and the MXR M-135. I am after a pedal that will help to supress the feedback from the amp rather than noise from pedals (as i dont use a distortion pedal). Any ideas? suggestions? advice? thanks!!
my first suggestion is get a different amp...seriously, that poor poor PRS.

as far as noise gates go, if u watch videos of the boss vs the isp decimator, the boss is a tone sucker, and the mxr isnt much better. go for the isp.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Thanks for that, believe me id love another amp but cant afford it at the moment :-(
is the decimator actually better than the mxr as i have heard mixed reviews about it.
youtube is ur friend lol. check out reviews or VS videos of pedals. from my opinion of what i heard, the isp sucks up less tone than the boss, and the mxr is decent, but still not there. the isp is kinda pricey though.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
ISP is the way to go. I love the way the decimator really helps quiet your rig down. Depending on the settings, you can use to help control feedback.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Everyone here seems to love the Decimator and hates the NS-2. I've used an NS-2 for several years and I've never had any problems with tone sucking. The only thing that I've ever noticed is that if the threshold and decay aren't set right it will completely kill your sustain.

My advice is to try the pedals out for yourself (if you they are available near you) and purchase the one that you like the best.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Everyone here seems to love the Decimator and hates the NS-2. I've used an NS-2 for several years and I've never had any problems with tone sucking. The only thing that I've ever noticed is that if the threshold and decay aren't set right it will completely kill your sustain.

My advice is to try the pedals out for yourself (if you they are available near you) and purchase the one that you like the best.

Ahh but have you ever owned a Decimator? And more importantly have you ever owned them both at the same time?
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 20, 2009,
IbanezPsycho has experience with these two pedals. (and apparently at the same time, too? did not realize that..)

I'd take in his advice on this matter without discretion.

The ISP would probably be better, though. If you can get a MIJ NS-2, then that would be great, too.
Last edited by dudey5691 at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by dudey5691
IbanezPsycho has experience with these two pedals. (and apparently at the same time, too? did not realize that..)

I'd take in his advice on this matter without discretion.

The ISP would probably be better, though. If you can get a MIJ NS-2, then that would be great, too.

Ya learn something new everyday..

Heres the deal... Since I have a bit of time now..

Side by side for killing feedback the ISP Decimator is amazing. With the NS-2 I have to max the thing out thats right straight up dimed to get it to work in comparision the isp is at 40-30 which sits right about 11-12 oclock.

Also side by side...

The NS-2 when used on the clean channel produced a noticeable hum and sucked tone on either channel.

The Isp decimator does neither of those two things.

But that said here's the reason I own a NS-2 (MIJ model now, yes I have experience with all three actually) and got rid of my Decimator.

The key and value with the NS-2 is the x pattern. I didnt want to shell out $240 bucks on a g string only to get a $500 rack decimator at a later date. So I did the next best thing. I picked up a MIJ NS-2 to kill two birds with one stone for the time being. Which it does work great but the MIJ one kicks the Taiwanese ones a$$ and she does suck tone alot less then the Taiwanese model. But im still diming the d@mn thing and there is still a ever so slight hum on the clean channel (yet again still better then the Taiwanese).

So the end result.. If its just feedback your having an issue with go with the Decimator. If its upfront feedback and backend hum and your on a budget go with the NS-2. Better yet find a MIJ model. And lastly if you have the cash ISP G-string or ISP Pro Rack G if you have a ton of cash.

As for the smartgate.... I haven't used it but I have researched it and everything runs alongside it being a little better then the Taiwanese NS-2 but not as good as the MIJ NS-2.

Hope that helps...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Ahh but have you ever owned a Decimator? And more importantly have you ever owned them both at the same time?

i've still got both actually.

anybody wanna buy an ns-2 from me? it's seen very low usage, honestly!
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Thanks guys, the reason i play through a marshall is cos i havent got a huge budget and i got the MG100HFX for 50 pounds(thats head and speaker) not too bad in my books. Regarding the decimator its over 100 pounds in the uk and not sure if i can afford that :-(, so i suppose its between the MXR and Boss NS2, with most ppl on here leaning towards the later one. Cheers ill try and check it out