Gain, gain, gain, and gain.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Mostly comes from your technique. You should be able to do them acoustically. High treble and gain will make them com out and scream better, but its mostly technique.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Different picks make it easier, and do it on the highest gain channel of your amp.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

Gain, tecnique, and where you do it.
With single coils the sound can vary a lot depending on where you pick.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Bridge pick up and lots of distortion
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Technique
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
All the things that people above me have been saying, but also if you have one of those pickup switches make sure its all the way down for lead guitar, when my guitar is on the rythem switch i cant get my pinch harmonics very well.
Quote by tate_ms777
All the things that people above me have been saying, but also if you have one of those pickup switches make sure its all the way down for lead guitar, when my guitar is on the rythem switch i cant get my pinch harmonics very well.

Did you know different guitars have different switches?

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I can nail them just fine on the neck or bridge pickup. It's technique. Settings just make it sound better, but the squealing quality is definitely technique.
Quote by Random3
Are there any optimum settings for pinch harmonics? I find with my current gear they are pretty hard to nail. Anything I can tweak to make them slightly easier?

Its all about technique .
Obviously you need distortion and a high treble might make it sound better but if you can't nail it, just means you need more practice.
Practice away.
Technique.

I can hit pinch harmonics on my clean Fender. Its not about gain, its about doing it correctly.
High gain, high treble, bridge pickup
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
The higher output the pickup the easier it seems to make them. I can do them without thinking about it and my Dimarzio D activators make them easier somehow.
GEAR:
Vox AD30VT XL
Jackson DK2M Dinky Trans. Black
Fender G-Dec
Razorback DB Black
EHX Metal Muff
Originally Posted by Kaasflipje
Metallica. I don't get what's so awesome about Master of Puppets.

he's awesome because he pulls strings
I got d activators and they're easy on them.
Especially harmonic pull off and harmonic slides
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
it really is all about technique. But gain makes them come out much more
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
bridge pickup, hot pickups, gain, technique

Yes you can pull them off on an acoustic, but you're not going to pull a full on shrieking squeelie without high gain.
Gear's : Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube | MicroCube | Noisy Cricket | Ibanez S470DXQM Blue Burst | Takamine EG440C
Pedals : MXR M-108 EQ | Digitech Bad Monkey, Sanpera I, GFS Tuner

Seref : Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could
it all depends what sort of pinches you want

lets assume you want zakk style screaming head popping style

your gonna want, very high gain, high treble, a high output pickup, a good distortion setting on your amp, the bridge pickup and of course good technique

and who ever says that pickups dont make a difference is talking rubbish. ive got two guitars, one with an ibanez v8 in the bridge and one with a dimebucker. the dimebucker pulls them off alot louder than the v8 because it has a higher output. zakks pinches are nothing special, its that bloody emg 81 that hes got.
technique, guitar tone and volume knobs on ten, enough gain, plenty of treble and mids, bridge pickup (preferably a humbucker), wide vibrato.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I find that the most important thing is a following the pinch immediately with a vibrato (or bend) for max squeal.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
yeah, definitely.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You have a lot of good answers here but I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. Right hand technique is what you have to work on. I dig into the string a bit and at the same time hit it with the thumb of my picking hand. It also makes a difference where you pick the string. You may have to play further toward the neck (or toward the bridge) than you're normally used to. After a while you won't even have to think about it.
do they sound weak/thin? or are you having trouble getting them to pop out at all? either one may be a problem with your technique. other than that, i'd say what pickups are you using?

and of course, your right hand technique--as has been already stated--is most important. you can have all the gain in the world, but if you're not hitting the string right it still won't spit out the harmonic right.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
I use high gain, bridge pickup and a lot of treble.

But my secret is the Dime-o-Tone which is amazing for punchy pinch harmonics, and wicked solos for that matter.

I also find pinch harmonics difficult to do with a thin pick. I can do them with a thin pick, but any thinner than .53mm is too thin. Its really easy for me to do with a 1.22 mm Frostbyte. The ends on those picks are tapered, and I think that helps a lot.

Technique is also important. When I do pinch harmonics, I hold the pick so that the tip of the pick is barely showing, in sort of an irregular way.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by BobDetroit
You have a lot of good answers here but I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. Right hand technique is what you have to work on. I dig into the string a bit and at the same time hit it with the thumb of my picking hand. It also makes a difference where you pick the string. You may have to play further toward the neck (or toward the bridge) than you're normally used to. After a while you won't even have to think about it.

most of the posts mentioned technique...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?