Is this worth getting? Does it enhance tuning stability at all?

Are there any that do it for all the strings?
yummm tuna
think imma go get me some tuna
good luck
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
i know tuna is good, but never heard of it enhancing anything on a guitar, good luck anyway
Gonna make the mountains be my home....

"A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through"-Robert Hunter
Ha! tuna....

You mean one of those things that you use to tune the E string down to D on a guitar with a floating bridge, right? I've never tried one, but I'm also interested in what people that use them think of them.

...or does the D just stand for "dolphin friendly"? Tuna is good because its protein, and that helps build your muscles, so in a way, it would help your hand muscles for guitar...
Smartasses.
the "D-tuna," is like a drop-shot, on the bridge. I've seen them on EVH guitars.

I'm pretty sure you either give it a pull, push or a twist and BAM you got a D.

By the way, a drop-shot (I think thats what they are called) is an actual tuner, it twists to the left by a certain amount to DROP the string down to a D or where ever you have it. It has to be set up by a pro unless you know exactly how far the tuning tower needs to go to tune down the string a step.

Is it worth it? Depends if you play in drop D and standard a lot. Or drop C and D standard. Or whatever.

Keep in mind, it's a on a Floyd. You'll always be in tune and you'll have a fun time switching tunings.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Smartasses.
the "D-tuna," is like a drop-shot, on the bridge. I've seen them on EVH guitars.

I'm pretty sure you either give it a pull, push or a twist and BAM you got a D.

By the way, a drop-shot (I think thats what they are called) is an actual tuner, it twists to the left by a certain amount to DROP the string down to a D or where ever you have it. It has to be set up by a pro unless you know exactly how far the tuning tower needs to go to tune down the string a step.

Is it worth it? Depends if you play in drop D and standard a lot. Or drop C and D standard. Or whatever.

Keep in mind, it's a on a Floyd. You'll always be in tune and you'll have a fun time switching tunings.

Im looking to find out from someone who HAS ACTUALLY USED one. I could prospect at what they are like myself.
I know someone who has, in fact he teaches me how to play guitar. Imagine that.
He says they're useful IF you switch between a standard tuning (E, D, etc.) and (Drop D, C, etc.) a lot.

IF you don't, it'll be useful because you don't need unlock the FR and tune down the one measly string, but at the same time it'll sort of be a waste of money.

So it saves tuning the E string down, but the FR's that have that feature are more expensive and are mainly on expensive, high end EVH guitars (Wolfgang comes to mind). I wouldn't use it much. I'm always playing in different tunings so I'd have to tune the string down anyway. And tuning with a floyd rose is annoying.
Well I cant say I own one but I see a few trouble spots that you might want to consider. It seems that the D-tuna hangs off the back of the string locking screw. On my Jackson this screw on the low E is very far back, close to the recess in the body. If this thing adds any length to this screw it could prevent you from being able to pull up or may even block the trem from sitting down in the cavity. The other possible problem is that I find on guitars without trems or at least without locking trems when you tune to drop d the whole guitars goes a little flat because of the decreased in tension on the neck. Since Floyds are especially sensitive to string tension this problem may be exacerbated. I think the fact that none of the hundreds of players on this site seems own one may be an indicator, but if you get one and it works well let me know because I'd love to be able to go back and forth from standard to drop D without doing a whole new setup.

After further research one retailer says:
Note: When using the EVH D-Tuna to prevent the other strings from going out of tune the bridge must be stabilized first. To do so we recommend using the Hipshot Tremsetter.
Last edited by fretz86 at Jul 20, 2009,
(to r0ckth3d34n) ^^ you could always buy it seperately and install it. it only works on OFRs though.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Last edited by randomhero93 at Jul 20, 2009,
Yeaah but installing stuff isn't my calling.
Plus the EVH Wolfgang is dug out further back so you can still pull the Floyd back with the D-tuna

As for making the whole guitar go flat, I see where that's very possible. But wouldn't be ****ty to sell something that does that?

Get a drop-shot instead. They cost like $75 for a bass, I know that. I would imagine it's probably $50ish for a guitar. Expensive, but worth it. Oh, and as far as I know it you can only install it on a MusicMan style headstock or 3 per side headstock.

I'd get that over a D-tuna any day.

EDIT: I KNEW that wasn't the right name, it's a hip shot. And this would probably work for most tuners. Since a lot of tuners are grovers....
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hipshot-GT1-Guitar-Ext-Key-Acoustic-Grover?sku=360811

$60 for mine.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 20, 2009,
the big problem with the d-tuna is that for it work properly, the trem has to be set up for dive-only operation- no up-pull. It really depends pn which you need more- up-pull/pitch raising ability, or the ability to quickly access drop d tuning.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I bought one, but I never installed it on my guitar, as you have to block the trem to do so, and I didn't think it was worth it.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by Dave_Mc
the big problem with the d-tuna is that for it work properly, the trem has to be set up for dive-only operation- no up-pull. It really depends pn which you need more- up-pull/pitch raising ability, or the ability to quickly access drop d tuning.

It's about time someone said it. You NEED a non-recessed trem (not positive that blocking it will work). And you can't pull up EVH Wolfgang. That recess is to make the trem lower profile.
^

My kramer came with one and it's recessed. Not sure what's going on there. Though it's a pretty shallow recess, with the D-tuna fitted it might as well be non-recessed, kind of thing, as the D-tuna overlaps the recess. Just would have to be sure that the D-tuna can take the strain of all the springs etc. Though i guess if it were balanced perfectly, it wouldn't have much strain on it at all.

^^ i removed mine for that very reason, i need up-pull more than I need drop D. I might actually put it back on as i have several guitars now, but yeah, it's a judgement call, and personally i'd need to have several guitars with floyds before fitting one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 20, 2009,
Or you know, you could lose the floyd and push the string down from the bridge or the nut. I do that on rare occasion. Hurts but... hell, you gotta make sacrifices somewhere.

Bending works too!
Quote by DaathMatal
Is this worth getting? Does it enhance tuning stability at all?

Are there any that do it for all the strings?

It's worth getting if you quickly need to tune to Drop D. You can buy one for every string, though i don't think they'd all fit. I know the Drop To Hell is in the works, which drops every string one half step down.