I wasn't sure where to post this, but here it is.

I have really long fingers, about 4 and a half inches. My hand span is a foot, and I can palm a frisbee.

I was wondering if having long fingers will compromise my ability to play at all.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to long vs. short fingers?
Nope. Neither help either way, all stretching is about practice and technique so stop worrying.

Shut up and play yer guitar!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Nope. Neither help either way, all stretching is about practice and technique so stop worrying.

Shut up and play yer guitar!

So someone who has abnormally short (say, 2 1/2 inch) fingers is just as well off as someone with 4 inch fingers?
Quote by timeconsumer09
So someone who has abnormally short (say, 2 1/2 inch) fingers is just as well off as someone with 4 inch fingers?

Within reason it makes no difference...
Quote by timeconsumer09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Skk9Q0Qd_k

Shawn Lane exhibiting some of the craziest stretches I've ever seen with, quite frankly, small hands.

Practice and proper technique are all you need.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah, though it may effect certain ways you do chords and whatnot... within reasonable bounds there is no difference. I have large-ish hands.... comparable to jimi hendrix's hands, actually I almost have 'bass hands'...haha... and other than being able to reach my thumb around easier on the E.... there really isn't a difference.
I never have difficulty 'performing' it right away with whistles, hums, 'grunts' and percussion.
Quote by JameelGuitar
With that fingers size, you can do the Allan Holdsworth chords without any effort

oh God...
Long fingers will make streches easier, so that is going to take less time to get up and going, but it wont make the guitar much easier an instrument,
Incarnation of awesomeness on earth.
My fingers are 2 inches roughly and i am 29. Very small. I play allan holdsworth stuff at a stretch (pun intended), and generally my fingers can be very fast. Its like chinese people...they are smaller and more agile. However you dont need that Shawn Lane insane speed for anything musical anyway,

I wish i did have bigger hands for piano.
Quote by se012101
Long fingers definitely won't hinder you. Check Paul Gilbert out.

I watched one Paul Gilbert video and that was enough to take away any doubts I had in my mind.
Quote by DaathMatal
My fingers are 2 inches roughly and i am 29. Very small. I play allan holdsworth stuff at a stretch (pun intended), and generally my fingers can be very fast. Its like chinese people...they are smaller and more agile. However you dont need that Shawn Lane insane speed for anything musical anyway,

I wish i did have bigger hands for piano.

are you trying to say that shawn lane isn't musical?
Big fingers, small fingers, medium fingers... doesn't really matter. You just encounter different problems. People with flexible, strong fingers do best - and both those attributes are developed with practice.
only thing that might happen is your hands might get caught in the cutaway :P
happens to me when i play SGs
I've actually got a cousin that's physically incapable of playing powerchords because her handspan is about 2 frets fully spread out - and she's 17!

EDIT:
Quote by seanandguitarra
only thing that might happen is your hands might get caught in the cutaway :P
happens to me when i play SGs

How do they get caught? I have pretty big hands (i'm 6 foot 5 so you get the picture) and i don't get my hands stuck in the cutaways of my SG :P
Last edited by Bigsteve92 at Jul 24, 2009,
Well, i have big hands (not VERY big, but big) and long slim fingers - and it helped me alot when i first started out - i remember my girlfriend back then also started playing, and i progressed MUCH faster than her - and in the beginning when you know squat about anything, it can be two things i suppose.. Talent or physique - and to be honest, it sure as hell weren't talent, i am one of the people who has to work musically for what i get, just as most people - so it must have been physique somehow..
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Skk9Q0Qd_k

Shawn Lane exhibiting some of the craziest stretches I've ever seen with, quite frankly, small hands.

Practice and proper technique are all you need.

yeh shawn lane is beast, I was reading that all of the Lane family have really stretching fingers think its called hypermobility or something.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Longer fingers and a wider hand is definitely an advantage in rhythm playing where you have to pull different sick chords, but in soloing smaller fingers are better: no stumbling in the small frets. I would prefer longer fingers :P, because learning to solo fast isn't that much of a problem.
Last edited by Amarant at Jul 25, 2009,
It won't be a problem, and to people with small fingers, small hands take a look at Alexi Laiho for god sake!