Page 1 of 2
So, GG&A, since I'm going to be buying a cheap guitar to mod, I figured I'd start on an entire seperate rig for shoegaze. This, however, presents a problem, since I know nothing about shoegaze stuff. For the amp, I was thinking Fender, something that takes pedals very well. Maybe a DeVille? What pedals are absolutely essential? What sort of pickups should I be looking for? Hit me with your best shot
The Fender Deville is great.
Sunn amps are great too if you can find one.
The Bassman is my favorite amplifier for Shoegaze.
The essentials would be a versatile delay and Reverb, as well as a great fuzz pedal.
For the Delay I recommend the T.C. Electronics Nova Repeater.
For the Reverb I recommend the Verbzilla is you want versatility, the spring chicken If you only want good spring reverb that can be controlled via Expression pedal (which is very usefull in shoegaze for cresendos and really fuzzy walls of sound).
For the fuzz it is really personal preferance.
I like the Russian Big Muff Pi myself, but there are alot more choices you should really look into.

The guitar you chose is actually not bad at all

The postrock thread has a lot of shoegazers in it, that would help you and would love your presence by the way

EDIT: If you can, get a second delay such as the DD7 that has a built in looper so you can not only have 2 delays at once, but also have a looper which tends to be very usefull.
Last edited by [[BurnTheDusk]] at Jul 20, 2009,
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']The Fender Deville is great.
Sunn amps are great too if you can find one.
The Bassman is my favorite amplifier for Shoegaze.
The essentials would be a versatile delay and Reverb, as well as a great fuzz pedal.
For the Delay I recommend the T.C. Electronics Nova Repeater.
For the Reverb I recommend the Verbzilla is you want versatility, the spring chicken If you only want good spring reverb that can be controlled via Expression pedal (which is very usefull in shoegaze for cresendos and really fuzzy walls of sound).
For the fuzz it is really personal preferance.
I like the Russian Big Muff Pi myself, but there are alot more choices you should really look into.

The guitar you chose is actually not bad at all

The postrock thread has a lot of shoegazers in it, that would help you and would love your presence by the way

I would love to find a Sunn amp near me, that I could actually afford. Don't think it's going to happen any time soon, though There's DeVille's all over the place here, though.
I have a friend who's always talking about his Verbzilla, I'll be sure to check that out, but the expression pedal thing sounds interesting.

I had no idea that the Duo-Sonic existed until today, and my immediate reaction was:

Thanks for all the help, I'll check out the post-rock thread too
I was going to suggest two delays as well. If I were playing shoegaze on the reg, I'd want an analog delay(like my Ibanez AD99) for the sheer sound quality of them. The second is for more functionality. I don't particularly like the sound quality of Digital delays and modelers, but the added functionality is pretty essential to shoegaze. I think in shoegaze most of the time you're going for a wall of sound without too much for the listener to anchor on rhythmically....wispy, per se. That's where the extra delay functionality is great.

Not essential, but an octaver pedal can do some really cool things to swampy delay-soaked clean guitar sounds.

I'd be looking for a Black-face Fender Twin Reverb, but if you're on a budget(like I usually am), you're probably better off waiting and saving up for that one.

Good Luck!
Quote by Led Dirigible
I would love to find a Sunn amp near me, that I could actually afford. Don't think it's going to happen any time soon, though There's DeVille's all over the place here, though.
I have a friend who's always talking about his Verbzilla, I'll be sure to check that out, but the expression pedal thing sounds interesting.

I had no idea that the Duo-Sonic existed until today, and my immediate reaction was:

Thanks for all the help, I'll check out the post-rock thread too

Name some bands you're into.
Here's a demo of the Spring chicken.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2AS11JgSDA
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Name some bands you're into.
Here's a demo of the Spring chicken.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2AS11JgSDA

Sadly, streaming video is a no-go with my internet connection.

As far as bands go, right now I'm listening to Glifted, My Bloody Valentine, Sianspheric, Galaxie 500, All Natural Lemon & Lime Flavors, and The Brian Jonestown Massacre.
Check out the Band Etlyn Zylin.

hmmm...
I would give clips if i could, but alas I do not own much of those.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Check out the Band Etlyn Zylin.

hmmm...
I would give clips if i could, but alas I do not own much of those.

Will do. Thanks again for all the help
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Stacked humbuckers in the size of single coils so you have no more hum?
That won't be that much of an issue with shoegaze music. I personally play this style music a lot. I use my Fender Strat that has a set of EMG SV's in it. It sounds great.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-EMGSV-Vintage-Single-Coil-Active-Pickup-Set?sku=300259&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=149870734

I'd recommend the following set up. Not saying its what you NEED but, it works well.

Guitar >> Digitech Compressor/ Sustainer >> OCD Overdrive >> Digitech Digidelay >> Phase 90 >> Chorus >> Fender Deluxe Reverb
For delay I'd look at the T.C. Electronic RPT-1 or ND-1, Line 6 DL4, Boss DD7, EHX DMM or SMMwH, Digitech Hardwire DL-8 maybe, Eventide Timefactor, T-Rex Replica, Tech 21 Boost D.L.A, and any Malekko delay you like.

For reverb: Malekko Spring Chicken, T-Rex Tonebug 'verb, and maybe the Line 6 Verbzilla?

For fuzz, there is lots of different breeds of fuzz, so it kind of depends. For thick & heavy fuzz, look at the Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz, DBA Fuzz War, Will Sledge's The Judge (also does crazy well) Diamond Fireburst, Earthquaker Hoof Fuzz, any Big Muff, Tortuge Fuzz-stortion, Catalinbread SFT, Mojo Hand Huckleberry, and the Way Huge Swollen Pickle. Also, Devi Ever's Shoegazer, perhaps?

For sharp and nasty, look at the Malekko Assmaster, MJM London Fuzz, Spaghetti Western Fuzz, and the Wattson Superfuzz.

I'm definitely forgetting more than a few, there's so many pedals out there.
Bear in mind though that with fuzz, you have to decide what you are in the market for, unlike overdrive Fuzz has a plethera of charictors and forms.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Bear in mind though that with fuzz, you have to decide what you are in the market for, unlike overdrive Fuzz has a plethera of charictors and forms.

Well, I was thinking something fairly thick and heavy, and since I need one for the other styles I play, I'll probably pick up a Big Muff. Still clueless on those pickups, though.
I play a good dose of shoegaze, and here is what I have found does really well.

Reverb: Boss RV-3. Sort of sterile, but does not muddy up a whole lot on the longer settings, like the Holy Grail for example. Also has delay functions, which are VERY useful.

Digital Delay: I use a Boss DD-6, which has a 5 second loop in addition to all kinds of crazy delay sounds. While it's not the best sounding digital delay, I would say that the digital delay in a rig is more for atmosphere building than actual tone.

Analog Delay: This is the important one. I would highly recommend the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay if you can afford it, same with the T-Rex Replica or Reptile. EHX Memory Man (not Hazarai model) works really well, or you can do like me and wait til the Memory Boy comes out

As others have said, Fuzz is very important. I'm running a Russian Big Muff, which is great, but I'm in the market for another fuzz. Mitchell posted a great list of Fuzzes to check out, but also look into the Z.Vex Mastotron for bass heavy fuzz, or the Z.Vex Fuzz Factory and Will Sledge's The Judge (a clone of the Fuzz Factory) for a versatile fuzz. Some say that the Fuzz Factory is overrated. I still like it a lot :P The Death by Audio Fuzz War is crazy, with a thick, ridiculous tone that can work pretty well in shoegaze.

For pickups, check out Lollar and Novaks. Both make pickups that would fit the Duo Sonic really well. Those are fantastic guitars, and it'll work great with shoegaze. I would recommend the Lollar Special T-Series Telecaster p/u for the neck (it should fit) and a single coil size P90 for the bridge. I don't dig humbuckers for shoegaze, but that is personal preference.

One thing that was neglected is a nice chorus for some shimmery tones a la Slowdive. I personally like the EHX Small Clone. Lush, inexpensive, and versatile.

I hope this helps. Good luck man!

PS: I forgot to add that my secret weapon is the Akai Headrush E2 delay/looper. Loops can be really useful for playing shoegaze, and I love my Akai. Check one out
Last edited by Mr. Jiggy Fly at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly
I play a good dose of shoegaze, and here is what I have found does really well.

Reverb: Boss RV-3. Sort of sterile, but does not muddy up a whole lot on the longer settings, like the Holy Grail for example. Also has delay functions, which are VERY useful.

Digital Delay: I use a Boss DD-6, which has a 5 second loop in addition to all kinds of crazy delay sounds. While it's not the best sounding digital delay, I would say that the digital delay in a rig is more for atmosphere building than actual tone.

Analog Delay: This is the important one. I would highly recommend the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay if you can afford it, same with the T-Rex Replica or Reptile. EHX Memory Man (not Hazarai model) works really well, or you can do like me and wait til the Memory Boy comes out

As others have said, Fuzz is very important. I'm running a Russian Big Muff, which is great, but I'm in the market for another fuzz. Mitchell posted a great list of Fuzzes to check out, but also look into the Z.Vex Mastotron for bass heavy fuzz, or the Z.Vex Fuzz Factory and Will Sledge's The Judge (a clone of the Fuzz Factory) for a versatile fuzz. Some say that the Fuzz Factory is overrated. I still like it a lot :P The Death by Audio Fuzz War is crazy, with a thick, ridiculous tone that can work pretty well in shoegaze.

For pickups, check out Lollar and Novaks. Both make pickups that would fit the Duo Sonic really well. Those are fantastic guitars, and it'll work great with shoegaze. I would recommend the Lollar Special T-Series Telecaster p/u for the neck (it should fit) and a single coil size P90 for the bridge. I don't dig humbuckers for shoegaze, but that is personal preference.

One thing that was neglected is a nice chorus for some shimmery tones a la Slowdive. I personally like the EHX Small Clone. Lush, inexpensive, and versatile.

I hope this helps. Good luck man!

PS: I forgot to add that my secret weapon is the Akai Headrush E2 delay/looper. Loops can be really useful for playing shoegaze, and I love my Akai. Check one out

Marry me. No, seriously, thanks a lot, this exactly what I was looking for.
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly
Cheers, friend

Good luck with everything! Post sound samples when you're done

Will do. 'Course, that means I'll have to buy a mic in addition to all this gear..
Poppycock! Do like I did and record crappy demos using your computer's built in mic (if it has one )

Of course, then it will pick up all the clicks from stepping on the pedals >
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly

You'll need to fight me for it

Fine then.

I would get a Verbzilla....but i need someone to tell me it's not noisy or hissy.
And has nice modulated rvb.
The octo setting is pure sex.
Quote by unet

Fine then.

I would get a Verbzilla....but i need someone to tell me it's not noisy or hissy.
And has nice modulated rvb.
The octo setting is pure sex.

Aww.

Regarding the Verbzilla, I have played it and I don't see what all the hype is about. It's definitely better than most Line6 pedals, but it still sounds pretty sterile to me. Also, there are some really cool settings (like the octo) that can be just as easily imitated with a nice octave and a nice reverb. Seriously, save yourself the money and go with something from T-Rex or maybe see how the EHX Cathedral turns out.

Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly
Aww.

Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly

Regarding the Verbzilla, I have played it and I don't see what all the hype is about. It's definitely better than most Line6 pedals, but it still sounds pretty sterile to me. Also, there are some really cool settings (like the octo) that can be just as easily imitated with a nice octave and a nice reverb. Seriously, save yourself the money and go with something from T-Rex or maybe see how the EHX Cathedral turns out.

Possible...never tried it.
The TRex won't have the amount of reverb i need.
(You know this! You use the RV-3)

The Cathedral might be too expensive....i don't think i could do more than $140.
Quote by unet

Possible...never tried it.
The TRex won't have the amount of reverb i need.
(You know this! You use the RV-3)

The Cathedral might be too expensive....i don't think i could do more than $140.

How about the Boss RV-5? I've never played one, but I hear that the "mod" setting is pretty fun.

And yea, the TRex, while a nice sounding reverb, is pretty limited in its length. That was a stupid suggestion :P

I have no idea how much the cathedral will be, but i'm guessing more than $140 haha. But yea, check out the RV-5!
Flerb is stupid in my opinion. It's like a heavy vibrato mixed with some weird oscillations. Basically something that may sound cool, but lacks musical context.
Sounds interesting though.

I always make good use of oscillations.

I'm off to bed now.
I'm going to have reverb dreams....
Page 1 of 2