yeah, this thread might be better for the pit, but i hate it there

i was thinking about getting a ukulele for my birthday in a couple weeks and im wondering if theres anything i should know. like what strings to get, good beginners brands, major differences between uke and guitar, types of ukes, etc.

any help is appreciated
Aquila strings are my favorite, but everyone has different opinions. You need to decide between tenor and soprano, which is personal preference again. I have both and they both have their place. Ask the searchbar too, because I've posted in a handful of uke threads with great info.

Also, it is gcea but ukes aren't low to high like a guitar, they're out of order.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Yeah, ukeleles have different tunings. The actual standard is the gcea tuning, which is the "correct" way to play it, but the strings don't go from highest to lowest or lowest to highest, they jump around, and its really wierd until you get used it it.

Some people tune it so that it has the same intervals as the top 4 strings of a guitar. Others (like me when I borrow my friend's uke) tune it to an open tuning. I personally tune it like the top 4 strings of Open D on a guitar and it works fine.

All three of those styles of tuning are common, though purists often assert the need to start out on the traditional tuning. The guitar type tuning might be the best to start out with if you are used to that from guitar or bass.
Composer of Scores for Film/Video Games/TV/and More!
Contact me if you have a project that you need music of any style for!
Quote by Sid McCall
Aquila strings are my favorite, but everyone has different opinions. You need to decide between tenor and soprano, which is personal preference again. I have both and they both have their place. Ask the searchbar too, because I've posted in a handful of uke threads with great info.

Also, it is gcea but ukes aren't low to high like a guitar, they're out of order.

actually the one im looking at is a concert, which is between tenor and soprano (according to wikipedia)
i have a soprano and a concert, and i like to think i know a bit about ukuleles....

but yeah, i second aquilar strings, especially with koa ukes (not that i own a koa, just played one with aquilars and omg...was so sweet sounding)

beginner brands, well, my first was a mahalo, which wasnt too bad, stayed in tune pretty well, but was a made in china, laminate wood job, and doesnt sound that great, compared to my solid mahogany tenson uke (not sure about availabilty of this make, got it in germany in '02 and i've never seen another one about).

for sizes, id say either concert or soprano, but if you like tenors, id say go for it. the first two are the most common with beginners, and i personally love the sound of all 3 (assuming you dont want a baritone), so play a few, see how they feel. much like guitars, ukes are all different, so check out a few brands before you buy.

hope this helped, just ask if you need any more info
i'd say that uke looks like a pretty solid purchase for a first time buyer, made of nato wood, which has similiar tonal qualities to mahogany, and looks really quite nice. i've heard a few good things about that brand of ukuleles, but again, i'd say try and get a chance to play on it, many of my decisions have been swayed by having the chance to play around.

for example, when i was looking for my 2nd bass guitar, i really liked ibanez and i went round trying loads of different ibanez basses, but i happened to try out a fender p bass, and i then switched to trying fender out, before settling on, not a p bass, but a fretless jazz, and its been brilliant to me

just see if you can try it out before buying, but if thats not possible, i would say go for it, if you're sure