basically ive been learning slap bass for a while and i have the technique but when i plug in i cant quite get that tone

help please?
what kind of bass do you have? and what amp?

i've been playing bass for maybe 6 months now and i'd like to know the same thing. i'm gonna hang out here for a little while.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Please head to the Bass-forum and read the stickies there.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

-George Carlin
SCOOP YO MIDS PUNK

a lot of slap players also use active pickups/preamps/witchcraft too
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by konfyouzd
what kind of bass do you have? and what amp?

i've been playing bass for maybe 6 months now and i'd like to know the same thing. i'm gonna hang out here for a little while.

i got a squire P-bass and an Ashdown Electric Blue 180
gear:
Squire P-Bass
Ashdown Electric Blue 180
Ibanez ARC 100
Line 6 Spider III
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
SCOOP YO MIDS PUNK

ahh... scooped mids... we meet again...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
SCOOP YO MIDS PUNK

scoop? are you sure:|
that punchy slapping sound sounds very mid heavy to me
i'd say bass 4-6 mid 7 and treble 6 scooping mids just means it sounds compressed and doesnt cut through( i know compressed isnt the correct word but think of it literally)
Quote by superfish1232
scoop? are you sure:|
that punchy slapping sound sounds very mid heavy to me
i'd say bass 4-6 mid 7 and treble 6 scooping mids just means it sounds compressed and doesnt cut through( i know compressed isnt the correct word but think of it literally)

yes i mean scoop. in fact no, obliterate

the only reason a guitar with scooped mids doesnt cut through is beacause it's very mid heavy to start with and the bass drowns the lower frequencies and the cymbals drown the highs. different story with bass

also: you may want to invest in a compressor. tbh your squier/ashdown rig should do the job

EDIT: ok maybe not obliterate but you get my drift
Last edited by stevo_epi_SG_wo at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
yes i mean scoop. in fact no, obliterate

the only reason a guitar with scooped mids doesnt cut through is beacause it's very mid heavy to start with and the bass drowns the lower frequencies and the cymbals drown the highs. different story with bass

also: you may want to invest in a compressor. tbh your squier/ashdown rig should do the job

im gunna test that out comes my 70s marshall bass amp
any pickups that would facilitate a more slap friendly tone?
i think were both abit wrong
high mids and low mids both gave pretty nice, but different slap sounds
then i turned the presence up.. then we got the nice sound
Quote by superfish1232
i think were both abit wrong
high mids and low mids both gave pretty nice, but different slap sounds
then i turned the presence up.. then we got the nice sound

what's the difference between presence and treble?

by the way... i just started bass so i don't even have a freakin bass amp! i'm running it through the clean channel on my guitar amp. what would be a good amp? i'm probably going to stick with bass. i'm making what i would consider progress pretty quickly...
be careful, you can break a guitar speaker with a bass, theyre not built to handle low frequencies and general funk.

ask bass forum for amp reccomendations
^if the volume isn't over 50% then it should be all right
as for decent bass amps, indeed, go look at the bass forums
the fender rumbles are cool, the marshall MB is also good (it's not as bad as the MG, my bassist had one and it was awesome), roland cubes, yorkville... lots of good brands =)
oh yeah, and ampegs are the ****
A friend of mine uses a Way Huge Swollen Pickle With his bass rig and get some killer tones outta it from John Entwhistle to Flea ****.