Is that a good idea? how are british schools and stuff? need input from the brits
Quote by bluesrocker101
Hmm, you might just be my favorite Oct. 06er.

Quote by acdc51502112
agreed

You benedict!
Quote by Kensai
Happy birthday

Quote by TSmitty6
is it me or does the black kids head look like a bong, and the girl behind him just took a hit and is zonked out?
What's a senior year?

Different education system, so doing one year is not possible.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by *mystery*
Is that a good idea? how are british schools and stuff? need input from the brits

I'd be willing to bet it would be better than Florida.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
do it. if anything teaches america that we arnt either posh dandys or victorian chimney sweeps its a good thing.
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
School ends when you're 16 in the UK.

Only if you're thick
6th Form is awesome in UK.

You just go down the High Street, grab some beers and KFCS, in between lessons.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
6th Form is absolutely wizard in UK.

You just go down the Oxford Street, grab some champagne and top hats, in between lessons.

fixed for Britishness.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by EndTheRapture51
6th Form is awesome in UK.

You just go down the High Street, grab a spot of tea and some crumpets, in between lessons.

fixed
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by urbanfox
Only if you're thick

Or clever enough to go to college and spend 2 years doing a negligible amount of work for the exact same end result as 2 years of A Levels (alternate name: fact retention that in no way prepares you for life after school).
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
6th form (last 2 years, not compulsory) is great. Quality of the Education can only be better then in the US :P. Because a lot of the retards leave before the last 2 years its pretty decent, if you go to a nice school. If your parents are rich you could always go to a private school, in which case the education is (usually) better, but expensive.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Quote by timi_hendrix
Or clever enough to go to college and spend 2 years doing a negligible amount of work for the exact same end result as 2 years of A Levels (alternate name: fact retention that in no way prepares you for life after school).

alternate alternate name: uni entrance exams.

college is just another form of schooling as well. so your point is redundant.

schools are ok over here.

what did you expect us to say?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Minkaro
I hope you're including Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in this UK thing

*Ahem* Fix'd.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by Minkaro
I hope you're including Scotland, Wales and Ireland in this UK thing

Ireland? You sure?

Anyway I don't really see the point doing one year of school in a different country. If you were coming over to go to a good university or something then I could see it. Plus the school system is different depending on where you go so I imagine it would be a little awkward to fit you in.
Quote by Mechanixx
6th form (last 2 years, not compulsory) is great. Quality of the Education can only be better then in the US :P. Because a lot of the retards leave before the last 2 years its pretty decent, if you go to a nice school. If your parents are rich you could always go to a private school, in which case the education is (usually) better, but expensive.

1. Having experienced both, I have to say that the UK's public education system was one of the worst experiences of my life (although, to be fair, I did go to a private American school before that).
2. The retards might be gone during 6th Form, but if you're doing A-levels with nothing on the side, don't expect to be getting a quality education.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by Minkaro
Oh, you're good.

You may enter!

Enter what sir?

There be many things I can enter.
Quote by MakinLattes
Quote by thewho65
The last two years are compulsory and all the idiots are out? I must learn more about the U.K. education system.
The last two years aren't compulsory so all the idiots tend to leave of their own accord
Why would you want to leave your high school for your senior year? I wouldn't want to start over like that, especially for just one year. Unless you are a loser with no friends at your current school, than the transition would be easier.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by Karvid

2. The retards might be gone during 6th Form, but if you're doing A-levels with nothing on the side, don't expect to be getting a quality education.

I don't know what it's like in america, but what you learn in school is mostly useless anyway. If your doing A-Levels you can get into any British Uni, and those are top class (as are american ones though) and you learn there anything you may need in your future career.
Quote by Rockstar12345
Quote by stinger12345
Why would you want to leave your high school for your senior year? I wouldn't want to start over like that, especially for just one year. Unless you are a loser with no friends at your current school, than the transition would be easier.

This. Plus, with the systems being completely different, there's really no reason to go to England to study until you've finished high school (if that's what you want to do).
Quote by Mechanixx
I don't know what it's like in america, but what you learn in school is mostly useless anyway. If your doing A-Levels you can get into any British Uni, and those are top class (as are american ones though) and you learn there anything you may need in your future career.

Not necessarily. You need to do more than just pass your A-levels to get into the best British Universities. The reason for this is because the A-levels are not an accurate measure of a person's intelligence or knowledge, especially with the curriculums getting easier and easier. That's why so many people with straight A's get turned down; it's not necessarily that hard to cruise through your A-levels.

There are far better options for education when you reach "post 16," including private schools, the IB, or various other European based programs, and, having spoken to a lot of people in the field, they are far more sought after than good A-level results.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Last edited by Karvid at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by timi_hendrix

Meh.

I did a negligible amount of work doing my A levels, although I did only end up with a D and 3 Es

I'm crap at being made to learn stuff... I do well with stuff that's more intelligence based though and I'm also a vault of useless trivia
Quote by urbanfox
I'm crap at being made to learn stuff... I do well with stuff that's more intelligence based though and I'm also a vault of useless trivia
I think most people learn better left to their own devices. Most people never remember anything they're forced to learn in school past exam times. I didn't even get that far
dude...you live in america and you want to come here!?! its a **** hole!
god loves the working man. unfortunately, that puts me in deep crap.

you sir, may c*m blood, but i sh*t diamonds, guess which is more painful. especially after curry.

+ =
As long as you understand that you will not be taught magic or go on wizard adventures go for it.

anyways you'd probably have crappy results if your just doing one year. If its the last year of secondary school you'd have missed Science modules and coursework (I think) and at A-level you'd have missed the AS's
Quote by Karvid

Not necessarily. You need to do more than just pass your A-levels to get into the best British Universities. The reason for this is because the A-levels are not an accurate measure of a person's intelligence or knowledge, especially with the curriculums getting easier and easier. That's why so many people with straight A's get turned down; it's not necessarily that hard to cruise through your A-levels.

There are far better options for education when you reach "post 16," including private schools, the IB, or various other European based programs, and, having spoken to a lot of people in the field, they are far more sought after than good A-level results.

I am well aware of how the university application system in this country works, having already had to do it myself...

Whether you do A-Levels, the IB, the EB (which I did), or any other qualification, marks alone never get you in at a good British University. That's why we have the personal statement, the reference and the Interview process.

A huge majority of the people who attend British Universities did A-Levels. To say that they are somehow a negative factor in your chances to get in is incorrect.
Quote by Rockstar12345
Quote by Mechanixx
I am well aware of how the university application system in this country works, having already had to do it myself...

Whether you do A-Levels, the IB, the EB (which I did), or any other qualification, marks alone never get you in at a good British University. That's why we have the personal statement, the reference and the Interview process.

A huge majority of the people who attend British Universities did A-Levels. To say that they are somehow a negative factor in your chances to get in is incorrect.

They are not a negative factor, but other choices simply look better on your application.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Don't come to England, no one likes you fat yanks here. We don't have enough McDonalds for your kind.
Infact no one anywhere has enough McDonalds for you, just stay in America in the safety of your burgers, where the bread is replaced by Krisy Kremes.

Yeah, annoying isn't it?
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Don't come to England, no one likes you fat yanks here. We don't have enough McDonalds for your kind.
Infact no one anywhere has enough McDonalds for you, just stay in America in the safety of your burgers, where the bread is replaced by Krisy Kremes.

A bunch of meat, bacon, and onions+cheese pizza=best burger ever?
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Quote by Karvid

A bunch of meat, bacon, and onions+cheese pizza=best burger ever?

That looks disgusting!